What's new

Can we please SWATCA?

captp,
you are correct all these acronyms are here to help.. It's clear as AMUD to me..

BTW, is WIKI an acronym?

Wiki is from the Hawaiian word for quick
TMYK

proxy.php

Good luck with stopping 50,000+ members from using acronyms to describe stuff on the site. Acronyms are a part of everyday life, and B&B (Badger and Blade) is no different.

I think you would find much better success with getting behind the steamroller and pushing, than trying to stand alone against it. As [MENTION=105427]beamon[/MENTION] posted, learning acronyms is a rite of passage, and it helps you form a bond with the community by learning their language.

$steamroller.jpg

I am now checking myself on use of acronyms as I agree with the thought here. I think most of us here get the common abbreviations (DFS, MWF, YMMV, etc.) But we should all check ourselves when running off a list of acronyms that are not universally understood. the other day I saw someone list his favorite soaps all by acronym and I only recognized one of them! This is just IMO so thanks for listening!

While all is true that you say, the use of acronyms exist in everything in which we indulge. Once learned, they are a real timesaver for their proponents. They're a 'rite of passage', the secret handshake to our club, if you will. I decry them when joining up with any new interest, but eventually succumb to the pressure and hunker down to learning them.

This is so true! It's funny how each group develops their own secret language. For an aquarium forum that I used to regularly post at, a PIF was called a RAOK (Random Act Of Kindness). An AD was called MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome).

Half the fun, IMO, is learning and using the language of the group. It helps you fit in faster.

When I first discovered this small part of the web I had no idea what anyone was saying. I discovered the the wiki page posted above ( http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Abbreviations ) and for a couple of weeks I had the Acronym page in a seperate tab as I parused the forum. First acronym I learned...SWMBO.

I'm new here, and I still have to have that page open in a separate tab. the one I still haven't figured out is YMMV. I googled it and came up with "Your mileage may vary" is that right?

I'm new here, and I still have to have that page open in a separate tab. the one I still haven't figured out is YMMV. I googled it and came up with "Your mileage may vary" is that right?
Yup...it's the standard for not everything works for everyone.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I applaud your motivation, OP, but acronyms and other abbreviations are and have been part of informal and technical communication for so long that they are the standard. Likewise, it's become an accepted (if not treasured) part of the culture here. As already mentioned, many do not always (or ever) access the forum through a device with a keyboard, and abbreviations help a great deal.

Truly, it does not take a great deal of effort to discover their meaning. Just as another reply pointed out, I've yet to see a question about an acronym or other abbreviation go unanswered, and some of us even put the Wiki link to their definition in our signatures.

Cheers!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
thank you, been wondering if that was right for about a week and didn't want to start a thread just to ask.

Never hesitate to ask, especially just within the thread where you see such a thing. Folks don't at all mind answering.

Welcome to B&B!

When I first discovered this small part of the web I had no idea what anyone was saying. I discovered the the wiki page posted above ( http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Abbreviations ) and for a couple of weeks I had the Acronym page in a seperate tab as I parused the forum. First acronym I learned...SWMBO.

Ha! Those of us who watched Rumpole were ahead of the curve!

I'll be darned if I'm going to type out the entirety of SWMBO every time, esp. on the tablet! :laugh:

Fine folks of Badger and Blade, can we please Stop With All The Crazy Acronyms (SWATCA)?

We are supposed to be a polite, mature and genteel group. As such LOL and ROTFL are not seen much. However MdC and MWF and AOS and WCS and TSD and many other much more complicated acronyms seem to be generally accepted.

Acronyms are supposed, by some, to be a time saver. But for whom? And, does it really take that much more time, given our expected life span. Is 10 extra seconds typing out Martin de Candre instead of MdC really that big of a hit considering the 2.2 billion seconds most of us can expect to spend on this earth?

Someone may wax poetic about XRTYC shave soap. Or is that a brush? But if I don't know what XRTRC is, how can I research it further or even buy it or even try it?

Our pursuit here is all about taking time to think about and enjoy something that many others look upon as a chore. Can we take that same time, and energy, to make posts that don't need a reference chart to fully understand?

I for one am swearing off ATCA and will be typing out full words whenever possible.

Here, Here! I concur completely, Or ICC for short!:001_rolle

Top Bottom