What's new

Bread making

There is nothing that smells better than freshly baking bread. It also tastes as good as it smells. I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, but here goes.

1678164685526.png

This is a loaf I just made with chia seeds, green pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. It is a meal in a slice.

Anyone else make bread, here?

My wife has stopped having breads in an effort to reduce carbs, but she used to make great bread. She also understands that I will never turn down freshly made homemade bread. Yours looks great and a slice with butter must be amazing.
It was very good! I will make another loaf, tomorrow evening. I'm not sure what kind, though.

The funny thing is that my wife doesn't bake at all. However, she bought me a bread maker a few years ago and said, "Have at it." Hahaha! Well, I did. Fresh baked is a lot better than store bought.

I read, somewhere, that if bread is toasted a bit, or frozen, it changes the carbs or something so they are not too bad.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

There's a few of us. :)

Bread is what I do now that I'm usele...I mean...retired. I've been diving into bread making, which really is something I've made for years. Yesterday I finished a couple of ciabatta loaves and I've been making a lot of pizza and focaccia lately. I also make tortillas, lefse and other flatbreads.

O.H.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
My wife has stopped having breads in an effort to reduce carbs, but she used to make great bread. She also understands that I will never turn down freshly made homemade bread. Yours looks great and a slice with butter must be amazing.
The lovely GF and I were experimenting with cloud bread for a while, but we just couldn't get it right. The texture was always a let down.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That looks like a huge loaf, @Doc Dan . Looks good!

I've been meaning to make bread, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. My uncle makes delicious breads and a variety of different types. This past Christmas, I started asking him about about bread making, and he gave me a book that he finds to be a great resource: Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish.

@maniv85 has made some mighty tasty bread as well, but it's been a number of years since I've had it. 🙂

I had my first attempt at making sourdough bread a few weeks ago. It tasted ok but too dense. I think I didn’t let it proof long enough. Will give it another go. I enjoy learning new things.

We don't have an oven, so it is a Breville bread maker for me. It makes great loves of bread, as you can see above. That was was 1kg or so. When it cools off tonight I will make a loaf. I'm not sure what kind. I love honey-wheat, but I might make raisin-cinnamon.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
So, I made honey-walnut bread with sunflower seeds. It isn't quite done, yet. The smell is killing me.
If you are a fan of those sorts of heavy, nutty, seedy breads, this gets made here once or twice a week: two cups of whole wheat flour and one cup of AP. Proof a double batch of yeast in twelve ounces of hot water with a smidge of sugar. Pour a drizzle of molasses, a tsp. of salt, a cup of walnut or pecan pieces, a couple of tbsp. of pumpkin seeds, and a couple of tbsp. of flax seeds over the flour. Mix it up. Add the yeast and water, mix and knead. Rise. Knead, form loaf, and bake. The amount I make depends mainly on what we eat for breakfast. I love it toasted and spread with avocado, harissa, a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkle of Maldon salt. I also love it buttered with a soft boiled egg and some marmalade for the second slice. These usually compete with breakfast tacos for breakfast.

The open crumb is improved by more hydration and a very hot oven.

Yes! I live a mile high and add more water in a very hot oven for my sourdough. Twenty minutes in a Dutch oven at 485* covered, preheated, and twenty five minutes at 450* uncovered. The open crumb forms better at these temps. Also, you fold a sourdough rather than traditionally knead it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yes! I live a mile high and add more water in a very hot oven for my sourdough. Twenty minutes in a Dutch oven at 485* covered, preheated, and twenty five minutes at 450* uncovered. The open crumb forms better at these temps. Also, you fold a sourdough rather than traditionally knead it.
The method I have seen used at Tartine begins with the dough roughly in a square. A corner is folded in and pressed laterally with the heel of the hand, frissage. Spin a quarter turn and do the next corner and so on. It also makes for great sourdough English muffins.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
There is nothing that smells better than freshly baking bread. It also tastes as good as it smells. I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, but here goes.

View attachment 1617089

This is a loaf I just made with chia seeds, green pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. It is a meal in a slice.

I made bread for forty years but rarely eat bread now and have quit making it. I was quite good at it and I really do miss baking bread. If you really want to get into bread making, I highly recommend the book Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast by Ken Forkish. That is where I met my pinnacle.

The method I have seen used at Tartine begins with the dough roughly in a square. A corner is folded in and pressed laterally with the heel of the hand, frissage. Spin a quarter turn and do the next corner and so on. It also makes for great sourdough English muffins.
Yes again! With the added water the dough can be stretched then each side folded to center, rotate ninety degrees, repeat, then repeat and repeat. You do this four times with twenty minute rising in between. This is after the dough is made and it’s done in a shredding manner, pulling apart into strips and long pieces, then resting for an hour, covered. This is called autolyse.

There’s a heck of a lot to making sourdough, as the starter needs to be fed a few times in between resting and rising in the oven with only the oven light on to keep it warm. The whole process literally takes hours of attention, measuring and preparing. The end result is worth it though.

Top Bottom