What's new

Calling all VINTAGE SIMPSONS - Hear Ye Hear Ye

Up from the depths. Two I finished last night. BAC3 and a Hoffritz Case both have TGN F2 knots in them.

proxy.php

Here is a new acquisition of mine, before any cleanup. Perhaps one of the experts here will recognize this model?

The last character appears to be 4 – maybe "S4"? The line below that probably reads "Best Badger". It bears some resemblance to an emperor or fifty series, but the lines seem a bit different to me. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a new acquisition of mine, before any cleanup. Perhaps one of the experts here will recognize this model?

The last character appears to be 4 – maybe "S4"? The line below that probably reads "Best Badger". It bears some resemblance to an emperor or fifty series, but the lines seem a bit different to me. What do you think?

looks a bit like an early as3 or 4 m also?

It has the overall shape of a Fifty or a Special, but a center ridge that is more like the Emperor. I'll go with a Special.

Thanks for the help, gents. In good light I can see that the middle line is "PURE BADGER". Looking more closely there is also an "S" peeking through the top center of the label. You can just make it out in the first photograph. So I thought the "S" under the label might also signify "Simpson", in case the decal wore off. Some vintage Rooney brushes have an "R", I think? In the end I got out the USB scope for a closer look, at about 50x.

The more I looked at the top line the more I thought it might be "24".

The detail is easier to see in person, but I think that curve to the left of the "4" continues down to join that tiny angled bit of darker color in line with the bottom of the "4", that suggests the "2". That bottom corner seems too sharply angled for an "S" or an "E". Then I found http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/329087-Simpson-27-Butterscotch-Pure-Badger discussing a "27" and a "26", in a similar style. I suppose these "twenties" might be the ancestors of both the Special and the Emperor?

Below is a recent brush purchase that I am hoping someone could give me some info on.
I asked Mark Watterson, Managing Dir - Progress Shaving Brush (Vulfix) about it. He said that it pre-dated their acquisition of the Simpson brand in 2008 so he wasn't able to offer more then to confirm tha it is an authentic Simpson vintage brush. I am very new to shaving brush collecting and would really appreciate any info that I receive. As best I can see the side reads "27 Pure Badger" but I am curious about the style of brush, approx age, how long does it generally take for a brush to "turn" butterscotch, etc...

attachment.php

Thanks in advance for even the smallest detail or background info anyone could offer.

This picture may help.This is a 26 with pure badger and the original sticker... you can see how similar looks to the emperor on the left.

The bottom on the 24 handle seems to be a bit less bulbous, but they seem to be in the same family.

Here are a few of mine.

First is an AS2 made for Abraham & Strauss.$Simpsons AS2.jpg

Next is a BA8, made for B. Altman.$Simpsons BA8.jpg

Next is an unknown model, but was restored and re-knotted by Simpsons.$Unknown Simpsons.jpg

Finally, these IM3's, made for I. Magnin. Often called Snowmen, but referred to as Bumblebees, by Gary Young.$Simpsons IM-3.jpg

It is very nice. It was filled with Silvertip (per their invoice) and feels like a smaller version of my T&H Simpsons E3 that also says Silvertip. The knot is 19/47 by my calipers.

What are the estimated vintages of the brushes on this page?

I wish I knew more about placing vintage brushes. For Simpson I think I have seen older brushes with "Made in London" decals and I believe they moved from London to Nimmer Mills around the time WWII started. If that is right, we can say that a "Made in England" decal is WWII or later.

I wish I knew more about placing vintage brushes. For Simpson I think I have seen older brushes with "Made in London" decals and I believe they moved from London to Nimmer Mills around the time WWII started. If that is right, we can say that a "Made in England" decal is WWII or later.

IIRC, Gary said that the company moved to Somerset from London in 1942 due to the Blitz. I know that Connie has a London-stamped brush, and I saw another with a different handle style come up for auction about a month ago. I've never seen another.

I bought this the other day fully expecting a restoration project BUT I believe I'm gonna keep it original for the time being. After cleaning the knot several times it has really bounced back. We'll see...
I had given up all hope on ever owning a Simpson's much less a vintage butterscotch one. I just happened up on this one at a reasonable price and I actually had that much in my bank account so I pulled the trigger on it.It is much smaller than I had pictured in my mind 48mm tall that's just the handle. The knot is 20mm and a loft of 42mm.
The markings are: X1 Pure Badger and the usual Simpson's sticker.
Anybody got an official name for this fella?? I've been looking and haven't got the info I wanted so I'm still digging..Not real good photo's but I was excited!!!! Before and after a bit of clean up:

$001.jpg$008.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this the other day fully expecting a restoration project BUT I believe I'm gonna keep it original for the time being. After cleaning the knot several time it has really bounced back. We'll see...
I had given up all hope on ever owning a Simpson's much less a vintage butterscotch one. I just happened up on this one at a reasoable price and I actually had that much in my bank account so I pulled the trigger on it.It is much smaller than I had pictured in my mind 48mm tall that's just the handle. The knot is 20mm and a loft of 42mm.
The markings are: X1 Pure Badger and the usual Simpson's sticker.
Anybody got an official name for this fella?? I've been looking and haven't got the info I wanted so I'm still digging..Not real good photo's but I was excited!!!! Before and after a bit of claen upa:

View attachment 392620View attachment 392621

That's a nice looking Beaufort, my 2nd favorite Simpson handle.

Thank You Beginish(Bob) I appreciate the Identification... Never really studied them because I thought they were out of my price range, but ALWAYS admired them!!!
And the photos suck.. I'm setting here looking at it and it's much prettier in person..

Top Bottom