What's new

Brotherhood of Razorock Gamechanger (BORG)

May 3, 2024 Friday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Soap: Razorock New York
Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm G5A (2)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Barbero alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

This was a three pass shave. The Overlander / Personna Lab Blue combination has been top notch, super close and very comfy.
The AP Shave Co. brush is a very good brush.
No drama, no irritation. It's a great way to start the weekend!

Enjoy your day!

View attachment 1840091
Ooops!!! I'm sorry for posting here instead of in the Goatlander thread!!

Date03.05.2024
366 daily shaves
124/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84SBGillette Rubie Plus (8)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (6)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A truly superb shave with the Game Changer today and no signs of a Rubie going on 8. This is an amazing razor with similarly amazing results. Happy happy joy joy!!

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Weekend shave updates: took Friday as a no shave day and noticed my stubble grew back less overall and more evenly than when I was using Henson. Saturday I took some extra time for a 3 pass and it was glorious, also went back through my blade samplers and decided to give vokshod a try, really loving these blades so far, shave with it 3 times and still feels nice and sharp. Did another BBs 2 pass shave yesterday and a quick one pass with touchups before work this morning. Loving the game changer still! I had some light irritation on one side of my neck that had just sort always stayed bumpy, now after a week with GC it's actually healing! I think I can comfortably get back to every other day shaving with this, but I like using it so much I've been shaving everyday :p. Mind made up, sending back the Henson asap.

Gentlemen, if I were looking for a slightly more aggressive razor than the GC .84P, which would you recommend? The .84OC or the BBS AS? I do want the same kind of feel as the three GCs I own already (.68P, .76P, .84P) but I would like more flexibility on the cutting angles. The Game Changers feel fairly constrained to me in that respect. The BBS sounds intriguing, but if I read the prospectus correctly, it actually has even more of a narrow cutting range.

slightly more aggressive razor than the GC .84P, which would you recommend? The .84OC or the BBS AS?
Alex, I don’t have a BBS so cannot advice you on that, but the .84P is definitely a step up in effectiveness for me compared to the already good SB baseplate. So that might be a first step to try - or go for the 1.05 if you need more efficiency. As you mentioned slightly more aggressive I would opt for the OC baseplate. I alternate between the SB and OC and so far the OC always comes out as the winner of the two.

Guido

Alex, I don’t have a BBS so cannot advice you on that, but the .84P is definitely a step up in effectiveness for me compared to the already good SB baseplate. So that might be a first step to try - or go for the 1.05 if you need more efficiency. As you mentioned slightly more aggressive I would opt for the OC baseplate. I alternate between the SB and OC and so far the OC always comes out as the winner of the two.

Guido
I see. Personally I don't feel a huge difference between any of three I have. Granted I don't have a lot of time logged on the Game Changers yet. My experience is confined to trials set 2 days apart using the same blade in each of the heads.

I may spring for the .84 OC soon.

Gentlemen, if I were looking for a slightly more aggressive razor than the GC .84P, which would you recommend? The .84OC or the BBS AS? I do want the same kind of feel as the three GCs I own already (.68P, .76P, .84P) but I would like more flexibility on the cutting angles. The Game Changers feel fairly constrained to me in that respect. The BBS sounds intriguing, but if I read the prospectus correctly, it actually has even more of a narrow cutting range.
The Lupo line might be worth trying as well, you’d only need the base plate and top cap for it. Most base plates are currently sold out, but I was able to get the .72OC recently. It shaves similarly to the GC .84SB but felt a tad smoother and more aggressive in my opinion.

Gentlemen, if I were looking for a slightly more aggressive razor than the GC .84P, which would you recommend? The .84OC or the BBS AS? I do want the same kind of feel as the three GCs I own already (.68P, .76P, .84P) but I would like more flexibility on the cutting angles. The Game Changers feel fairly constrained to me in that respect.
Don't know if it gives more flexibility on angles, but might be worth trying a shim under the blade in the .84. Will take the gap to around .94, about halfway to the 1.05 plate, which is a decent but not large increase in gap, and only costs you a little effort in making the shim from an old blade.

Little update for those following my saga, wrote to Henson about my return request, explained it was more of a monetary issue than performance, they offered to refund me and let me keep the razor! I know this isn't a Henson related thread but I thought that was pretty cool of them considering. Now I have 2 razors for the price of one :p or a cool gift to pass on to a friend or family member.

Now onto the next item: brushes!
Anyone have experience with the razorock plissoft synthetic brushes? The reviews on their site are extremely positive, I've been considering a brush upgrade from my Omega s-brush and the price is right on these. S brush is pretty decent I just find the super light hollow plastic handle to be flimsy feeling and was interested in trying a bigger knot. Anyone with experience let me know your thoughts, considering the barber handle or maybe one of the noir plissofts with the 400 handle, if anyone has multiple curious about the differences between the different plissofts.

Anyone have experience with the razorock plissoft synthetic brushes?
I understand where @loco95 is coming from as this is YMMV territory just like any aspect of this wonderful hobby. And there are some very nice boar brushes out there! That said the Razorock Plissoft brushes are wonderful to me. The RR400 is king of my castle (well if I don’t count the brushes my dad made me). Lather King and super cool design. The Big Bruce is firmer than the RR400 I think and still a very nice soft brush. The Beehive is just huge. One splay and my cheek is done! Haha! Very nice grip and hold to it by the way. Handle of the Big Brush is very comfortable as well.

They will serve you with excellent lather, easy to rinse and have a quick dry time, and are relatively soaking kind to the wallet as well. I think they are a great deal.

