What's new

BIC Metal + Gillette gel... Speechless

I had to stay at a friend's house and as I De (Se, injector, gem, shavette) user bought with a bit of hesitance a pack of bic metal and a Gillette shaving gel.
I am totally impressed. The bic metal won for me. The gel so so. I used my. Body tabac as an emergency aftershave. I used twice this system and it works perfectly for me.

I could use this system without any problem, if I just didn't have so much stash already.

I had to stay at a friend's house and as I De (Se, injector, gem, shavette) user bought with a bit of hesitance a pack of bic metal and a Gillette shaving gel.
I am totally impressed. The bic metal won for me. The gel so so. I used my. Body tabac as an emergency aftershave. I used twice this system and it works perfectly for me.

I could use this system without any problem, if I just didn't have so much stash already.
I’m a big fan of the Bic Metal razor. It’s better than the majority of my expensive artisan razors (which are actually metal) but the razor about the same as one DE blade. Thinking about it like that it’s kind of a free razor.

I need to use a little pressure to get a close shave with the Bic, as it is extremely light, but it’s so gentle and forgiving I can do that and get superb shaves with virtually no risk of irritation. It’s the only razor I use now when travelling, but I could easily justify it being my only razor at home as well.

I use mine with shavng soap and a brush, FWIW. Haven’t used it with a shave gel, and I see no reason to change my pre-shave and lathering routine.

Never tried the Bic Metal but i do have the Bic Sensitive 2 (green handle). Its a 2-blade cart along the lines of the Bic metal (same handle style, very light plastic hollow handle.
It gives great shaves, i have now about 8 shaves with it i guess, still works well, its better and more efficient than the Bic sensitive one blade razor.
Quite good razors those little Bics, great for travel. But super light and they look very plastic-like.

The BIC Metal was my travel razor for many years, used with the stub of a Speick soap stick. The design is good. Head very compact, like an injector razor. Materials cheap. The main problem with shaving performance is it is so light in weight.

Try ditching the gel and using a shaving soap stick. You can usually lather it by hand.

The BIC Metal was my travel razor for many years, used with the stub of a Speick soap stick. The design is good. Head very compact, like an injector razor. Materials cheap. The main problem with shaving performance is it is so light in weight.

Try ditching the gel and using a shaving soap stick. You can usually lather it by hand.
The gel works even though I will use it very rarely. . It reminds me of my university time when I used shaving gel only. I hated shaving foam.

While I can't speak for Bic I've always been impressed by Gillette's shaving gel any time I used it also. It always works really well for me. I recently shaved with a new Gillette Fusion and Gillette Fusion shave gel with Almond Oil and I'll not lie, I was impressed with it and the results.. it gave me a really close, smooth shave with no irritation.

Canned shaving gels, at least in my opinion, are much better than canned foams.. shave foams seem very "airy" to me.. like they've no body.. but the gels often seem much thicker and slicker.. I feel gels offer more protection and lubrication than foam, in turn resulting in less irritation/burn.. I never noticed any drying of my skin from using Gillette gel either.. but those are just my experiences. What works for me may not for others.

However I do love the whole ritual of making up my own lather in a bowl from a cream or soap, using a shaving brush. But if pushed for time or if I didn't have any I'd be more than happy to use Gillette's shaving gel.

Thanks for sharing, albsat!

The Bic Metal is probably the best disposable in existence. The single blade at least mimics SE's & DE's and it shaves incredibly well. Whenever I travel and don't want to be bothered with any other gear, I take one with me. I'll skip the Gillette gel though. The only gel I've liked is King Of Shaves which I'd rate as the #1 gel by a longshot.

Just ending my report on Big Metal. I got 8 shaves out of one razor. I will push for two more.

The truth is that if a newbie uses a big metal he might never try a de razor. Apart the cost which in this hobby is a prohibited word. Big metal can substitute any de razor in my opinion.

Just ending my report on Big Metal. I got 8 shaves out of one razor. I will push for two more.

The truth is that if a newbie uses a big metal he might never try a de razor. Apart the cost which in this hobby is a prohibited word. Big metal can substitute any de razor in my opinion.
Also the cool thing is that it's brother the Bic sensitive shaves quite similar and you can get those at about any good ol' gas station or dollar store in an emergency.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The BIC Metal gets a lot of love here on the forum. I have not found them in stores out here in Australia but they are available on line from overseas. The funny thing is you can find lots of other BIC cartridge razors out here but not this particular one.

Every time I try a Bic metal razor I am impressed how good it shaves... Used a fresh Bic Metal today with Speick cream. As good as any De or Se shave.
These are indeed great little razors. Found them a while ago here in Holland for 1 euro per 5.
Not as cheap as DE but if I lose it I won't shed any tears over it. They last me about 15 shaves so quite cost efficient.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_9939.jpeg

The famous BIC Metal can now be found out here in Australia. I went to the Reject Shop here in town and they had a five pack for $3.00. I finished up buying three packs. I went back a few days later and they also had a ten pack on show for $3.50. So I bought three packs. I am set for a while.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Another Bic Metal fan here. I ised a Bic Metal and a Redken Amino Pon bar for decades while working. I’m pretty much SR only on my face but still use a Bic Metal on the back of my neck.

Top Bottom