What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

There was a discussion in another thread about the new Razolution "Twin-Blade" DE razor, and I posted a question regarding another razor the company produces. It's another R89 "clone" (single DE blade), but the catch is, the company includes an additional open comb base plate with purchase of the razor. This open comb base plate looks to be similar in design (if not identical) to an R89 base plate design. This is the first time I have seen this, and was wondering if any of you have seen or used an open comb design like this, and if so, what are your thoughts on its performance. Here is a link to the razor in question - http://www.linder.de/en/artikel/Straight_Razors/886107/Razolution_Classic_Razor_-_Carbon_Fiber_Look

Hi,

Once in a while I mention my Grandfather's Old Type. I have not included a pic of it since I was in Dallas working, and this razor was home in NC on the farm. Well, the Dallas job is done (and done early, as I wasn't planning for it to end until March), so I am back home now and can correct the omission.

The sun was reflecting off the mirror this morning, and making an interesting patch of razor-sized light. So, I put Grandpa's razor in the spot and grabbed the cell phone cam. I know. Not so hot, especially since I have this wonderful Kodachrome DSLR (which is a rare beast) that shoots like nothing else. But, the thing about cell phone cameras is one always has it with one, and a cell phone pic is better than no pic at all...

Anyway, here it is. Nothing special razor-wise. Just special (to me) because of who owned it. :001_tt1:

$Old_Type.jpg

Now, all I am missing, photo wise, is the other Grandfather's straight razor (buried in a drawer around here somewhere) and my Dad's Tech (which is at my Mom's still, right where he left it).

Edit: Oh, and I never bother to clean the Old Type up. I rather like the patina. It came by it naturally. :001_rolle

Stan

I came home tonight and found this waiting for me...

Not the greatest condition, but it is certainly usable.

proxy.php

proxy.php

But it is my first NEW, so I am pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Hi,

Once in a while I mention my Grandfather's Old Type. I have not included a pic of it since I was in Dallas working, and this razor was home in NC on the farm. Well, the Dallas job is done (and done early, as I wasn't planning for it to end until March), so I am back home now and can correct the omission.

The sun was reflecting off the mirror this morning, and making an interesting patch of razor-sized light. So, I put Grandpa's razor in the spot and grabbed the cell phone cam. I know. Not so hot, especially since I have this wonderful Kodachrome DSLR (which is a rare beast) that shoots like nothing else. But, the thing about cell phone cameras is one always has it with one, and a cell phone pic is better than no pic at all...

Anyway, here it is. Nothing special razor-wise. Just special (to me) because of who owned it. :001_tt1:

View attachment 369256

Now, all I am missing, photo wise, is the other Grandfather's straight razor (buried in a drawer around here somewhere) and my Dad's Tech (which is at my Mom's still, right where he left it).

Edit: Oh, and I never bother to clean the Old Type up. I rather like the patina. It came by it naturally. :001_rolle

Stan
Stan, thank you for sharing such a wonderful story, we all appreciate it here at BOTOC. I too agree to leave the patina since it has all of your heritage DNA.

There was a discussion in another thread about the new Razolution "Twin-Blade" DE razor, and I posted a question regarding another razor the company produces. It's another R89 "clone" (single DE blade), but the catch is, the company includes an additional open comb base plate with purchase of the razor. This open comb base plate looks to be similar in design (if not identical) to an R89 base plate design. This is the first time I have seen this, and was wondering if any of you have seen or used an open comb design like this, and if so, what are your thoughts on its performance. Here is a link to the razor in question - http://www.linder.de/en/artikel/Straight_Razors/886107/Razolution_Classic_Razor_-_Carbon_Fiber_Look
I dont get any DE, just other non related links.$lip.jpg

Hi,

Item comes with 10 razor blades in a nice gift box. Razor blades not included. :confused1

Not that I want a dual blade razor with or without blades.....

Stan

Or get a FaTip, made entirely of brass & also very cheap.

Well, I am spoiled by my vintage Gillette OCs so the Cadets/RRs (which I got at a great price) only are fitted to larger modern handles. No need for a FaTip as I seem to have enough brass in the house to start up a symphony orchestra. :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom