What's new

Can they be saved?

Lots of good advice here, and I'd just emphasize that there are a number of stages - just polishing is not sufficient.

Firstly, you need to get all the old polish off (even if there isn't much), because it will be hard and cracking. So, a cleaning product, like saddle soap for example.

Then you'll need to try to get some oil back into the leather - if it's been neglected it will have dried out a lot, and even if you won't get it back to the way it was you still have a decent chance of getting it reasonably supple again. One of the recommended conditioners perhaps - I last used Mink Oil for the job, but that often darkens the leather by a shade.

Only then use a polish, and for at least the first few months I'd suggest using a cream polish as that will help to continue reconditioning the leather with fresh oils. And if all works out, you can move to a wax polish later.

And, you might not be able to justify the cost, but I think they'd benefit from shoe trees inside while you're doing all this (and also for long-term) as they'll help get the leather back into shape.

I'd love to have a go at getting those back to life myself, but I live far too far away to be able to help.

Oh, and yes, Clark's might not use the finest leather, but it's still very serviceable stuff that should last a long time and their shoes are usually well constructed (very well for price). My most frequently worn pair of shoes is my Clark's brogues with commando soles.

Last edited:
haha I'm just in the starting to gather information phase of home brew, but BBQ mmmm I can give ya some advice there. If you haven't checked it out yet head over to the Mess Hall, there is a thread dedicated to BBQ at the top in a sticky. So much good info over there!

I've seen it, but I am trying to protect myself from diving down too many rabbit holes atm. In a couple years, my wife and I will be done with school and the exploration can truly begin!

Lots of good advice here, and I'd just emphasize that there are a number of stages - just polishing is not sufficient.

Firstly, you need to get all the old polish off (even if there isn't much), because it will be hard and cracking. So, a cleaning product, like saddle soap for example.
I've been reading other threads and seen some suggestions for using nail polish remover to get the old polish off. Would that be a good way to go on these? I'm curious to see what that does to the leather.

And, you might not be able to justify the cost, but I think they'd benefit from shoe trees inside while you're doing all this (and also for long-term) as they'll help get the leather back into shape.
As as for shoe trees, that's another item on my list. As I see the wear forming on some newer shoes, they keep moving higher and higher on my list. Most likely I will get some next month. Any tips on what to look for for quality shoe trees at a fairly cheap price, or where to look? So far, Nordstrom's Rack and Macey's are a couple nicer places I've seen them, but I haven't looked into what makes a quality set yet.

I'd love to have a go at getting those back to life myself, but I live far too far away to be able to help.

I appreciate the generosity of the good folk here on B&B. Although, with these, I would want to be there with some one working on them since they are a learner pair for me. And, you and the other contributors to this thread have already been a great help! I was at a loss, but now I have a plan and am excited to see how these shoes turn out!

I've been reading other threads and seen some suggestions for using nail polish remover to get the old polish off. Would that be a good way to go on these? I'm curious to see what that does to the leather.

I've heard of people using solvents successfully, but I've not tried it myself. If I did, I think I'd try isopropyl alcohol 50/50 with water and use it very sparingly with a damp cloth. With a solvent, I think you need to be working carefully on the surface and need to be careful not to soak the leather with it.

As as for shoe trees, that's another item on my list. As I see the wear forming on some newer shoes, they keep moving higher and higher on my list. Most likely I will get some next month. Any tips on what to look for for quality shoe trees at a fairly cheap price, or where to look? So far, Nordstrom's Rack and Macey's are a couple nicer places I've seen them, but I haven't looked into what makes a quality set yet.

That's good to hear - I think trees are essential. I'd say just get cheap wooden ones on eBay. Essentially, you need something to keep the basic shape - and then wood helps draw moisture out of the shoe after wearing where plastic doesn't. Something like this - but obviously get the right size! (and look around for a cheaper seller).

My trees cost me only around $20 a pair and I have them in every pair of shoes - even my Church's custom grade shoes get basic $20 wooden trees.

Trees should help the reconditioning process too - they'll help stretch out the leather and let the oils penetrate better.

I appreciate the generosity of the good folk here on B&B. Although, with these, I would want to be there with some one working on them since they are a learner pair for me. And, you and the other contributors to this thread have already been a great help! I was at a loss, but now I have a plan and am excited to see how these shoes turn out!

Don't forget to let us know how it turns out!

I've been reading other threads and seen some suggestions for using nail polish remover to get the old polish off.
PS: I've been looking around various sites and blogs, and it does sound like people have had success using nail polish remover - it has to be worth giving it a go.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412082168.042246.jpg

The container on the right is being dropped in the mail today. I will duck tape the lid on just to be sure it doesn't leak out. It doesn't look like much, but a little goes a long way! I have you enough for easily two conditionings and most likely a few more.

