What's new

Best shavettes?

Trying to acquire my first shavette and I would like to know what shavettes are the best in the game. Which one is your favorite? Which are your top three?

There are a few threads on this.
I like the Universal brand (Italian) clam style full size shavette. My peave with most of them is their diminutive size. They just don't feel like using a real razor.
Any style that holds the blade well will work.

I am not personally experienced with shavettes, but since you asked for the best, apparently the Tedalus Essence Shavette is the best you can get.

I have an inexpensive West Coast Shaving shavette for the limited use of closely trimming moustache lines. I have never used it to shave the full face, but it works well for the limited use I employ.

I am not personally experienced with shavettes, but since you asked for the best, apparently the Tedalus Essence Shavette is the best you can get.

I have an inexpensive West Coast Shaving shavette for the limited use of closely trimming moustache lines. I have never used it to shave the full face, but it works well for the limited use I employ.
That is a very nice looking shavette. I wish the blade went a little further toward the front but nice looking.
RIDICULOUS price though.

I don't know if there is a "best' shavette. They come in several formats like full de, half de, and Artist Club, from a number of makers. If you want an AC format, the Feather DX is very nice.

My favorite are ones which use the Feather Artist Club blades or similar sized blades from Schick or Kai. The Feather DX, SS, and SR are generally well liked, though the SS is the most different and polarizing model. On the higher end is the well made Tedalus which was mentioned above. On the lower price end are various clones from China and Korean. Kai is also in the mix with a couple of good models.

Then there are lots of different DE shavettes. Of the ones I have tried the two I like the best are the Focus Slim Al and one from AliExpress with blade loading mechanism similar to the Kai/CJB Artist club models, except it takes a half DE blade.

If you are totally new to shavettes and straights you might find the Artist Club blades easier to use since they are longer. Any shavette can be mastered with patience and respect, but it will take some time, especially with the basic DE models which expose the corners of the blade.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Have you looked in the Reviews section of B&B? The shavette is also discussed in the B&B Wiki. There is no "best". Everyone has their different preferences.

You first need to decide on which blade type you would prefer, like full DE, half DE, Artist Club, etc. and the closing/blade-clamping arrangement. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Next decide on your budget and start looking.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have a few shavettes all using half DE blades. My favourite is from the Merkhor range stainless steel with a blade exposure of 0.5 it has a nice heft and balance to it and I got it on amazon for £7. It could be a good place to start at this price point hope this helps

Jaguar R1 and R1M The end of the blade is protected by the insert. Many cuts and nicks can be attributed to the end of the blade catching or digging into the skin in using shavettes. (Also take a look at the Dovo and Barbaretta shavettes which have inserts that cover the end of the blade)

My favorite is the Feather AC DX. I’ve modded mine, removed the scales, wrapped the remaining handle with leather cord. Love the stiff AC blades, good longevity. I’ve used a couple of DE blade shavettes, blade flex and/or chatter was noticed….sure that can also be technique, but I don’t have the problem with my DX. It’s one of my favorite open edge shavers, equal in fun as my straights or kamisoris.

Like any shavette, blade choice is high on the list of making the shavette aggressive or mild. Feather Super Pro…..needs great technique. Use one of the guarded blade choices, and the shave is still super efficient, less demanding of your set down pressure. I have been using the Schick Proline blades for over a year now, and those shaves are on auto pilot now. 2 passes, super clean and refreshed.

The Tedalus Essence is interesting, but not on my list. It is highly regarded, well made, and reportedly shaves like a straight. However, the ‘new’ pricing puts it in competition (in my mind) with many nice open edge devices I’d think of first, either new or using a BST option. Some that have used both the Essence and DX claim the angle, including the edge feel (along where the blade is clamped), is very similar.

Below is actually the setup I used today. Traveling for work.

91A5A04B-14E3-4731-BB8D-F51B0BB9DFCA.jpeg

Trying to acquire my first shavette and I would like to know what shavettes are the best in the game. Which one is your favorite? Which are your top three?
Something for your consideration...not expensive, lots of fun and great results!
I just received these pairs and after 1 uses each yesterday and today using the Feather ProGuard AC blades...I can tell you it's fantastic! So very easy, silky smooth, and very efficient! I got it specifically to satisfy my SR urges during travels...
The razors are cheap but the blades are not, although they can last between 8-12 shaves...or more ymmv.
20211130_220111.jpg
20211130_220155.jpg

That is a very nice looking shavette. I wish the blade went a little further toward the front but nice looking.
RIDICULOUS price though.
IMG_1640888433504.JPEG

How much further towards the front do you want it!? It already beats every other shavette design in that particular regard. Injector blades also sit just as far forward. DE blades are the only ones that sit further back, and that is a limitation of the blade, not the razor.

Edit: As for price, it is the cheapest 17-4 PH stainless razor on the market.

