What's new

Building boxes?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I had to build another box for my les lat. The last one cracked on me. This wood is coming from an old barn so this time I brought it in the house to acclimate for a week prior to building the box. So far no problems.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 123
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Love
Reactions: CCR
That one is a beauty. I love reclaimed wood from barns. Suits that stone perfectly, though I'd have been tempted to stain it a shade darker.

David

Yeah, I think a bit darker would've been nice, but tung oil was all I had at the house. That's just one coat...I'll probably do at least 3 more.

David

No I just used it straight. Never heard of doing that before but I'll try it on th next one. Makes sense.

David

Here's after the second coat. It's a little darker now

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 104

David

I've got a size 10 Les Lat bout in the mail. It should make for an interesting box. It had an odd shape

David

I know. I'm pretty excited about it myself. That WTB add was a success...I've got two headed my way.

David

But, a size 10 really isn't as big as it sounds...it's something like 84-100 sq cm, or a 4x4 parallelogram. Ish

ambrosia maple with the worm holes intact. very good choice for a box a little expensive for an old barn though.good job on the box.

David

Thanks. The wood came from a barn in PA. My buddy had it taken down and brought it down here and used a lot of it in his house. This piece was from a huge beam that we had cut down. I didnt know what kind it was though. Whatever it is it works very well.

We got tons of amish around here. They'd build things out of diamonds if diamonds were wood. You don't wanna know what their quilts cost.

David

Please pad the bottom/inside of that one - so the Coti side doesn't get mucked up. That's a very very special Les Lat combo.
Will do. You think balsa wood would suffice or actual padding like I've been using?

Top Bottom