What's new

Best way to polish a SS razor?

I'm about to buy a Wolfman razor and I'm wondering what is the best way to polish this razor? I'm looking for something mild, not Brasso or anything abrasive like that. Should I buy an ultrasonic cleaner?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You could always just keep it clean but let a natural patina develop as you use it; that would be my choice.

I'm not being funny. But once I began the process with CLR to remove some minor scaling. Let's just say it never got to polishing. It stripped the plating like a bachelor party.

I'm about to buy a Wolfman razor and I'm wondering what is the best way to polish this razor? I'm looking for something mild, not Brasso or anything abrasive like that. Should I buy an ultrasonic cleaner?

Which finish? Honestly I'd polish it the least amount possible unless you know what you are doing. It easy to scratch SS with Flitz if you aren't careful. I just rinse and air dry my razors.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Which finish? Honestly I'd polish it the least amount possible unless you know what you are doing. It easy to scratch SS with Flitz if you aren't careful. I just rinse and air dry my razors.
1648067205171.gif

I use Fred’s Professional Polish and Cleaner for guitars. Works like a charm.
If lots of scratches need to be removed, start with n°1 (I wouldn’t recommend though on plating) or n°2, then gradually decrease to n°3 and 4 (the most gentle).

proxy.php

Is it possible to get my razor insured? To take out an insurance policy on my Wolfman razor? Like people do with jewelry and stuff like that.

Maybe wait and see if like the razor first. I'm sure you will have no problem finding someone to insure your Wolfman if you really wanted to do that.

If I have build up on my razors (modest... a Gillette Super Speed and a Parker 26C) is Universal Stone. I also used it on a number of razors (a few dozen ranging 80+ years) for a Saint Sue auction, and there was no problem with any finish or metal types, and it cleans like a charm.

Why was I so confident on using it? I've also used it for years to clean sterling silver jewellry, and sterling silver silverware. It's also great on pretty much anything, but it isn't cheap, so I don't use it on big things. That said, a little goes a long way. I can't see it on the site, or on my jar of it, but my scientist friend (paleontologist) that got me into it, said what size the polishing clay earth they use, was...and it was measured in microns. There is no 'grit' feel, at all.

Not sure if we are allowed to post commercial sites, so I'm putting in a space... universalstone. ca

A matte or brushed stainless steel surface shouldn’t really need any polishing.
That is part of the attractiveness of this material.
In fact, polishing strainless steel might make the surface slippery.

Just a wet nailbrush is all I ever use on my stainless steel safety razors.

B.

Top Bottom