What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Dark twist always tastes like a tire fire to me, so don't feel too bad Brian.
I haven't had Dark Twist, but this describes SG Black XX pretty well
Ever since I got some Black XX, I've been trying to pin down why I don't like it. That is probably the most accurate description I've ever read. It does taste a bit better (just a bit) after you dry it overnight on the wood stove.

I'm the bit of the oddball here... like aros, like latakia blends... don't at all like VA or VAPer blends. lol

I'm with you. I am a latakia fiend but occasionally I like an aro. I just can't get into VA, VaPer, and burley blends. I don't find anything to enjoy in them, and I do find them cigarettey.

I've just done another flip. I OD'd on latakia, moved to VA and its blended variants and couldn't get back into the latakia. Now, some time later, am loving the dark side again. SO glad I have a small range of stock on hand in the cellar to satisfy my whims. I've found what really works for me is, before choosing my blend I sit, close my eyes and imagine smoking and enjoying the bowl. What is it I'm after? Is it dark and rich, is it light and sweet? Do I want some complexity right then and there or am I just working on other things and not thinking so much about it? I think that, more than anything recently has helped me enjoy whatever it may be I'm smoking.

I've just done another flip. I OD'd on latakia, moved to VA and its blended variants and couldn't get back into the latakia. Now, some time later, am loving the dark side again. SO glad I have a small range of stock on hand in the cellar to satisfy my whims. I've found what really works for me is, before choosing my blend I sit, close my eyes and imagine smoking and enjoying the bowl. What is it I'm after? Is it dark and rich, is it light and sweet? Do I want some complexity right then and there or am I just working on other things and not thinking so much about it? I think that, more than anything recently has helped me enjoy whatever it may be I'm smoking.

As soon as the temperature dropped, my craving for latakia surged.

Well I am starting back with a pipe after not smoking anything since I left college. I am going to .do like my great uncles and stick with the Drug store classics like Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh. I heard good things about Captain Black also. I smoked the first two and a house cherry blend in College.

Well I am starting back with a pipe after not smoking anything since I left college. I am going to .do like my great uncles and stick with the Drug store classics like Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh. I heard good things about Captain Black also. I smoked the first two and a house cherry blend in College.

I'm a big fan of Carter Hall. Definitely in my top three.

Hello Brown Leafers, John is the name. Ive only been on B&B for a few weeks, i stumbled across this amazing treasure of a website while shopping for some vintage DE razors. I'm here because I was intrigued by a thread that came from here "whats in your nose?" - I quit smoking cigarettes a while back (I still smoke a cherry cavendish or fine virginia blend on special occasions) but I'm primarily interested in Nasal Snuff. My father has always dipped copenhagen, as did I when I was in service - but I had no Idea that nasal snuff was still around. Anyway, I have to try this stuff out! Is there anyone here from the east (I'm from West Virginia) that knows of any local vendors that still actively carry nasal snuff? Thanks! :w00t:

Welcome back to the club. :) I'm a big fan of a few of the drug store classics, the Sir Walter's aromatic, recently started liking some Capt. Black offerings. Carter Hall is a good one if you want a non-aromatic drugstore blend. It seems to really shine in a nice cob pipe.

Hello Brown Leafers, John is the name. Ive only been on B&B for a few weeks, i stumbled across this amazing treasure of a website while shopping for some vintage DE razors. I'm here because I was intrigued by a thread that came from here "whats in your nose?" - I quit smoking cigarettes a while back (I still smoke a cherry cavendish or fine virginia blend on special occasions) but I'm primarily interested in Nasal Snuff. My father has always dipped copenhagen, as did I when I was in service - but I had no Idea that nasal snuff was still around. Anyway, I have to try this stuff out! Is there anyone here from the east (I'm from West Virginia) that knows of any local vendors that still actively carry nasal snuff? Thanks! :w00t:

Welcome to the BL. I'm not in that area for local vendor info, but there are plenty of online vendors for snuff that have great selection.

Welcome back to the club. :) I'm a big fan of a few of the drug store classics, the Sir Walter's aromatic, recently started liking some Capt. Black offerings. Carter Hall is a good one if you want a non-aromatic drugstore blend. It seems to really shine in a nice cob pipe.

They are mainstays for a reason! :thumbup1:

After Trolling YouTube I was starting to wonder! Thanks for the vote of support for the Classics.

Granted, they do not get much (or any) respect from much of the pipe smoking community at large. I think of it as a bit of elitist snobbering, personally. Find what you like, and continue to like it. We see some of the same thing with shaving items and some of the drugstore stuff.

Thanks My 2 Great Uncles who smoked pipes used Prince Albert and Sir Walter R. from my earliest memories till they passed away in their 80's

My great uncle was a Captain Black guy, and my dad liked Middleton's Apple blend. :)

Don't know about you but I would pert near give up my Right hand to sit on the tail gate of that 64 Chevy Truck and smoke the day away watching the crops under the shade of the trees. I miss GP and Jack a ton during the Holidays.

Don't know about you but I would pert near give up my Right hand to sit on the tail gate of that 64 Chevy Truck and smoke the day away watching the crops under the shade of the trees. I miss GP and Jack a ton during the Holidays.

That was much of my younger years, except it was a Dodge dump truck, and I was in the back of it so my dad didn't catch me smoking. lol

Top Bottom