What's new

Blade of SR hits a scale when closing

I have a Filly 14 whose blade on occasion will hit a scale when closing. I wonder if this is a sign that the pin needs peening? I don't feel any special looseness in the joint. Any suggestions and should I peen if I do, the side of the pin where it closes and hits or opposite. Man7 thanks in advance.

PS The condition is worse when I put a little oil in the joint. If the blade is stiff between the washers it is usually OK but once I oil it to keep rust off it becomes sloppy.

Post photos for better advice. From sides and top down.

It could be a loose pivot pin, warped scales, or may just need a slight adjustment.

If the wedge is not glued, you can adjust the blade centering, tapping the pivot pin in the opposite direction that you want the blade tip to go.

I like the pivot pin to be tight, so that when held upside down the blade will remain in the scales and hold open in any position.

I have a couple of razors in my rotation which are capable of hitting the scales,
but they don't have to if I close them carefully.

I don't have to force the blade into place.
The wiggle room is both small
and sufficient to easily place the blade between the scales,
so that's how I deal with it.

This Temperite is one of those.
It's one of my very favorite razors and I don't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
I will make a photo in the next few days. It seems that when a drop of oil reduces the friction it is worse so I will stay away from oil and put some grease on the tang and blade to keep rust off

Try holding the pivot pin between the thumb and index finger of your dominant hand and the wedge pin with your other hand, and then gently twist the pivot pin end to make the blade align. This sometimes helps.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Yes Frank, this may indicate the pin is bent. Only fix I know of is to re-pin. If it is just loose, it can be tightened by judicial peening. There is a thread on here somewhere that describes resetting blade alignment by peening. It has specific instructions on which side to tap the pin while peening to adjust the alignment. A permanent fix.

Top Bottom