What's new

Bowls and mugs. What's yours made from?

I did notice between ceramic and metal is that some metals don’t really get wet. i.e. there isn’t a thin layer of water covering the surface of the bowl, just a few drops here and there.

Now there's a thought. I have noticed that water in the aluminum bowl beads up, just like it would on my car if I bothered to wax it once in a while.

Wondering whether different shape, size, material, texture etc. of shaving bowls and mugs make a difference to the speed and quality of producing lather.

For me, I'm finding texture makes a great difference. I think it has something to do with the oft-ignored third ingredient -- air. Some ribbed ceramic bowls have given me a much better lather than other smoother ones, and I've got absolutely terrible lather from metal and smooth plastic.

I just have a $2.99 Target coffee mug. It's a big one (3" tall x 4.5" wide) and it does a great job making lather and keeping it warm (I have two sinks, so I let the mug sit in hot water in one and shave/rinse of the razor in the other). IMHO it has the best effectiveness:price ratio.

Top Bottom