What's new

Best Open Comb Easily Bought?

I have the Muhle R101, which is the R41 with ebony handle, and like it very much. This razor is a mild shaver but loosen the handle a quarter turn and it gets a bit more aggresive.

Both the Merkur 1904 and the Mühle OC look great. I'll drop some hints and see what turns up. Hopefully in about 10 days I will be able to show some pics and you can see how she did. :wink2:

In the mean time I will start looking into the New. Bob has a lot of great looking handles and I do have a Psycho Tech that needs a key. :drool:

Hold on there, if you like the original Gillette and appreciate the history of shaving you really need to get yourself a Segal. I have two (both OC) one is chrome and the other gold. Love 'em and I can assure you they shave GREAT. The handles are thicker than the Gillette and give a great grip - just one glance says "masculine." The only downside to them is that you need to trim a blade to fit - I can do it in two minutes tops. It was one of the proprietary razors that obligated you originally to buy blades from Segal for them to fit. It is no problem in the least to trim them to fit and they have a nice heft to them. Highly recommended as there is something in me that really appreciates the heritage of these old razors.

Last edited:
I would send Cooncat Bob an email and pick up a replated old type on your handle of choice.

I Concur. A wonderful replated OLD from Bob on a Bullmastiff slim handle is so good for me it is all I currently use. Anything else fails for me. I know many love the NEW but for me it just a tad aggressive. I find the OLD just right. The Merkur 11C is very close in design but a notch below in shave quality for me.

Thought this deserved a quick followup.

I will eventually get a razor from Cooncat Bob, but because of all the different options to pick between, I prefer to make that purchase myself at a later time.
After dropping some hints I knew that either the Merkur 1904 or the Mühle R41 (or 99R) may show up here - assuming SWMBO is game. To be honest, I started hoping for the Mühle, but was plenty happy nonetheless when this showed up.
full

First impressions of the 1904 are that the handle looks slippery and the finish just isn't that impressive if you look closely.
As for the shave though, works like a charm! Don't know what it is about this head, but it reduces a lot on the first pass and is still gentle enough to use comfortably on the last. Really does produce great results. :thumbup: The handle does not have much grip and is a little short, but the hexagon shape provides control that round handles don't.
Thanks for all the suggestions. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm late to this thread, but I want to second everyone who's mentioned getting a replated NEW and (perhaps) a Bull Mastiff handle from cooncatbob. I bought one nearly a year ago and I couldn't be more pleased. Workmanship is outstanding. This is something that I'll be pleased to pass on to a grandson some day.

Doug

Top Bottom