What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Early warning! :wink2:

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2024 Edition

1707224223136.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Happy Friday to everyone and a small congrats to myself as my Knockout razor made it to Florida. I doubt I’ll see it before Monday or Tuesday, but it’s getting closer. Pretty quick delivery from the UK. I expected it would take at least a week or so more than what is the likely delivery date…….USPS hasn’t given an actual delivery date yet.

SOTD
SOTD-Knockout-W_2024-02-11.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Mike's Unscented (7)
Razor: 1947 Knockout
Blade: FlyDear (10)
ASL: Caffè Latte [home brew]

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

Every single member of today's software and hardware team is a star.⭐ I'll move on from the FlyDear blade next shave (due to being fickle and liking variety), but I've had ten excellent shaves from it and I'm sure there are plenty more excellent shaves left in it.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Thank you, Simon. :biggrin:

I think so too, but the underside of the cap is different to the one shown on mr-razor. I'll check with Achim.
I think it is @Cal

It's a French 1940 razor. Made in France exclusively, some examples. But this is where the joy of the history of historical vintages kicks in, as always, and you have to take into account the realities of the time it was made.

In the winter and spring of 1940 France was straining every sinew in frantically rearming. It was a pretty desperate time and they were very stretched. They had ordered over a 1,000 US aircraft because domestic industry could not
keep pace.

It's likely that some modelle 25 examples used imported English made brass plated end caps, because UK industry still had slack at this stage.

Just a theory, but it certainly appears to be a 25, but with an English imported end cap. Bakelite was pretty plentiful in material and ease of manufacture, but some brass plated caps may well have been imported for some specimens.

By the way, heres a couple of interesting threads which cover your lovely Knockout bakelite
Sheffield Safety Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/sheffield-safety-razors.505224/#post-

knockout razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/knockout-razor.103124/

It was certainly made from the mid 30's to maybe 1950. It was not a post war razor from my reading.

I need one.

Last edited:
SOTD
View attachment 1795343 :001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/42
Soap: Clubman
Razor: French Gillette Bakelite Tech
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (1)
ASL: Clubman Musk

A fabulous shave! :biggrin:
My new (to me) Bakelite Tech and its teammates played an absolute blinder. :punk:

Frankly, I'm not the biggest Tech fan but that is one of the best looking ones I've seen. That contrast between the cap and the bakelite really makes it pop. Enjoy!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had my first half face shave with my Knockout last night. It didn't get me quite as close as the Bayonetta I used on the other side of my face, based on face feel this morning after 10 hours or so when I got up this morning. I'm sure it's because my technique needs work with the Knockout. It's hard for me to imagine it surpassing the shaves I get with my Athena, but that's what YMMV is all about, I suppose.

So Cal, I know you usually shave steep. I'd welcome any advice that comes to mind for using the Knockout. The only other razor I have that is this light would be the PAA Filament. I sort of duplicated the technique I use for it or at least, I made the effort.
I think it is @Cal

It's a French 1940 razor. Made in France exclusively, some examples. But this is where the joy of the history of historical vintages kicks in, as always, and you have to take into account the realities of the time it was made.

In the winter and spring of 1940 France was straining every sinew in frantically rearming. It was a pretty desperate time and they were very stretched. They had ordered over a 1,000 US aircraft because domestic industry could not
keep pace.

It's likely that some modelle 25 examples used imported English made brass plated end caps, because UK industry still had slack at this stage.

Just a theory, but it certainly appears to be a 25, but with an English imported end cap. Bakelite was pretty plentiful in material and ease of manufacture, but some brass plated caps may well have been imported for some specimens.

By the way, heres a couple of interesting threads which cover your lovely Knockout bakelite
Sheffield Safety Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/sheffield-safety-razors.505224/#post-

knockout razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/knockout-razor.103124/

It was certainly made from the mid 30's to maybe 1950. It was not a post war razor from my reading.

I need one.
Thx for the links...
I think it is @Cal

keep pace.

I need one.
Alum Ladd, the links didn't work for some reason....

So Cal, I know you usually shave steep. I'd welcome any advice that comes to mind for using the Knockout. The only other razor I have that is this light would be the PAA Filament. I sort of duplicated the technique I use for it or at least, I made the effort.
Hi Kim,

I nearly ALWAYS shave steep. I shave the same way with virtually EVERY razor I have.

So, the guard is (nearly) always on my face and I vary its pressure from firm to negligible BUT blade pressure is ALWAYS as near to zero as I can get it.

I continually play with face and neck contortions to find the best for each area (and usually as soon as I think I've cracked it in one area, I then find a better way :lol1:).

PLEASE NOTE:
Razor handles are always fairly close to my face/neck while shaving. BUT, this angle will vary with each razor due to their geometries being different.

I hope that's of some help.

Cheers,
Cal

I had my first half face shave with my Knockout last night. It didn't get me quite as close as the Bayonetta I used on the other side of my face, based on face feel this morning after 10 hours or so when I got up this morning. I'm sure it's because my technique needs work with the Knockout. It's hard for me to imagine it surpassing the shaves I get with my Athena, but that's what YMMV is all about, I suppose.

Thx for the links...

Alum Ladd, the links didn't work for some reason....
Try this @Phoenixkh Sheffield Safety Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/sheffield-safety-razors.505224/

Got a Knockout! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/got-a-knockout.157951/

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thx, Simon. Both threads were interesting and informative. Mine doesn’t look to have ever been used but was missing the blade and instruction booklet. I knew only the razor was in the original box so I’m not disappointed. I’m not a collector, just a guy who likes a bit of variety. The Knockout scratches that itch.

SOTD
SOTD-GFBT-O_2024-02-13.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/42
Soap: Clubman
Razor: Early 1940s French Gillette Bakelite Tech [on Phoenix Filament handle]
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (2)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

The French Bakelite Tech is an excellent razor (for me). :w00t:

Top Bottom