What's new

Brush Advice Needed

Welcome to B&B. The S brush that YKMV is sending is a good brush but some find it a little stiff. Looks like you have peaked at Razorock brushes. They are great budget friendly brushes pick one you like and just go for it. You will not be disappointed.

While you're at it you can add a tub or razorock or italian barber soap. Some are as low as $2.99. Also Joe at Italianbarber/Razorock is a vendor and supporter of B&B

Welcome Scott,
If you wouldn't object to a gift aka PIF.
It's too stiff for my taste and style.
Slightly used as you can tell by the loss of varnish on the handle by the bristles.
View attachment 803635 , I will send this brush to you...
Hey that's not right. He was supposed to be drown in tons of different opinions yet again and leave this thread just as confused as when he started ;)

I have a pile of synthetic brushes. The Plissoft type are all just about the same whether they come from RR, Maggards or wherever. They are very good. My favorite brush though is the Omega S brush ( not the pro model). It was $9.

Huh. Should have read the whole thread first. Receiving end of a very generous PIF and it is an S Brush. Nice. :)

By the way, the S brush, while I loved it right out of the box, does get softer and better as it breaks in. Lathers fast and cleans easily. Just a killer brush.

Enjoy the awesome and generous PIF!
Thank you, sir!

I just had my first wet shave a few minutes ago with my Superspeed an Astra blade (my blade sample pack arrived this afternoon) and Cremo (applied directly) and it was great. The best part is that I know that it will get so much better with the brush and some good soap...and lots of practice of course. Totally converted.

Thank you, sir!

I just had my first wet shave a few minutes ago with my Superspeed an Astra blade (my blade sample pack arrived this afternoon) and Cremo (applied directly) and it was great. The best part is that I know that it will get so much better with the brush and some good soap...and lots of practice of course. Totally converted.

That 40s Superspeed is hard to beat. It will definitely get better once you get some proper soap and a brush.

As with most things wet shaving, YMMV, but my NDC 40s Superspeed is one of my favorite razors. The blades that work best for me in that razor are Gillette Platinums and Gillette Silver Blues. And if I was going to recommend a soap to someone new, I would suggest something by Barrister and Mann. Cologne Russe or Saville maybe. Or Haslingers Schafmilch. Taylor of Old Bond Street has some nice creams which perform well and are super easy to lather.

The best part is that now you will actually enjoy shaving. :)

That 40s Superspeed is hard to beat. It will definitely get better once you get some proper soap and a brush.

As with most things wet shaving, YMMV, but my NDC 40s Superspeed is one of my favorite razors. The blades that work best for me in that razor are Gillette Platinums and Gillette Silver Blues. And if I was going to recommend a soap to someone new, I would suggest something by Barrister and Mann. Cologne Russe or Saville maybe. Or Haslingers Schafmilch. Taylor of Old Bond Street has some nice creams which perform well and are super easy to lather.

The best part is that now you will actually enjoy shaving. :)
That's great to hear about the Superspeed. It was very forgiving for me I will say that. Especially once I got over the fear of cutting the heck out of myself after the first few minutes and actually you know shaved. :eek:

Thanks for all of the recommendations on the soap. I will look into those. I am looking for something vegan and it looks like the Taylor of Bond Street Rose fits. Do you have any thoughts on that cream. The reviews seem excellent.

I have heard people say that wet shaving is like meditation in a way and I try to meditate but often lack the time so perhaps shaving is the answer as I need to do that anyway. Kind of combine the two. Who knows?

Last edited:
That's great to hear about the Superspeed. It was very forgiving for me I will say that. Especially once I got over the fear of cutting the heck out of myself after the first few minutes and actually you know shaved. :eek:

Thanks for all of the recommendations on the soap. I will look into those. I am looking for something vegan and it looks like the Taylor of Bond Street Rose fits. Do you have any thoughts on that cream. The reviews seem excellent.

I have heard people say that wet shaving is like meditation in a way and I try to meditate but often lack the time so perhaps shaving is the answer as I need to do that anyway. Kind of combine the two. Who knows?

My personal favorite is the Sandalwood, but I have tried all the TOBS creams and they all perform well. You don't need much, just an almond sized blob out of the tub smeared in a bowl or on a brush will give you enough for 3 passes easy.

Yes the SS is a smooth, forgiving shaver that is also efficient.

Welcome aboard!

I have had many brushes over the years and have a fair number in active use. I prefer natural fibers so cannot help with your choice of a synthetic. There many options as noted by others above. The main thing is to enjoy the journey!

I know...I know... about budgets. But I would recommend spending a tad more and getting something.... errr.... a little softer and nicer. The Muehle black fiber comes to mind. About $40 online.

21H3-620x620.jpg

Welcome to B&B. The S brush that YKMV is sending is a good brush but some find it a little stiff. Looks like you have peaked at Razorock brushes
Yep, that is my objection to it... too stiff for my face.. but since Zombie_Breeder is also a head shaver, it might work well for him.

First of all, welcome to B&B, Scott.
I have too many creams & soaps that will take a LOOONG time to use up. Plus, I keep buying more.
With that being said, I can certainly help you out.
If you are willing to accept my gift (aka PIF) let me know.
If you are, then PM me your name & address and I'll get it in the mail, no later than Tuesday.
Here's what I giving you:
1. A tub of The Body Shop's Macca Root (90% left). I have another tub for myself. Great cream
2. 4 Persona Med Prep blades, 1 tuck of Gillette Platinum Plus (3 blades), 1 tuck of Wilkies (German)
Mikey (aka @meliahog
Here's a pic:
Macca Root.JPG

First of all, welcome to B&B, Scott.
I have too many creams & soaps that will take a LOOONG time to use up. Plus, I keep buying more.
With that being said, I can certainly help you out.
If you are willing to accept my gift (aka PIF) let me know.
If you are, then PM me your name & address and I'll get it in the mail, no later than Tuesday.
Here's what I giving you:
1. A tub of The Body Shop's Macca Root (90% left). I have another tub for myself. Great cream
2. 4 Persona Med Prep blades, 1 tuck of Gillette Platinum Plus (3 blades), 1 tuck of Wilkies (German)
Mikey (aka @meliahog
Here's a pic:
View attachment 803901
Mikey,

Wow. That is very generous of you and it sounds like you have quite the collection. Yes, The PIF would be absolutely awesome. Thank you so much! You're the best. I am PM'ing you my address.

Top Bottom