View attachment 501754

The container on the right is being dropped in the mail today. I will duck tape the lid on just to be sure it doesn't leak out. It doesn't look like much, but a little goes a long way! I have you enough for easily two conditionings and most likely a few more.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch soccerguy! I'm looking forward to trying it out. Pictures (and likely more questions) will follow once I have given it a go.

Will do! I'm getting some Saphir renovateur as a PIF, so I will post pics after that. And after nail polish if I end up doing that.

Nice PIF :thumbup1:. I think I'd be tempted to use the solvent first to remove old polish - just be sure not to let it soak into the leather too much. Then that should let the Saphir penetrate better.

Nice PIF [emoji106]1:. I think I'd be tempted to use the solvent first to remove old polish - just be sure not to let it soak into the leather too much. Then that should let the Saphir penetrate better.
NO! Use a bar of saddle soap. The polish will come right off.

I guess I'll try the saddle soap first and if it doesn't seem to work well enough, experiment with the solvent.

Solvent is really only necessary if you have multiple applications of polish that need to be stripped off. Since you said that the shoes weren't really cared for much prior to you getting them, and that you subsequently scrubbed them thoroughly with saddle soap, I'm going to suggest just skipping the solvent/nail polish idea all together.

Thanks to your advice and a generous PIF by Soccerguy, I was able to treat these shoes to two lathers of Saphir Renovateur as well as the care of shoe trees (which I am convinced are a MUST).

As as a reminder, here is what they looked like to begin with.

$image.jpg

Here is what they looked like about 14 hrs after applying the renovateur.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Obviously, they look WAY better. A friend even said the looked new.

However, this is what they looked like after wearing for about 2 hours. (And yes, those are the same shoes. Lighting is just different)

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Still MUCH better (I'm sold on Saphir Renovateur too). But, I am convinced there is still room for improvement. The plan is to apply more renovateur to just the cracked seams and see if they will continue to improve as they drink it in. If that doesn't improve them as much as I hope, I have a few different restoration paths in mind, but would appreciate the advice of B&B sages concerning which fork to venture down next.

1) Purchase and apply the medium brown Saphir cream.
2) Use a very fine sand paper to remove the surface layer of leather as the damage seems not to go very deep. Then re-apply Saphir Renovateur followed by medium brown cream.
3) Strip with water/nail polish remover solution and apply renovateur and cream.

Thoughts, cautions, advice? And as always, thank you again. I have very much enjoyed this journey and all the positive, educational interaction here on B&B.
AND, I am actually comfortable wearing these shoes in public again! So, even if they don't get better, they are already good enough. :)

Really, the creasing for those is not too bad, and the before and after pictures are night and day. That's a good example of how conditioning is great for shoe care.

Any shoe, even really high quality ones, is going to crease when you walk in them. These are Clark's, so while the leather isn't total crap, it's not top quality so it's going to crease. I'm not sure if polish and continued conditioning will have a huge amount of improvement. Continue to maintain them, but I would NOT do anything as drastic as taking sandpaper to them. If you're not happy, then the cream polish is your best bet.

Ultimately though, if you want your shoes to look perfect and creaseless, the only way to do that is to leave them on the shelf.

Those cleaned up nicely. Looks like the creases could use some polish (pigment) to even the color out.

If you ever need to resole those Clarks you may want to consider Resole America. I have not used them but learned about them from this guy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, the creasing for those is not too bad, and the before and after pictures are night and day. That's a good example of how conditioning is great for shoe care.

Agreed! I'm grateful for all the input and the PIF from soccerguy. I finally have a decent pair of brown shoes to add to the rotation.

Continue to maintain them, but I would NOT do anything as drastic as taking sandpaper to them. If you're not happy, then the cream polish is your best bet.

I think I will try the polish. The third application of renovateur did continue to improve them, but diminishing returns are definitely in effect. I think I will postpone the next straight razor purchase and invest in some Saphir products.

Thanks again ya'll!

Talon, those before and afters are amazing! That's why I wanted you to be able to try the renovateur, Saphir products are fantastic! I agree with the statements above, those shoes are going to crease, I understand where you are coming from and if after the third application just to the creases it's still looking that way, a pigmented cream may be in order. Congrats on your restoration!!

That's a really big improvement from their original state - nice job!

You won't get them back to perfection, for sure, and shoes do indeed always get permanent creases. I'd say maybe try a colored cream or wax polish to try to get a bit more color into the creases, but don't worry too much - it's all part of the patina of worn-in shoes, and you've given new life to a nice old pair!

Top Bottom