What's new

Brush Chronicles #11: Vie-Long; El Caballo Español (The Spanish horse)

I too noticed this phenomenon of losing backbone. However, the key seems to be not wetting the entire brush. Keep it soaking only about a third of the loft. Water will move up through capillary action, but it will not make the brush as floppy as when completely wet.

As per mftom59's excellent advice, I started bowl lathering. Did it for about 3-4 shaves and apart from floppiness, the lathering itself was good.

However, I went back to face lathering today, and it was the same story again. There was tons of lather when I first lathered up, and I was happy. Even the second application was good, but there was very little time between them as the first lathering was just part of the prep. By the time, however, I wanted to lather for the second pass, the lather had practically disappeared.

I need to keep the brush upside down between uses and see whether this makes any difference.

Mine is brown, and I think sH0sH0 also has the brown one, but he can confirm.

Of course, for someone used to boar brushes, they will feel floppy.

A bump for a thread I've kept book marked for more than a year.

I got the Vie Long 13071B from bullgooseshaving.com in late January this year. Right out of the box this brush had some of the softest tips I've felt in a shaving brush. It has a gorgeous Olive wood handle with a decent heft to it. In my eyes it is the most beautiful brush I own.

I took malocchio's and mftoms59's advice and did a few test lathers. Did this for a few days before putting it to the test in mid February. I've had some incredible shaves with it so far.

The brush loads a hard soap like Pre de Provence with ease. I soaked the brush till about half an inch from the handle for 10 minutes. Gently shook it out about 4 times and then proceeded to load the soap.

$VLSoaking.jpg$VLShakenout.jpg

I was careful to use only the very tips of the brush and this seems enough for this brush to pick up a good quantity of soap.
$VLLoaded.jpg

Proceeded to build the lather on my palm ( I usually face lather but am not very photogenic therefore the palm lathering for this report:laugh:) using gentle circular and paint brush strokes.

$VLPalmlathered.jpg

The brush has a 25mm knot but does not hog the lather and releases it quite readily. It easily holds enough for 3+ passes.
Washed and kept to dry. Look at how beautiful it is:blush:.
$VLWashed.jpg
I am not familiar with silvertip badgers but this brush feels like silk on the face. It is not at all floppy and has great back bone. Pure luxury at an affordable (for me) price.

I'd like to thank malocchio who patiently answered many questions I've had regarding horse hair brushes and to mftoms59 for starting and running this excellent brush chronicle. What I didn't ask Ron, I found right here in this thread.

The Vie Long 13071B is my first horse hair brush. It will not be my last.

I am not familiar with silvertip badgers but this brush feels like silk on the face. It is not at all floppy and has great back bone. Pure luxury at an affordable (for me) price.

I'd like to thank malocchio who patiently answered many questions I've had regarding horse hair brushes and to mftoms59 for starting and running this excellent brush chronicle. What I didn't ask Ron, I found right here in this thread.

I have the same knot in a different handle. I had mine set at 50 mm and it holds a firm place in my rotation.

I have a comparison about a few brushes here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359040-Stick-brushes-shootout

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same knot in a different handle. I had mine set at 50 mm and it holds a firm place in my rotation.

I have a comparison about a few brushes here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359040-Stick-brushes-shootout
Bosse, sir I remember reading this particular brush shoot out (I've read the other ones you've done :001_smile) with great interest. I distinctly remember thinking, 'with one of the finest badger brush collections on B&B Bosse gives the humble horse such high marks?'. Am glad to hear I've made a great choice.:laugh:

Bosse, sir I remember reading this particular brush shoot out (I've read the other ones you've done :001_smile) with great interest. I distinctly remember thinking, 'with one of the finest badger brush collections on B&B Bosse gives the humble horse such high marks?'. Am glad to hear I've made a great choice.:laugh:
You have indeed!

Yes,I have the same brush in 50-50,and it is a real beauty....You can get a little more backbone feel by just soaking the tips,and leaving about 70% of the knot out of the soaking water.I'll take a high quality horse from Vie-Long any day,their quality is fantastically consistant.Nice photos Ashwin !

Unfortunately, my 12705 turned out to be a dud. It developed a tangle in the center some time back. I could get rid of it (along with a few hair of course), but since then it is shedding like nobody's business.

I have now relegated it to the dark corners of my cabinet.

A bump for a thread I've kept book marked for more than a year.

I got the Vie Long 13071B from bullgooseshaving.com in late January this year. Right out of the box this brush had some of the softest tips I've felt in a shaving brush. It has a gorgeous Olive wood handle with a decent heft to it. In my eyes it is the most beautiful brush I own...

Congratulations, the Bullgoose Olivewood is an excellent choice and enhances the beauty of the Natural White knot.

I normally like my Horses set between 47mm-50mm, for face or bowl lathering, the exception is the Olivewood I purchased 3 months ago. I picked one up from Bg myself, surprisingly I love the 52mm loft, and it has become my favorite V-L Horse Hair.

Unfortunately, my 12705 turned out to be a dud. It developed a tangle in the center some time back. I could get rid of it (along with a few hair of course), but since then it is shedding like nobody's business.

I have now relegated it to the dark corners of my cabinet.

You might have a defective knot, or used too much pressure with circular motions. You can gently comb out the tangle when the knot is dry, from the knot base to the tips, using the wide space teeth of a comb. You may lose a few hairs, they're more than likely damaged or loose anyway, but the tangle should be gone.

Give the brush another lather, using less pressure, after a ~5 minute soak in warm, not hot water, and see how you like it.

I owned a 12705 and another blonde 50/50mix brush. To be fair I did not really liked any of them. They were bouth prickly (and I love using boars) the blonde more so. Also the matting/knotting of the hairs is also something I did not like. I knew it was a going to happen if I used too much pressure, so I used a light touch but still it was still there. Those brushes might be ok if you preffer the pain motion. I just found them bouth floppy compared to my boars and even my 2band SOC. I no longer own horse brushes since I gave the two I had to my father and brother. I am however not regretting buying them. I wanted to try a horse and I did. Now I know I am a "Boar Guy" for sure.

You might have a defective knot, or used too much pressure with circular motions. You can gently comb out the tangle when the knot is dry, from the knot base to the tips, using the wide space teeth of a comb. You may lose a few hairs, they're more than likely damaged or loose anyway, but the tangle should be gone.

Give the brush another lather, using less pressure, after a ~5 minute soak in warm, not hot water, and see how you like it.

Ummm...the tangle is gone long back. I combed it out of the dry brush, and yes, few hair came out that time. I said, not a big deal. But since then, I have used the brush about a dozen times, and it loses hair like nothing else - about 10-15 hair each time. It's a real menace. In fact, it did shed hair even before the tangle, though much less - a couple every time.

That's why I feel I got a dud.

I have two Vie Long the 14095B (35% mane/65% tail) 21 knot/53 loft this was a gift from my daughter at my request and while it used to give up a few hairs now and then...I've found that it almost never sheds now that I only soak it for a few minutes after my shower and I use warm water at best....it's pretty soft and is absolutely in my regular rotation...plenty of backbone for soaps, nice with creams and I really like the handle...very comfortable. I've had this one for almost a year and I've never had any type of matting with it.

the other on the right is the Zurito Blanco...this one has almost immediately become one of my top 3 brushes...so soft, perfect handle, looks great and lathers like a beast! this one is 50/50 mane and tail with a 24 knot/ 50 loft and for me, a scuttle lather guy it is as close to the perfect brush as I have...

$vl.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom