What's new

Blue-black ink.

strop

Now half as wise
I recently picked up a Parker 21 and discovered it was still inked. I started to flush it but instead decided to use it. I'm at the office catching up on work, and am really enjoying both the pen and the ink. This is a traditional blue-black like I remember from years ago. Definitely blue, but much more muted that a lot of blues out there. The Noodler's blue black I have seems more blue/grenn-black than this. Any suggestions as to what ink I should look for?

Thanks.

Mark

Tried to remove the second black above but it doesn't show up in the edit post. Must be a software glitch.

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
Well, living in a small town does have it's advantages. On my way home from the office, I did my twice monthly stop at the antique mall. No new razors of FPs, but I did find a bottle of vintage Parker Quink permanent blue-black. I'm bettin' that's what was already in the pen!:w00t::thumbup1:

Mark

Skrip Washable Blue is what I would consider a classic blue-black ink from my youth. It's no longer available and hard to find vintage. The newly manufactured Skrip Blue is too blue and the new Skrip Blue-Black is too black. I haven't tried mixing the two 50/50, but that may be a good approximation.

Blue-black inks are my favorite, but I only own three.

Noodler's Legal Lapis (Bulletproof permanent ink)
Noodler's Air Corps Blue-Black
Parker Quink Blue-Black

It sounds like it's more of a Blue-Green-Black, but I'm going to try Noodler's Squeteague sometime soon. It's a nice vintage sort of color and looks to be right up my street.

-Andy

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Don't rule out modern iron-gall inks such as the blue-blacks from European ink makers.

• Montblanc Midnight Blue
  • Lamy blue-black (bottled)
  • Diamine Registrar's Ink
  • Rohrer and Klingner Salix or Scabiosa

I use these inks regularly in both vintage and modern fountain pens.

Permanence and fade resistance as well as an intriguing history dating to the Middle Ages pulled me in. As with these types of archival inks they write a little dry and good pen hygiene is important (as usual).

strop

Now half as wise
Thanks, gentlemen. Looks like I have several to add to my collection.

The Private Reserve Sonic Blue I have loaded today is close but not saturated enough. I'll be on the lookout for some vintage Scrip and Quink Blue=Black.

Mark

I like Noodler's Van Gogh Starry Night (long name) which is a fountain pen network special edition. Not sure if it is technically a blue black, but it is a stunning dark blue.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
In the old days (even before my time) at the post office you could fill your pen for free -- they had this giant inkwell at major post offices in large cities, some postal worker refilled it occasionally throughout the day from a quart bottle. But it was always this mess of everyone's backwash of whatever they had in their pens before dumping plus this fresh postal ink. Quite a mess from what I've heard, but . . . also a pretty cool shade of blue-black!

I think of this when I fill with Noodler's Manhattan 1931 Blue, an Arthur Brown exclusive.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
And at schools one student was assigned to mix the ink powder with water and fill the inkwells at every desk.

In the old days (even before my time) at the post office you could fill your pen for free -- they had this giant inkwell at major post offices in large cities, some postal worker refilled it occasionally throughout the day from a quart bottle. But it was always this mess of everyone's backwash of whatever they had in their pens before dumping plus this fresh postal ink. Quite a mess from what I've heard, but . . . also a pretty cool shade of blue-black!

I think of this when I fill with Noodler's Manhattan 1931 Blue, an Arthur Brown exclusive.

And at schools one student was assigned to mix the ink powder with water and fill the inkwells at every desk.

I'm suddenly feeling very nostalgic for an era I never knew.

proxy.php

Is that pretty close to the color as it appears on paper?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Arthur Brown? Nice blue but brings to mind something a bit more red/orange . . . smokey like. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom