What's new

Buy blades to keep manufacturer alive, or just ones you like?

Let's say there's several blades you like.

Some of them might have closed up shop or moved production, but you know there's a stash of stock somewhere you could buy in bulk from. Others are chugging along the same as always.

If you were going to buy blades, would you buy up what you like even if it's NOS in some sense, so you can get it while you can? Do you buy to help the actively producing manufacturer stick around? All of the above?

Maybe I'm overthinking it; it's just a question that's been bubbling in the back of my mind lately.
People mentioned that 3rd world countries are the biggest consumers of DE blades, this is true but we also forget the barbers worldwide. If a barbershop has employees 10 barbers, and every barber gets 20 customers a day well imagine how many DE blades they're using in one week.

A while ago I tested the Indian Astra SP and it shaves exactly like the Russian Astra SP, there is 0 difference between those two blades. I really doubt the plant in Russia will go bankrupt because of the sanctions. They could still produce new blades and sell them to other countries, it's only the Western world and a couple Asian countries that have sanctioned Russia. African, Middle Eastern, South and Central countries are still doing business with them.

If I find a razor that works well for me I will buy a couple 100 of them. We have to accept that things will change sooner or later. I remember when I got my first Proraso Green AS, it was the older formula but later they changed it. The new formula does smell different and I remember many people here opened topics about it. And now? No one remembers it and people have moved on.

My guess is that you'll still be able to buy Russian blades via vendors who're in countries who didn't sanction Russia.

People mentioned that 3rd world countries are the biggest consumers of DE blades, this is true but we also forget the barbers worldwide. If a barbershop has employees 10 barbers, and every barber gets 20 customers a day well imagine how many DE blades they're using in one week.

A while ago I tested the Indian Astra SP and it shaves exactly like the Russian Astra SP, there is 0 difference between those two blades. I really doubt the plant in Russia will go bankrupt because of the sanctions. They could still produce new blades and sell them to other countries, it's only the Western world and a couple Asian countries that have sanctioned Russia. African, Middle Eastern, South and Central countries are still doing business with them.

If I find a razor that works well for me I will buy a couple 100 of them. We have to accept that things will change sooner or later. I remember when I got my first Proraso Green AS, it was the older formula but later they changed it. The new formula does smell different and I remember many people here opened topics about it. And now? No one remembers it and people have moved on.

My guess is that you'll still be able to buy Russian blades via vendors who're in countries who didn't sanction Russia.

Yeah I was thinking about the barber market when looking at Feathers in packs of 200. Their website seemed really oriented toward salons and barbers, and the pricing — as well as blade design — makes a lot of sense if you think about barber use. The pricing was really heavily discounted with larger numbers of blades, more so than other manufacturers, and it makes sense to target the first shave in terms of blade characteristics if the blade isn't going to be reused.

Yeah I was thinking about the barber market when looking at Feathers in packs of 200. Their website seemed really oriented toward salons and barbers, and the pricing — as well as blade design — makes a lot of sense if you think about barber use. The pricing was really heavily discounted with larger numbers of blades, more so than other manufacturers, and it makes sense to target the first shave in terms of blade characteristics if the blade isn't going to be reused.
Prices between vendors can differ a lot. I found one German vendor who sells 200 Feather blades for 55 euros, while an another vendor sells them for 120 euros.

My barber uses Astra SP's, Permasharps, Derbies, Super MAX and Feathers.

Top Bottom