What's new

Can we please SWATCA?

Fine folks of Badger and Blade, can we please Stop With All The Crazy Acronyms (SWATCA)?

We are supposed to be a polite, mature and genteel group. As such LOL and ROTFL are not seen much. However MdC and MWF and AOS and WCS and TSD and many other much more complicated acronyms seem to be generally accepted.

Acronyms are supposed, by some, to be a time saver. But for whom? And, does it really take that much more time, given our expected life span. Is 10 extra seconds typing out Martin de Candre instead of MdC really that big of a hit considering the 2.2 billion seconds most of us can expect to spend on this earth?

Someone may wax poetic about XRTYC shave soap. Or is that a brush? But if I don't know what XRTRC is, how can I research it further or even buy it or even try it?

Our pursuit here is all about taking time to think about and enjoy something that many others look upon as a chore. Can we take that same time, and energy, to make posts that don't need a reference chart to fully understand?

I for one am swearing off ATCA and will be typing out full words whenever possible.

Last edited:
If I speak about a speeding ticket - can I still call it RADAR? Or do I say "a Radio Detecting and Ranging unit?". :001_cool:

As a new guy here, weeding through all the acronyms can be a bit daunting. Many times I've read a glowing review of a product only to have no idea what it was or where to find it due to all the acronyms used. And yes, I've read the sticky on the acronyms but I sure can't memorize all of them!!

Type however you prefer, but I agree with BMblB(is that an acronym? Haha). If your post is meant to be informative to everyone, even us wet shaving rookies, then perhaps easing up on the acronyms would be helpful.

Maybe refer to whatever it is by its full name initially and then abbreviate throughout the rest of the post. Something like this...

My first shave cream purchase was Taylor of Old Bond(TOBS) Street Sandalwood. It's still the only TOBS products I've tried, but I'll be trying other TOBS shave creams soon.

Obviously there are a few that are almost universally recognized by anyone who has been around here more than five minutes. But I have to admit, there are a lot of times when I am reading a post, and have to ask myself, "What the Hell does that mean?" , or "When did that soap become XPTSDY?"

I have to go with the OP on this one. ;)

I had a similar experience to the OP when I first jumped on here. Over time, I have come to appreciate the acronyms. I see it as kind of a puzzle to figure some of them out. Most are pretty self-explanatory and the others give me something to think about. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

While all is true that you say, the use of acronyms exist in everything in which we indulge. Once learned, they are a real timesaver for their proponents. They're a 'rite of passage', the secret handshake to our club, if you will. I decry them when joining up with any new interest, but eventually succumb to the pressure and hunker down to learning them.

All you can do is what you're doing and that's to rail against them, but I'll guarantee that it'll do no good. In a few months you'll be tossing them around with alacrity. As suggested, keep that Abbreviation WIKI on a separate tab in your browser, get comfortable and start switching back and forth (though the ones that are not in the WIKI will drive you nuts, as they have me)! :tongue_sm

BTW, your screen name is kinda obtuse, I'd say.

I learned a whole bunch from that page just now, the most interesting is that lilac vegetal can be acronomized as LV or the Veg.. I wonder if there is a difference personality wise between who uses what. I think I have always preferred LV.

Obviously there are a few that are almost universally recognized by anyone who has been around here more than five minutes. But I have to admit, there are a lot of times when I am reading a post, and have to ask myself, "What the Hell does that mean?" , or "When did that soap become XPTSDY?"

I have to go with the OP on this one. ;)

With all the new "artisans" and their "stuff", it does take a moment to figure out what the acr is. For a moment I have no idea what CC was, but knew Co9T. Trying to figure out a scent acr can be ridic, but its all in good fun and part of the hobby game.

In all seriousness, I don't see a problem with all the acronyms for 2 reasons.

1.) It's our own language, I feel that we have some inside sayings that no one else would understand and that brings us closer as a group
2.) Not everyone posts from a laptop/desktop. Many users are visiting here on a cell phone or tablet and the acronyms are a great convenience.

My brother works in the computer industry (hardware) and mentioned once that everything has to have a TLA. I asked what's a TLA? He said it's a Three Letter Acronym. Ha! My parents were in healthcare beginning in the early 1950's. In those days to shorten things they used part of the first word and part of the second to make a new word. For instance, feminine napkins were referred to as peri-pads (kind of in the same family as HazMat).

For me the acronyms first hit me back in the early 2000's when I was getting into newsgroups. I am a big movie fan and the newsgroups started throwing my with things like OHMSS and YOLT in the James Bond groups or POTA in the Planet of the Apes group.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Sorry, but I think we all suffer from a serious case of AMUD*. It's gotten so bad that we have even stolen initialisms and claimed them as our own.

*Acronym Make Up Disorder

Top Bottom