What's new

Can we please SWATCA?

Ha! Those of us who watched Rumpole were ahead of the curve!

I'll be darned if I'm going to type out the entirety of SWMBO every time, esp. on the tablet! :laugh:

SWMBO is the one that originally drove me to the acronym sticky. It was driving me nuts, I absolutely could not figure it out! Lol! But, I have to point out that "SWMBO" is only one letter shorter than typing out "my wife". But the latter doesn't throw the auto correct on my phone or tablet for a loop!

There are many occupations that have acronyms. In the legal area, we have NLRB, OSHA, IRS, SCOTUS, RIL, ADA, BLS, BNA, DOL, etc.

Some abbreviations are Greek to most of us, some acronyms (building a word out of the first letters of a phrase) are necessary bandwidth savers. That's why B&B limits the size of sigs. Just look at my own sig. It would take 4 - 5 times the space without acronyms, Many members are in a similar situation.

SWMBO is the one that originally drove me to the acronym sticky. It was driving me nuts, I absolutely could not figure it out! Lol! But, I have to point out that "SWMBO" is only one letter shorter than typing out "my wife". But the latter doesn't throw the auto correct on my phone or tablet for a loop!

The advantage to SWMBO is that it covers all possible variations. It'd be insane to refer to SWMBO as my "girlfriend," given she's 65! "Significant Other" works for more sexual persuasions, but it's a horrible formulation. "Mate" gets the Australians all confused. LOTH (Lady Of The House) works, provided she's a lady. :laugh:

When SWMBO had an operation last year, we had to identify my relationship to her at check-in. I suggested "boy toy." Which caused the girl behind the desk to snort, as I'm in my 60s too! :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You need to check your TDY pay on your LES.

a

This always makes me laugh.

One I always liked an an Engineer in the Navy was

"The MPA told the DCA, who was the OOD, that the DOC put the DFT OOC."
or
The Main Propulsion Assistant told the Damage Control Assistant, who was the Officer of the Deck, that the Dissolved Oxygen Content put the De-aerating Feed Tank Out Of Commission.

Last edited by a moderator:
One I always liked an an Engineer in the Navy was

"The MPA told the DCA, who was the OOD, that the DOC put the DFT OOC."
or
The Main Propulsion Assistant told the Damage Control Assistant, who was the Officer of the Deck, that the Dissolved Oxygen Content put the De-aerating Feed Tank Out Of Commission.

LOL! I got a million of them. Some 'saltier' than others.

You are right. The Military is the acronym king.

Using an acronym is a little too much like saying, "I know what this means. Perhaps you do not."

I prefer using language to communicate rather than to obscure.

The advantage to SWMBO is that it covers all possible variations. It'd be insane to refer to SWMBO as my "girlfriend," given she's 65! "Significant Other" works for more sexual persuasions, but it's a horrible formulation. "Mate" gets the Australians all confused. LOTH (Lady Of The House) works, provided she's a lady. :laugh:

When SWMBO had an operation last year, we had to identify my relationship to her at check-in. I suggested "boy toy." Which caused the girl behind the desk to snort, as I'm in my 60s too! :lol:

Lol!!! Thanks for the laughs!

Top Bottom