What's new

Bohin Reversible base plate razor

In addition, I am sure I would have a problem with my wife if a small package arrives from France and it contains a razor!

If you have it shipped to me, I will post it to you from a stateside address. Or just have it sent to your work. We can work around this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1936 French Bohin patent FR807430
proxy.php

Interesting claims made for the Bohin, via Google translation,

Advanced safety razor.
Safety razors generally have a comb and a hat between which is clamped a thin blade with sharp edges. For the instrument to be fully effective, the cutting edges should protrude by a precisely and uniformly determined amount from the surfaces of the comb and hat that are applied against the skin of the face and that the blade does not protrude. can neither move nor vibrate during use. Now these conditions are optimal. do not meet in common shavers.
The present invention relates to an improved razor which belongs to the category defined above and satisfies the desiderata expressed above.

One of the peculiarities of the shaver object of the invention lies in the fact that the bearing points of the blade against the two parts that surround it belong to factory surfaces and rectified-arranged on the parts in question in such a way said blade is held along lines strictly parallel to and at a short distance from its cutting edge or edges, the lines in question extending continuously over the entire width of the instrument; in fact the comb comprises for the cutting edge or edges of the blade one or two continuous ribs limited externally by a rectilinear edge which acts alone as a support on the comb for said blade when the latter is bent after installation of the The comb is constituted by a rigid piece, machined,

Another feature of the invention which can be applied independently of the preceding but preferably is used in combination with it, is the following: the usual centering pins are preferably carried by the comb and not by the cap; in addition, the surf aces which limit them on the side close to a cutting edge and on the opposite side are perfectly machined and spaced from each other by a determined distance which is equal to that of the opposite edges of the drill holes. the: blade curved state (service position) that is to say is slightly less than this distance when the blade is flat.

Fig. 1 shows, in perspective, the shaver object of the invention.
Fig. 2 is, on an enlarged scale, an elevational view of the upper part of the razor.
Fig. 3 is a section along the line III-III of FIG. 2.
FIG. 4 shows, in plan, the razor comb on which the blade has been indicated in phantom.
Fig. 5 is a cross section showing the various constituent parts of the razor before assembly. Fig. 6 is a view similar to FIG. 3, the blade being clamped between the comb and the cap in the position suitable for use of the razor.

Showing the relationship between the width of the holes of the blade and the width of the centering pins of said blade, before and after curving of this blade. The razor object of the present invention is of the so-called safety type and comprises the three main usual parts namely: the handle 1, the comb 2, the cap .3 and the blade 4 which may be a blade of current manufacture.

The blade 4 is threaded on lugs 5 carried by the comb 2 and its centering is ensured in the following manner: the lugs 5 have a width 1 slightly smaller than the width L of the corresponding holes of the blade 4 as shown in fig. 7. This width is accurately determined and obtained by performing a very careful machining pins 5; for this purpose the lugs may affect, in section, the shape indicated in FIG. 4, that is to say include two relatively thin wings that depart in opposite directions of a larger central boss. Thanks to this feature, and taking into account the fact that when tightened between the comb 2 and the cap 3, the blade 4 is curved, the lateral edges of the holes of the blade closely enclose the pins 5.When, we obtain immobilization, absolute, of the blade in the transverse direction and the parallelism between the cutting edges of the blade and the faces of the lugs 5 of the comb is ensured. The comb 2 of the razor object of the present invention is the same as the fully machined cap and further rectified. For the machining to be easier, the comb has the general shape of an I, that is to say it comprises a rectilinear core 6 (FIG 3) provided at each of its ends with a wing. 7 in which are cut the teeth 8 of the comb. The wings 7 have a surface whose outer edge 9 has been made perfectly straight after machining. The comb thus produced is reversible and it is provided for this purpose with lugs 5 on both sides (FIG 5).

The outer edges of the surfaces 9 serve as bearing lines for the blade (Fig. 3).
When the cap 3 is tightened on the comb, the blade 4 curves as shown in FIG. 6 and it is perfectly maintained in this position, on the one hand, by the edges of the bearings 9 and, on the other hand, by a surface 10 of suitable concavity provided on the cap 3.

The blade thus mounted (FIG. is protected in a very effective way by the comb 2, moreover-it is maintained throughout its length so that the vibrations are suppressed. The edges between which is embedded the blade, that is to say the outer edges of the cap 3 and flanges or ribs 7 are parallel to each other and the cutting edges of the blade
Since the comb 2 is reversible, it is advantageous to condition the surfaces 9 so that for one of the faces of the comb the blade is further apart from the teeth 8 than when it is applied to the other face.
The user can therefore, by choosing the appropriate face of the comb, be able to shave in the same safety conditions but more or less close.

In order to facilitate the identification of the desired face of the wrist, it is possible to provide the lugs relative to a face with a mark such as a notch 11.

It is quite obvious that it is possible to make detailed modifications to the embodiments. described above without departing from the scope of the present invention.

I love the round set, but ended up with this one instead... somehow it flew under the radar and I got it for a really good price. Needless to say, the seller was quite disappointed.

Did you get this set and the advertising from the same seller? I had been watching these for sometime.

I had the set for a few years but just found that blade window display advertisement to complement it.

Jake must stay up at night hunting down these unique razors! Very nice, gents.
Not really. That razor was something I bought a few years ago when the Bohins were not as highly prized as today. It's nice to have some more of the provenance to complement that set.

Thank you for sharing the patent. This at least puts a time stamp on the early production of these razors. Wonder how long they were produced?

Those patent drawings are very good and may just be good enough for someone to repop this design.

I think Greg at iKon put out the initial brass SBS with it's flippable base plate before the Rockwell was produced, but I could be wrong.
Either way, they both got scooped by the Bohin, which is also really beautiful in an art deco sort of way.

I’m convinced there aren’t any new ideas. The Bohin is a beautiful classic.

Are all three of your baseplates identical? Was wondering if Bohin ever varied their system. Every Bohin I've ever bid on I've been outbid on. Hah! It was you! (I'll get one one day)

The 3 baseplates seem to be identical, and I haven't seen anything else. But, maybe :001_rolle

As for being outbid, Feather-man, it probably wasn't me - 2 were outside d'bay network. But they were very reasonable...

Beauties all! What is the little round tube for? It only seems to be in the round box version? The Bohin I had a few years ago was boxless. Quite a good shaver and certainly an interesting variant on the razor design.

I think Greg at iKon put out the initial brass SBS with it's flippable base plate before the Rockwell was produced, but I could be wrong.
Either way, they both got scooped by the Bohin, which is also really beautiful in an art deco sort of way.
Rockwell patent filing was a couple months earlier by my research.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom