What's new

BOOTS tub 'o soap

Boots is a very old British name in shaving goods.The soap in the tub is different than the soap in the stick cylinder,that one is handcrafted for BOOTS by a private soapmaker. The cap on the tub looks to be made from a high quality polycarbonate,it doesn't have much flex,and fits like a tight glove ,thanks to both tub and cap having short ,effective locking threads.!...The tub itself is not a cheapo ,it's sturdy plastic ,and very reuseable . The scent is unique,a kind of dry powdery scent with a hint of black pepper and dry citrus ,like grapefruit pith , I like it,nice and clean...Fantastic lather that really lasts,one lathering made enough suds to shave both my head and face !...The lube is excellent , I was using a fat handled Tech and a virgin TREET Silver carbon blade ,the shave was par excellence !!,BBS all the way with not even a hint of irritation..All this being said ,the stick has a little extra scent,and perhaps a little richer lather,it is handcrafted and it shows the soapmaker really knows what the hell he is doing..So sad BOOTS products are extremely hard to get in the U.S. ,they are very desireable shave products.

Attachments

• $DSC_1878.jpg
    $DSC_1878.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 125
  • $DSC_1881.jpg
    $DSC_1881.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 125
  • $DSC_1882.jpg
    $DSC_1882.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 121
  • $DSC_1883.jpg
    $DSC_1883.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 121
  • $DSCN0268.jpg
    $DSCN0268.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 126

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Boots, the ubiquitous chemist over there ... I'm sure the product's good; has me curious. Perhaps meant for the new trend of DE shavers.

AA

Boots is the main High Street chemist in the United Kingdom
On the whole, their products are consistent in quality and very good value for money.
Their own branded aftershaves are cheap, but passable and their own label Bay Rum used to be one of my favourite products.
Wilkinson Sword Classic DE razors and blades are reasonably priced, and the Boots DE blades are rebranded Personna blades from Israel.
They say "Hindsight Is A Wonderful Thing", if I'd known I was going to get back into DE shaving, I would have stocked up to the hilt at Boots before moving to Mallorca 10 years ago !!

Boots is a very old British name in shaving goods.The soap in the tub is different than the soap in the stick cylinder,that one is handcrafted for BOOTS by a private soapmaker. The cap on the tub looks to be made from a high quality polycarbonate,it doesn't have much flex,and fits like a tight glove ,thanks to both tub and cap having short ,effective locking threads.!...The tub itself is not a cheapo ,it's sturdy plastic ,and very reuseable . The scent is unique,a kind of dry powdery scent with a hint of black pepper and dry citrus ,like grapefruit pith , I like it,nice and clean...Fantastic lather that really lasts,one lathering made enough suds to shave both my head and face !...The lube is excellent , I was using a fat handled Tech and a virgin TREET Silver carbon blade ,the shave was par excellence !!,BBS all the way with not even a hint of irritation..All this being said ,the stick has a little extra scent,and perhaps a little richer lather,it is handcrafted and it shows the soapmaker really knows what the hell he is doing..So sad BOOTS products are extremely hard to get in the U.S. ,they are very desireable shave products.

Hi Malocchio,

which one do you prefer , the sick or the bowl one ?

rgds

Tam

Hi Malocchio,

which one do you prefer , the sick or the bowl one ?

rgds

Tam

Tam...I think I like the stick a little better, it seems a little creamier and the scent is a tiny bit more potent.The tub is a fine soap for sure,and very easy to lather.

I am glad you like it. I have both the stick and the bowl waiting here for their turn. I picked them up the last time I visited Edinburgh but they are still waiting in line.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Picked up one of these tubs while passing through Heathrow last week, just tried it.

A total win for what it cost! Fairly neutral smell, lathered very well, usable plastic travel bowl ... Coupled with the Boots aftershave, Freshwood, a great combo.

AA

Top Bottom