What's new

Blackland Osprey: Ti vs. SS

Hi, all! I have the SS Osprey and it’s currently my favorite razor. The mild settings are perfect for my face and beard. For those that have (had) both, how do they compare? I suspect many will like the Ti version even more.

Any feedback is welcome! I’m a bourbon away from pulling the trigger…

Thank you!
Joe

I imagine the Ti might be a smoother shave, but lets see if anyone can speak from personal experience. Or did you already have another bourbon & ordered it?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have no Osprey, no bourbon, but cognac!
GIF by Cognac Pierre De Segonzac

I think SS is fine, unless you find it too heavy. It's shinier than polished titanium, so consider that.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have the SS Osprey, and I absolutely love it, its the best razor in my fleet. It also happens to be my best adjustable as well, the other's I have pale in comparison to it. Its the smoothest shaving razor that I have, no other's can compare. I don't have both variations however, when one spends 350 buckaroo's on a SS razor, one does not go spending another 560 - 600 buckaroo's for a titanium version after that.

Your going to pay a real premium if you want the Osprey in titanium, so you have to ask yourself, how much is that weight reduction worth to you? For me, I could never justify the cost to get the titanium version for weight reduction. Heck, my Timeless titanium TI95 razor only cost me 360 buckaroo's out the door, and that was after kitting it up a bit from its stock position!

Yes, the SS version that I have is going to weigh more of course, but it costs far cheaper too. And now that the SS version is 20% off on Shanes website, now is a great time to make a purchase, if you want an Osprey razor. For me personally, I absolutely love my Osprey, and I will never ever sell it. So that should tell you something!

proxy.php

I have the stainless steel version and it's a decent razor, but I find the titanium version too rich for my blood. In my experience, titanium razors serve as a buffer, meaning that if I like a stainless steel razor from this or that brand a lot, then I would like that same razor in titanium a bit more.

That happened to me with the Blackbird - I've had the stainless steel version and I liked it a lot and then bought the titanium version, which I find slightly better and for me it was worth it. But the price difference between the steel vs titanium versions of the Blackbird is not as huge and I like the Blackbird more than the Osprey, so in my case, a titanium Osprey isn't going make that huge of a difference.

The advantage with titanium besides weight and more tensile strength is it’s imperviousness towards rust. I don’t have to worry about my wife’s titanium razors being stored in the shower. That said I’m satisfied enough with my SS Osprey and not interested with the titanium version just like with my Blackbird. I do have a pairs of razors in both metals and can distinguish the metal by feel although it’s not obvious. The ss has a colder/harder feel whereas the titanium has a softer/warmer feel -if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
If the SS is too heavy, can’t you just take that brass weighty thingy out? 🧐

Hello T-Bone!

Yes you can remove the brass insert to reduce the overall weight, but doing so throws off the weight distribution, makes it head heavy, which could effect your shave.

SS Osprey Razor Weight With Brass Insert = 105G.

SS Osprey Razor Weight No Brass Insert = 88G

For the record, the Blackland Osprey weighs less then the Rex Ambassador. I actually praised Shane publicly for achieving that goal, through his expert use of CNC milling. The SS Osprey weighs far less then the Merkur Futur, which is the heaviest razor I own too.

If you have the Osprey SS and it's working great, considering that Ti has a habit of appearing
milder on the face due to a characteristic of the alloy plus the light weight.
It will cost you $480 (20% discount now) to find out.
And since these are regular production razors, not very easy to sell without taking a hit.
Interesting dilemma.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Of course this would be a pure luxury purchase as I certainly don’t “need” another razor. :)
The summer sale is unfortunately only for the steel Osprey... :)

Have you already made up your mind, do you still need possibly strong booze to justify buying the titanium version?
The markup for titanium, polished, compared to SS in polished is quite a number, unfortunately.

How about an Iridianesque decision: Rather buy the fitting Osprey stand, if you don't have it already! :)

I didn’t realize that Blackland offers a 10% military discount. Needless to say, that moved the needle enough for me to make the purchase. A nice, two-finger pour of a good bourbon has a similar effect. :cool:

A new, machined Ti Osprey with stand and a new Vector baseplate will be heading my direction in the next day or so. It's too bad I'm traveling for the next week and half and will have to wait to try it out.

Top Bottom