What's new

Brush Advice Needed

Hello Everyone,

OK, so I am getting ready to start. I have my initial set-up with the exception of a brush.

I have been lurking and taking advice for a while now--even though I am still getting set up. The rest of my set-up came easily. I bought a 1940's Gillette Superspeed (without knowing what I was buying--dumb luck I guess) at an antique store like 13 years ago so I am good there. It cleaned-up well. I bought a sampler pack of blades. I picked up a soup bowl/mug at the thrift store (small handle and about 2" deep and 4" across)...but I am am stuck on the brush. I have spent hours and hours looking around here and I am suffering from too much brush information (TMBI--it is a medically recognized condition...I promise). I have seen links on the forum to brushes on ebay:

Beard Brush Shaving Mustache Brush with Bamboo Handle A3G9 | eBay

Trendy Badger Shaving Brush Silvertip Stainless Metal Handle Barber White Color | eBay

and recommendations for Omega, RazoRock, and so many others. Here are my requirements

1. It must be synthetic--I am vegetarian. :)
2. A maximum of $15 including shipping. Preferably less. I am broke-butt teacher in the Southern United States. LOL.
3. Something that it is good for a beginner but will work well once I know what I am doing. I do not plan on having a huge collection. I lack the space and funding for such things. ;)
4. Something that will work well for shaving my head as well as my face as I plan on working up to that using a DE eventually.

I am not sure if this matters but I have a relatively small face/head and I have small hands. May matter with regard to size of handle, splay, knot size and so forth.

I haven't researched creams much (I have Cremo right now which I realize does not lather well) but I will gladly take suggestions there as well--inexpensive, vegan, and good for sensitive skin would be my requirements there.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am so lost as a result of being overwhelmed by the great suggestions people have made previously. :) I realize it comes down to preference but I could really use some individualized direction here based on my requirements if anyone has a moment.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Last edited:
First, welcome to B&B, Scott.

As for synthetic brushes that meet your requirements, I would look at the Omega S or the Italian Barber Plissoft. Both are good brushes.

I will second the Italian Barber brush. It's on a larger size. I like using when shaving my head. For an excellent smaller brush, consider Whipped Dog ($16).

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Welcome! The Pissoft gets alot of love here. I'd start there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Welcome Scott,
If you wouldn't object to a gift aka PIF.
It's too stiff for my taste and style.
Slightly used as you can tell by the loss of varnish on the handle by the bristles.
brushes to sell 3.JPG
, I will send this brush to you...

Thank you to everyone for the prompt advice and suggestions. I have to say that I have NEVER seen a forum where everyone is so polite and helpful to a newbie before. This is a obviously a great community of enthusiasts with a wealth of knowledge who are welcoming to anyone who shares the interest. Thanks again ya'll and it is great to be here. Seriously.

We will see if we can change that! :001_cool:
Welcome to Badger & Blade!
You probably will. :) I am a collector by nature -- vinyl records, action figures etc. so um, yeah. It is a fear of having something else to collect but then again my family is always asking for ideas around birthdays and holidays so....

The forum is named Badger & Blade but the members greet each other in public with a wink and
recognition sign: enablers...........countersign:anonymous

Looks like you have your immediate needs sorted out, but just to chime in: The Maggard's synthetic brushes are really great. Affordable, too!

Also, Maggard's has a great selection of samples of soaps and aftershaves. Generally a great place for shave stuff, and priced very reasonably.

Looks like you have your immediate needs sorted out, but just to chime in: The Maggard's synthetic brushes are really great. Affordable, too!

Also, Maggard's has a great selection of samples of soaps and aftershaves. Generally a great place for shave stuff, and priced very reasonably.

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for the heads-up on the samples!!!

Top Bottom