These are my favorite shavettes. I haven't gotten into the Artist Club models yet. The first two use half-DE blades. I like the corners exposed and the holder only slightly longer than the blade. The corners of DE blades are rounded and will only cut when the shavette is held or moved the wrong way. DE blades don't flex when they are clamped in place properly. They don't stick out far enough.
20211118_142453~2.jpg
20210929_204408.jpg
20210922_150845.jpg

^
The first two shavettes will also take injector blades.
I just checked. The Parker will hold an injector blade, but not the Univinlions. The injector blade has no exposure on it. There is the same style of shavette sold my Maggard Razors that does work, as has been confirmed by someone who has one. They also report that a half-DE blade has too much exposure with that model.

View attachment 1386188
How much further towards the front do you want it!? It already beats every other shavette design in that particular regard. Injector blades also sit just as far forward. DE blades are the only ones that sit further back, and that is a limitation of the blade, not the razor.

Edit: As for price, it is the cheapest 17-4 PH stainless razor on the market.

When I use shavettes I use DE blades - which isn't often and that's the photo I seen. I normally use straight razors.
I don't know what 17-4 PH stainless is but unless its a precious metal then 500.00 is ridiculous for such an item.
I'm sure some are willing to part with that and that's their business, all the power to them.
From a practical standpoint of dollars for value its just not for this guy.
I can buy a Koraat straight razor for less than that.

When I use shavettes I use DE blades - which isn't often and that's the photo I seen. I normally use straight razors.
I don't know what 17-4 PH stainless is but unless its a precious metal then 500.00 is ridiculous for such an item.
I'm sure some are willing to part with that and that's their business, all the power to them.
From a practical standpoint of dollars for value its just not for this guy.
I can buy a Koraat straight razor for less than that.
CHF 319.00 or approximately $348.00 USD is what it retails for. I'm not sure where you are getting the 500.00 price from.

17-4 PH is an unusual grade of stainless steel. It is harder to machine than 304 or 316L, which are the two main grades of steel used for stainless razors. It's highly magnetic, unlike 99% of stainless steel. The PH means 'precipitation hardened', which does make the razor more resistant to handling damage.

It is a limited run CNC machined straight razor with many features and design elements that are usually only seen on high end custom straight razors. It happens to take disposable blades. It is priced like a limited edition custom straight razor because that is exactly what it is.

It is the first true 'high end' shavette style razor.

Given the complexity of the razor design, the extremely precise machining, the premium materials and finishes used, and the limited number (333) made, I'm surprised he was able to get the price so low.

When I say "premium materials" I mean just that. He used the best materials he could find to make a razor that could last 100 years. It is an heirloom quality piece, and by that I mean it could get passed down to the grandkids in working condition... so that they can sell it in a yard sale for $5.

There is no other shavette on the market that so accurately replicates the feel of a true straight razor. How much is that worth?

CHF 319.00 or approximately $348.00 USD is what it retails for. I'm not sure where you are getting the 500.00 price from.
I'm in Canada.
Their website states 319 U.S or 442 Can.
The only other site to carry them I see is Gadgetflow at 434 U.S - well over 500 Can.

Brand new near custom Koratt 14.2 = 280 Euro or 403 Can
If I want to shave with a straight its a no brainer.

You obviously have one or are trying to justify a purchase;) Either way I'm sure you will like it, it looks very nice!
I don't know of too many that use shavettes exclusively. They normally migrate toward an actual straight razor and use a shavette periodically, if at all.

Enjoy your new razor.

There is no other shavette on the market that so accurately replicates the feel of a true straight razor. How much is that worth?

The Tedalus is a very nice take on the shavette, no doubt about it. The holder is elegant and visually appealing to a degree I haven't seen anywhere else. By all accounts the magnetic closure is a better design than a spring closure.

But, and this is just my opinion, obviously, the scales...are not elegant and visually appealing. That's the nicest way I can say it.

The larger point, though, that it replicates the feel of a true straight razor? A folding kamisori, maybe. It's dimensionally very similar to those (wide blade, long tail, short, straight cutting edge). Nothing wrong with that, at all, but that's not the design of 98% of straight razors.

Ultimately no matter how nice you make it, it's still just a frame for an AC style blade.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I have a Mythus like @Chard52142 has - the folding one. It’s the only shavette I have, so the only pluses can I say are:

It holds blades that are sharper than I can make a straight razor
It didn’t cost too much
The scales are orange

I have a Mythus like @Chard52142 has - the folding one. It’s the only shavette I have, so the only pluses can I say are:

It holds blades that are sharper than I can make a straight razor
It didn’t cost too much
The scales are orange
Thanks! Yup, I have DE blades, now Feather AC blades clones (Kamisori & Folding), Henkotsu Kamisori, and vintage straights...
The Feather clones are cheap and easy to use. So far, I've only tried the Proguard blades with them. When I get back, I will try with the Professional blades. My experience so far with both razors and the blade is outstanding...very easy, smooth, and bbs results. My objective for both is for traveling use...to satisfy straight razor shaving urges.
The DE blade Shavette experience is not so good as it can bite easily, well that was during my initial foray into the so-called "straight razor" I haven't used it for a long time.
For a true straight razor, nothing beats the real thing...but for travel kinda difficult

I'm in Canada.
Their website states 319 U.S or 442 Can.
The only other site to carry them I see is Gadgetflow at 434 U.S - well over 500 Can.

