What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Welcome to the Brown Leaf, JB! Have you joined the monthly discussion about favorite cigar makers? Look forward to seeing you around!

Hey Brown Leafers! I have been so busy trying not to destroy my precious face I failed to see this great group. Forgive me! I am a casual cigar smoker and have been for a long time. My fist cigar was a El Presidente Fidel Castro given to me by my father and since then it has been an up and down journey. My favorites are Fuente, Oliva, My Father, CAO, Romeo y Julieta, and a few more. I enjoy trying new cigars, and fine single malts.

I just started enjoying a pipe about 6 months ago and absolutely love Steve Brook's Grandfather's Own blend.

Well, I didn't check in before I started posting here. Sorry!

Nesta here, I'm also on a few pipe-centered forums, but only one of them anywhere close to regularly.

I'm a full time pipe smoker, part time cigar smoker, and occasional snuff and snus taker. My favorite tobaccos tend to be stronger, and easily my favorite pipe blend is Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Kendal Dark. That stuff will make the hairs on your chest grow hairs on their chests, and it's perfect for an all day blend for me...strong, deep flavor, old fashioned, wholly lacking pretension, one note but boy does that note please me, the superfine cut makes for a perfect, easy burning blend, it's got the body AND the nicotine I want and never gets boring for me. I don't remember off the top of my head how many pipes I have, but I know it's in the thirties and is exactly one pipe short of what I need for a decent rotation (because it always is). Unlike most, I prefer latakia in oppressive heat (or at least warm weather) and don't like it when it's too cold out. I don't smoke many aromatics, but I do like them. All year long I go for burleys and Virginias, and have a big thing for fire cured tobaccos.

My favorite cigars are strong, too. I like the fancy pants hand rolled Latin American smokes with their bands as much as the next guy, but my workhorse is Parodi. Probably because it reminds me of Peterson's Irish Flake, but a little sweet and less refined. Other than that, I recently had my first Bolivar Gold Medal - probably the finest I've ever smoked, I like it better than Cohibas. I love La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero in a maduro wrapper, and when it's hot as hades nothing is better than a candela cigar for a refreshing change of pace - iced oolong on the side. I like the LFD Double Claro because of it's mild, grassy candela flavor but it's sneaky nicotine content. Still, I smoke a lot of machine mades and enjoy them very much.

I like some smokeless, too. I like snuff a lot, but don't take it too often because I can't find the floral stuff in the US anymore and don't want to buy from Mr. Snuff and pay oversea shipping for something I can live without or make myself. Also, too much snuff ruins my nose and can also give me headaches. Still, since I started wet shaving within the past week, I find when I have a nice shave with some C.O. Bigelow cream, then splash on a little cooling and/or medicinal aftershave, a nice pinch or three of Dr. Rumney's medicated snuff REALLY takes the refreshment to another level! I love Swedish snus and hate the sickley sweet American stuff, but despite people claiming that it's health-neutral I have my concerns. I take enough tobacco as it is, and don't feel it's necessary to smoke regularly AND take snus, so since I can't get the Swedish stuff in town anyway I save it as a special treat and pick up a few cans of General whenever I visit my parents.

I like some chewing tobacco, too, especially Cumberland Twist Sweet, but also Days o Work plug an Levi Garrett...but while I do like it, I also think it's gross and very bad for you when used regularly, so I avoid it almost always. Exceptions are in the winter if I have a cold and no snus on hand.

I hate dip and hate cigarettes. I got interested in the old school shaving via some folks at the pipe forum I'm on a lot, and I may likely spend more time in the Brown Leaf than the rest of B&B, but time will tell :001_cool:

Just discovered B&B and now this little corner of the forum. I have been enjoying cigars for about ten years now. I have many brands in my humidors but no matter my mood or beverage I can always smoke a Padron 2000 Maddy. My "treat myself" favorite would be a toss up between the Garcia My Father and an AF Anjeo.

Just discovered B&B and now this little corner of the forum. I have been enjoying cigars for about ten years now. I have many brands in my humidors but no matter my mood or beverage I can always smoke a Padron 2000 Maddy. My "treat myself" favorite would be a toss up between the Garcia My Father and an AF Anjeo.

Welcome to B&B and the Brown Leaf! Look forward to seeing you around!

I've been smoking cigarettes longer than I care to admit, but I'm brand new to smoking tobacco in pipes. About 3 years ago I bought a Peterson System pipe, a pouch to keep it in and a tool to clean it with (and obviously some other stuff as well), but after trying it a handful of times it just didn't do it for me, and the whole rig got put away and forgotten about in a drawer.

Fast-forward a few years. After a fair amount of lurking, I joined the B&B and TSD forums when I got into DE shaving. We all know how that goes, and suffice it to say that I've now got a fairly decent array of wet shaving hard- and software. Aside from the wealth of knowledge available about shaving, I discovered this sub-forum, read about what people are doing, and decided to buy some fresh tobacco (a house blend from a local cigar shop) and give the whole thing another shot.

I only smoked 4 cigarettes yesterday. It's been at least 20 years since I could say that. I smoked the pipe a lot during that time, wasting tobacco like a fiend until I started figuring out packing and lighting, and puffing away until the nicotine itch got scratched, but WOW. I enjoyed the pipe much more than I've ever enjoyed cigs, which is huge, because I really like smoking. So I think there might be a future in this. Inspired accordingly, I dashed off to a shop across town that I knew sells decent stuff, and bought an ounce of a good-smelling "Hawaiian" aromatic, as a contrast to the more standard blend I bought the other day. During my brief reintroduction to my System pipe, I decided that I wanted to try a straight stem, so since I was already in the shop buying new tobacco, I figured it made sense to pick up a new pipe to go along with it:

$null-27.jpg

I've smoked two short, 1/4 bowl loads of the Hawaiian thru it so far, bearing in mind that I'm new to it and not wanting to do anything wrong before the new pipe is broken in, but already I'm really liking the new pipe. The straight stem configuration feels much more natural to me than my other one, and not that I'd know from experience, necessarily, but it sure seems to smoke nicely.

We'll see how the new smoking hobby goes. . .

Top Bottom