What's new

Blades for rescaling

I've been thinking for a while now that it would be fun one day (ha ha, when I have time and money, and am no longer a penniless student!) to make set of scales from curly birch wood- I've used it making handles for scandi knoves, and it looks utterly beautiful. So a blade is needed.

Anyway, I've been keeping my eyes open in all the likely places (junk shops etc) for a razor with a good blade but broken scales. I remember seeing several in the past, but as soon as I start looking, all I find is lovely handles on a wafer thin blade with a bite taken out of it!

So, what I wondered, is would any of the famous companies (Dovo, TI) sell me just a blade? I've never used a modern razor, but thought this could be a good way to kill two birds with one stone, get to try one out, and get a Birch scaled razor. Would they do this? Has anybody got any suggestions?

I've been thinking for a while now that it would be fun one day (ha ha, when I have time and money, and am no longer a penniless student!) to make set of scales from curly birch wood- I've used it making handles for scandi knoves, and it looks utterly beautiful. So a blade is needed.

Anyway, I've been keeping my eyes open in all the likely places (junk shops etc) for a razor with a good blade but broken scales. I remember seeing several in the past, but as soon as I start looking, all I find is lovely handles on a wafer thin blade with a bite taken out of it!

So, what I wondered, is would any of the famous companies (Dovo, TI) sell me just a blade? I've never used a modern razor, but thought this could be a good way to kill two birds with one stone, get to try one out, and get a Birch scaled razor. Would they do this? Has anybody got any suggestions?

They aren't going to do this for you. Why do you ask? Well - both companies products are in radically high demand, and as a result - if you wanted to become a vendor - there would be a 6 month to 1 year wait just to get stock! Seeing as how the products are in such tremendous demand - I cannot see it plausible they would do a "one-off" for you.

I'd suggest getting one of the dovo "best quality" razors, or a TI Gnome - which have very plain, cheap handles. In all reality - even if you were to get TI or Dovo to give you JUST a blade, it would probably only be a few dollars cheaper (if even that) than one with a plain plastic handle. The plastic handles are a dime a dozen.... literally.

Hmm, it's what I suspected. I can't easily bring myself to destroy something that is in good working order, or I'd have taken the scales off some of my other razors a long time ago!

Top Bottom