Brand new near custom Koratt 14.2 = 280 Euro or 403 Can
If I want to shave with a straight its a no brainer.

You obviously have one or are trying to justify a purchase;) Either way I'm sure you will like it, it looks very nice!
I don't know of too many that use shavettes exclusively. They normally migrate toward an actual straight razor and use a shavette periodically, if at all.

Enjoy your new razor.
Aye, I have two of them, and so was speaking from my own personal experience with them. Didn't realize the exchange rate was quite that bad for our Canadian friends.

Since the Mythus was brought up, I also had a Mythus razor for a short time, and it was a decent shaver and a great value. If a person is looking for the cheapest entry into the world of Artist Club blades, it's hard to beat. It's not a Feather knock off, either. It's a Kai Luffy copy. Similar to the Kai Captain Woody on Amazon, though not made of stainless steel.

The Tedalus is a very nice take on the shavette, no doubt about it. The holder is elegant and visually appealing to a degree I haven't seen anywhere else. By all accounts the magnetic closure is a better design than a spring closure.

But, and this is just my opinion, obviously, the scales...are not elegant and visually appealing. That's the nicest way I can say it.

The larger point, though, that it replicates the feel of a true straight razor? A folding kamisori, maybe. It's dimensionally very similar to those (wide blade, long tail, short, straight cutting edge). Nothing wrong with that, at all, but that's not the design of 98% of straight razors.

Ultimately no matter how nice you make it, it's still just a frame for an AC style blade.
You may have a point. It is more like a kamasori that happens to have a handle and folds. It's certainly a unique take on the straight razor concept.

august25.jpeg

Ali Biyikli or Sedef Branded Turkish Type shavettes are the most maneuverable shavettes. They are super light. Inserting the blade is tricky. You have to remove side edge of a half DE blade. In furtherence the gap on the blade insert is so tight. You have to loose it by way of making 3-4 passes with the edge of a pocket knife. Once all these process is done you'll reach to a super light, super cheap and super maneuverable shavette.

View attachment 1407563

Ali Biyikli or Sedef Branded Turkish Type shavettes are the most maneuverable shavettes. They are super light. Inserting the blade is tricky. You have to remove side edge of a half DE blade. In furtherence the gap on the blade insert is so tight. You have to loose it by way of making 3-4 passes with the edge of a pocket knife. Once all these process is done you'll reach to a super light, super cheap and super maneuverable shavette.
That is an intriguing shavette. I see that it can be bought in Turkey for around $1 USD or as a six pack on ebay for a good bit more, but still probably the cheapest razor around. One that could be nearly treated as a disposable when traveling or going through airport security.

I watched 3 different youtube videos of people loading the Sedef and none of them used a full size DE blade broken in half. Made me wonder if the curved wing on a blade snapped in half will interfer with the loading. It does look tricky to load, but your advice to first adjust the gap of the blade slot using a knife sounds reasonable. A barber in one of the videos liked the razor in part because it was cheap so he was able to keep a handful loaded and ready at his barber station.

View attachment 1407563

I wish the make the same shavette for artist club blades

That is an intriguing shavette. I see that it can be bought in Turkey for around $1 USD or as a six pack on ebay for a good bit more, but still probably the cheapest razor around. One that could be nearly treated as a disposable when traveling or going through airport security.

I watched 3 different youtube videos of people loading the Sedef and none of them used a full size DE blade broken in half. Made me wonder if the curved wing on a blade snapped in half will interfer with the loading. It does look tricky to load, but your advice to first adjust the gap of the blade slot using a knife sounds reasonable. A barber in one of the videos liked the razor in part because it was cheap so he was able to keep a handful loaded and ready at his barber station.

In Turkey snapped in half DE blades (Perma Sharp and Derby) are very common and cheap. Due to the practical and economical reasons barbers prefers pre-snapped in half DE blades.

Even you snapped half DE blade you have to remove blade edges on both side. This process causes to curve a little the edges of the blade on both side.

So there is no difference whether you use snapped half DE blades or you snap in half a DE blade, end result is a slightly curved side edge when you remove side edges on both side.

The reason of removing side edges is to be able to insert into a deeper poisiton on the shavette to get a milder shave.

I wish the make the same shavette for artist club blades

AC blades are expensive and there is only on supplier. So there is people who are using AC blades including me but I may say it is not a common blade at all.
End the logic behind the Ali Biyikli and Sedef goes to 1962. When the Straight Razors started to leave their places to the shavettes on Turkish Barber markets (they play a leading role in Turkish wet shaving world) an entrepreneur decided to invest for producing cheap shavettes which can use DE blades or pre-snapped in half DE blades which is so cheap.
This history explains why Ali Biyikli and Sedef use DE Blades.
On the other side I agree with you a Turkish shavette which can use AC blade will be fantastic. But do to economical disadvantage it looks undoable.

Top Bottom