What's new

Better shave after letting hair grow a few day?

I know I've heard some people say that they get a better shave with a few days of growth, is this the case for you? I guess the razor and blade play a big role but for me I feel like I do get a closer shave with atleast 3 days of growth but it could very well be all in my head. Id like to see how different razors perform when it comes to different amounts of growth (I only have one shaver, a vintage hand-me-down Gillette Flare Tip SS so it's very mild). But this is just generally speaking, I know there are a ton of variables when it comes to this topic.

I feel I've always got a better shave with a couple days growth. Even when I was shaving with my Mach3 I felt like I got a better shave with a bit of growth.

imcndn

Not for me. If I skip just one day then the next day's shave is much more uncomfortable. Doesn't matter what soap,blade or razor I use. It gets even worse if I skip more than one day. End result is usually a poorer shave with more stubble left behind unless I had one more pass than I usually do.

I feel I've always got a better shave with a couple days growth. Even when I was shaving with my Mach3 I felt like I got a better shave with a bit of growth.

imcndn

+1, yes it does seem smoother after a two day growth.

With my sensitive skin, the 2nd day shave is often better. It gives the skin a day to heal. Same things after several days of not shaving.

That's why I average 3 days between shaves. Plenty of time for the face to heal. It was my dermatologist who told me to not shave so often to avoid the troublesome skin I was having. As the hair grows it also becomes more pliable and less stiff/ rigid as it is when it is short. For me at least,all the hair on my face after 24 hr has not even grown enough to be cut again. For years I was shaving everyday to stay neat, but in reality I was dragging a razor over my face just causing irritation for practically nothing.

Same for me but I don't know why. I typically shave daily and only skip a day once in awhile. I seem to get a closer shave on those days. Does anyone know why?

Better shave after 2 days of growth, absolute best after 3 days. Any more than that, and the stubble becomes more obtrusive. I think it has to do with what another member said that after 24 hours, my stubble is not all that long and I irritate my skin more, but only slightly. If it were up to me, I'd shave every 2 or 3 days, but the wife REALLY likes me to shave every day, and it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. :001_cool:

Better shave after 2 days of growth, absolute best after 3 days. Any more than that, and the stubble becomes more obtrusive. I think it has to do with what another member said that after 24 hours, my stubble is not all that long and I irritate my skin more, but only slightly. If it were up to me, I'd shave every 2 or 3 days, :001_cool:

Agreed with your theory. I also think that the hair that grows in after the first stubble is softer, more like natural hair. For me one of the real pleasures of DE shaving is that the method handles 2-3 days growth as good as if not better than 1 day growth. With a cart, I find it's really irritating with more than 1.5 days growth. (I'm not a cart hater and still use one a few days a month).

I get the same results whether it's 1, 2, 3, or 4 days of growth. The difference is initial irritation after 1-2 days. With the right amount of care, it subsides overnight. I've resigned myself to shaving every 2.5-3 days for the time being

After 5 days, I trim with clippers before shaving, effectively 1-2 days growth, but less irritation because the skin's had time to heal

1-2 days growth for me gives the most comfortable shave, not necessarily any closer, but more comfortable. Sensitive skin coupled with a steel wire beard can make daily shaving less than perfect. Since moving to traditional wet shaving I can generally shave daily without too much issue. In the cartridge days I would be in pain from day two shave on.

I've never noticed any difference. Many do, but I respectfully suggest it's some kind of a psychological placebo effect.

It's all about angle, pressure, technique, and a good blade, not 3 to 5 days growth preforming some magic on one's face.

Top Bottom