What's new

Brut AS

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Region: North America, Canada

I bought some Brut "Classic" Aftershave at a local drug store a couple of months ago, I was drawn to it because I remember my dad wearing it when I was young, and shaving with an injector. I was pretty stoked to splash some on. I can recall the scent from my childhood, and this ain't it. To me it's reminiscent of toothpaste, not sure if I'm alone in perceiving the scent this way?

For North American variants, is the "Original" different, better? I'd have to order it blind.

This is what I'll be freshening my garbage bin with:

1000002027.png

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Doesn’t look like what I’m used to but I’m not surprised considering the last time I bought Brut it was Probalby 15 years ago. Can’t say I really enjoyed it but it should smell a tad better than your garbage.

mcee_sharp

Doesn’t look like what I’m used to but I’m not surprised considering the last time I bought Brut it was Probalby 15 years ago. Can’t say I really enjoyed it but it should smell a tad better than your garbage.
It's better than garbage, BUT, I can't stop smelling the toothpaste :/

I can help, I think. There are two versions - the U.S. one, in your picture, is pretty different from the European one sold in the glass flask-shape bottles with the older version of the Brut logo. That one smells similar to Clubman or Canoe and is quite nice, but I'm familiar with the cologne version, not AS.

Having never tried the vintage U.S. version, I'm not sure if the Euro version will be what your dad used, but I'll bet it well may be. Since it's really inexpensive, I'd just get some of the European one. I like both the North American and Euro versions, personally.

In addition to the US and European Brut, there's also Australian Brut which is owned and made by a different company. I've tried and enjoy the European Brut and the two Australian Bruts (after shave lotion and splash), and they smell slighlty different. I find the Australian after shave lotion to be stronger than the European. Kinda curious to try the US Brut, but probably not worth the money or effort.

I used Brut as a teenager (1970's). Loved it. When looking for splashes about 7 years ago bought some of the plastic bottle stuff. Didn't smell much at all like I remembered. Then found a small glass bottle at an estate sale - that was it! Almost out now. Looking for the glass!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used Brut as a teenager (1970's). Loved it. When looking for splashes about 7 years ago bought some of the plastic bottle stuff. Didn't smell much at all like I remembered. Then found a small glass bottle at an estate sale - that was it! Almost out now. Looking for the glass!
If you are lucky you can find the glass bottle with medallion in the original plastic box:

20231113_193706~2.jpg

If you are really lucky then you can find the shaving soap, this refill puck is the only one I have ever found:

20201126_140840~2.jpg

mcee_sharp

If you are lucky you can find the glass bottle with medallion in the original plastic box:

View attachment 1747966

If you are really lucky then you can find the shaving soap, this refill puck is the only one I have ever found:

View attachment 1747967
I recall my Dad's bottle being glass and having that medallion, this was late 80's/very early 90's most likely.

I asked him last year if he still had any of his injector razors or old shaving gear, sadly it's been gone for a long time.

View attachment 1747966

View attachment 1747967

There's also the current plastic box Eau de Toilette from Europe, not sure how it compares.
1700588083168.png

And there used to be a shaving cream sold in Brazil but I think its been discontinued relatively recently
1700588379338.png

I'll keep an eye out for all things Brut when I'm in Chile next month.

I think it's the same company producing Brut aftershave in Mexico for all the Americas, but maybe the Chilean will have a different/stronger fragrance.

I've never used these products/been to Chile (except for Mejorada blades), but some things you may also want to keep an eye out for:

Williams shaving creams, Aqua Velva aftershave and cologne
1700590320161.png

1700590220541.png

1700590703313.png

Skin Bracer shaving cream and aftershave (there's a blue line too)
1700590573852.png

Gillette Super Thin Mejorada (production recently moved to China, previously Brazil)
1700591180125.png

Schick Super Chromium
1700590786941.png

Bon voyage, let us know what you come back with

Top Bottom