What's new

Best way to carry an inked up pen?

OK, is there a best way to carry an inked pen. Tip up, tip down, on its side? Does it even matter. I usually toss whatever pen I'm carrying in the inside pouch of my messenger bag where it lays on its side. I only occasionally have a shirt with a pocket that I can put my pen in point up. Does it even matter?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'd say tip up in a shirt pocket. Those I keep in my bag are also tip up in an inner divider "pocket". Regardless of position, jostling around can cause ink to splatter from the nib inside the cap and make things messy. Upright seems to minimize it, any other position increases it. It's the gravity of the situation! No shirt pocket? I clip it inside the neck opening of a T or the buttoned part of the neck of a polo. Or cargo pocket of my pants, but that ends up sideways when sitting, so not preferred.

Last edited:
I have a lamy studio that I keep in my briefcase. I bought the metal version so it would be a little more durable.
Tip up in a pen pocket in my bag

Icq also been known to carry them inside my shirt, behind my tie, clipped in between the buttons

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Carry the fountain pen in your breast pocket with the nib up.

It does matter how a person carries his fountain pen.

I also have a fountain pen for fancy printing. Lloyd gave it to me, and he said leave it lying on its side at my desk.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Pocket protector like Dilbert...
Earnest, in my shirt pocket, like everyone would carry the pen, so it is handy and always under control.

If I'm wearing a shirt with a pocket, it goes in there, nib up. If no pocket, I usually end up taking my Kaweco Sport, which just gets dumped into my pants pocket along with the keys, pocket knife, change, etc. If I need a better pen or two, like for a meeting, they go inside my briefcase or portfolio. Since I'm retired, my meetings are few and far between. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom