What's new

Blade Biter's Tasting Notes

lasta

Blade Biter
Personna Super Stainless made in Great Britain.

1710297588786.png

I'm taking some time off from Balin's Blade Bonanza to try something I've been very much looking forward to. 1960's early Personna made in Great Britain. I've seen old black & white commercials about these and they were very adamant about "Made in GB" while having actors claim "15 shaves per blade".

Less well known, even amongst vintage blade enthusiasts, so I assume Personna UK didn't operate for very long. If these were distributed in the mid 60's, the $.79 label would mean just shy of $8 per 5 blades by today's standards. Very expensive as far as razor blades are concerned.

First, like a lot of very old blades, the lubricant oil has long since turned into glue. Fortunately, these came in a very nice dispenser with a sliding tray, so I didn't have to crack it open like some Gillette models.

1710296340794.png

1710296402800.png

I was a bit put off at the beginning because while unreliable, I do like to get at least an idea of where sharpness is with a hanging hair test. This blade did not give an effortless pop...in fact, it didn't catch the hair at all, both sides, center, edges, no bite anywhere, completely dull!

Understandably, this disheartened me a little, but I decided to try and shave with it anyways.

Lesson learned? Hanging hair tests mean nothing on coated blades! These are very old, bevel coating was still a new thing and processes are a lot less effective than today. This blade is an excellent example of excessive coating, but fortunately, one that flakes off after just a few swipes, thus revealing a very nice edge.

First two strokes were a bit hard, but from the third onward, it was all smooth sailing. First pass WTG and they felt very generic, nothing special. But they really came alive on the second ATG pass. Very little resistance, even on the corners of my mustache, suggesting a quite high level of sharpness. I finished the shave by wetting some entrenched areas then buffing them out for an all over BBS. These are not buttery smooth, nor prickly, certainly above average.

Are these the new holy grail GSB killer? No. But they are very good, balanced in both sharpness and smoothness. If I come across more, I'll stock up without hesitation.

First impression 4/5 sharp, 4/5 smooth.

1710297906854.png

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Every once in a while, a new thread pops up asking BBers to name their favourite razors. Most people will start with a disclaimer that the list is not in order, list down 2, then populate the 3rd spot with 5 other razors. For me this is a simple answer: Tech!

20240316_125717.jpg

I've used this one for more than 300 shaves now, and every time I pick it up, I can't help but pinch my fingers and blow a kiss. Absolute perfection in shaving.

A lot of this has to do with familiarity and maybe even muscle memory, but I haven't found any other razor combining adequate efficiency and supreme smoothness. I feel the blade doing its job in every stroke, yet at no point do I notice it digging into my skin. It takes the same 2 pass plus touch ups for me to reach BBS as any other razor, yet the Tech does it with the least amount of irritation.

I have a few other shiny shinies that I love, but even if I entomb them in clear resin and mount them on a wall, I'd be a happy shaver with just this one.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Every once in a while, a new thread pops up asking BBers to name their favourite razors. Most people will start with a disclaimer that the list is not in order, list down 2, then populate the 3rd spot with 5 other razors. For me this is a simple answer: Tech!

View attachment 1813214

I've used this one for more than 300 shaves now, and every time I pick it up, I can't help but pinch my fingers and blow a kiss. Absolute perfection in shaving.

A lot of this has to do with familiarity and maybe even muscle memory, but I haven't found any other razor combining adequate efficiency and supreme smoothness. I feel the blade doing its job in every stroke, yet at no point do I notice it digging into my skin. It takes the same 2 pass plus touch ups for me to reach BBS as any other razor, yet the Tech does it with the least amount of irritation.

I have a few other shiny shinies that I love, but even if I entomb them in clear resin and mount them on a wall, I'd be a happy shaver with just this one.
I think my Canada Pre-war Tech is out for delivery today. I’ll know more when we get home tomorrow.

My first DE shave was with a Flat Bottom Tech. Coming from 5 months using an AC razor, I was a bit underwhelmed. I’ve learned a few things this past year and a half, so I hope like this Canada Tech.

lasta

Blade Biter
I think my Canada Pre-war Tech is out for delivery today. I’ll know more when we get home tomorrow.

My first DE shave was with a Flat Bottom Tech. Coming from 5 months using an AC razor, I was a bit underwhelmed. I’ve learned a few things this past year and a half, so I hope like this Canada Tech.
I'm sure you'll love it!

Nothing like going home to a well wrapped present.

lasta

Blade Biter
Is that a pre or post-war Tech, @lasta? Date or no date code? Just curious and wanting to know what you like best.

A bit of a frankentech, or what I like to call a rescued POW razor.

Flat Bottom baseplate (WWII service issue version) with a 2-bar US pre-war Tech top cap. More quality reading here:

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
I managed another near BBS shave with a 4th use vintage Personna. Alright results, but for some reason, it produced weepers in every shave except the first.

20240317_132009.jpg

Aftershave sting was also very strong. This is ofcourse compounded by the 70%+ alcohol DIY aftershave.

Bijian EDT was never one of my favourites. This cologne hails from the peak of 80s culture when square was sexy and padded shoulder were the norm. Very strong herbal animalic scent. Think WWIII, but rats vs badgers and the battleground a well stocked spice cabinet.

I dumped the rest of the bottle down the drain. Might mix up a lighter scented splash this afternoon.

Top Bottom