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks for your input @loco95 and @Guido75 very helpful. My Omega s-brush is a synth but it's a little bit smaller knot (22 I think) and seems to be sort of medium softness. I tried boar a long time ago when I was gifted a shaving kit with a mach 3 as a teenager, but I remember not being too fond of the roughness on my face then. S brush feels softer than what I remember the boar feeling like, but again that was close to 20 years ago :p. Been looking into the plissoft from rr because I was wanting to try an even softer synthetic, but I may have to give boar another shot now that my face is not all teenagery and stuff :p.

My Omega s-brush is a synth but it's a little bit smaller knot (22 I think) and seems to be sort of medium softness.
If the S-Brush is anything like my Omega Roma it is definitely a soft brush. Nice brush though. Great for travelling too I learned earlier this year.

Boar brushes will need break in time so expect the first 20 shaves or so to be less stellar than you would like. Not saying you shouldn’t do it - just boar ;) in mind that there is a learning curve within the brush.

Guido

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Really nice shave this morning with the GC 68P.

IMG_0301.jpeg

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Really fantastic shave this morning.

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: Stirling unscented with beeswax, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Game Changer 68P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: no
Aftershave: Skin Bracer and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: None, but maybe some extra menthol tingle
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

This morning's shave was the bee's (wax) knees. It was my second time with the Stirling unscented with beeswax soap and I think I made the lather just perfect. More water led to a rich and luxurious cream. I can always tell when I get the lather just right because the shave is a little closer, and that's consistent across all of my razors.

IMG_0303.JPEG

@JL 52 Any updates?
Yep!! My recommendation is to first try a lighter handle with your .84-P before buying the .76-P. RazoRock's Ti HALO handle was the perfect adjustment in my case; I ended up with the exact same shave closeness but it seemed to scale the aggression back just enough to limit the post-shave irritation I felt. I didn't struggle with nicks or weepers using the .84-P to begin with but I could kinda just tell that my skin wouldn't appreciate seeing it on back-to-back days. The titanium handle was the ideal solution in my case.

The .76-P was as expected, a step down in efficiency and aggression compared to the .84-P. I didn't feel the need to even try swapping out the SS handle for a lighter one. It gave me a less close shave than I got from the .84-P, but it was quite smooth and I didn't really need to worry about nicks or irritation at any point during the shave. I wouldn't consider it "mild" but I could definitely use it on back-to-back days without issue. It's a viable options for the days I care less about closeness and just want a smooth low-risk shave.

Testing out the GC .68OC next and expecting the outcome to be somewhat in line with my experience with the .76-P. I'll circle back on this one soon as well.

Also thought I'd mention that I think I prefer the Lupo .72OC over the GC .84-P, but not by much. It feel just a tad more efficient and a tad smoother. But the difference is very slight; if you have and love your .84-P then I wouldn't recommend also springing for the Lupo.

Yep!! My recommendation is to first try a lighter handle with your .84-P before buying the .76-P. RazoRock's Ti HALO handle was the perfect adjustment in my case; I ended up with the exact same shave closeness but it seemed to scale the aggression back just enough to limit the post-shave irritation I felt. I didn't struggle with nicks or weepers using the .84-P to begin with but I could kinda just tell that my skin wouldn't appreciate seeing it on back-to-back days. The titanium handle was the ideal solution in my case.

The .76-P was as expected, a step down in efficiency and aggression compared to the .84-P. I didn't feel the need to even try swapping out the SS handle for a lighter one. It gave me a less close shave than I got from the .84-P, but it was quite smooth and I didn't really need to worry about nicks or irritation at any point during the shave. I wouldn't consider it "mild" but I could definitely use it on back-to-back days without issue. It's a viable options for the days I care less about closeness and just want a smooth low-risk shave.

Testing out the GC .68OC next and expecting the outcome to be somewhat in line with my experience with the .76-P. I'll circle back on this one soon as well.

Also thought I'd mention that I think I prefer the Lupo .72OC over the GC .84-P, but not by much. It feel just a tad more efficient and a tad smoother. But the difference is very slight; if you have and love your .84-P then I wouldn't recommend also springing for the Lupo.
Quick update: The GC .68OC was okay but I prefer the .76SB over it. Ended up with about the same shave closeness I got from the .76SB (which was decent, just not quite as close as the .84SB or Lupo .72OC), but with what get like more blade feel and exposure from the open comb. I nicked myself twice that I don’t think would’ve happened with the .76SB. The extra blade didn’t feel worth the risk knowing I got the about the same efficiency from the .76SB. The open comb rinsing cleaner during the shave was a plus however.

Quick update: The GC .68OC was okay but I prefer the .76SB over it. Ended up with about the same shave closeness I got from the .76SB (which was decent, just not quite as close as the .84SB or Lupo .72OC), but with what get like more blade feel and exposure from the open comb. I nicked myself twice that I don’t think would’ve happened with the .76SB. The extra blade didn’t feel worth the risk knowing I got the about the same efficiency from the .76SB. The open comb rinsing cleaner during the shave was a plus however.
Confirming this last post after another shave with the .76SB last night. I was able to use it comfortably with solid results on my third back-to-back day head shave without any issue. I think I’d still recommend trying the .84SB with a lighter handle before buying the a new base plate, but the .76SB is a solid option for anyone that liked the .84SB but found it just a bit too aggressive for daily use.

I don’t think I have much of a use case for the .68OC however. I’ll definitely be turning to the .76SB or another mild option I have for my back-to-back shave days instead.

Top Bottom