What's new

Best Ebay Straight Razor purchase?

What is the best deal that you have gotten for a straight razor on Ebay? Feel free to mention how you got it if you know why (listed incorrectly, etc).

For me I got an ERN razor Crown&Sword brand 6/8 round tip, bone scales (I think) with bolsters with original box. It looked almost new and certainly hadn't been used much. I got it for $26 plus $6 shipping.

I have no idea why it didn't receive more/higher bids. I initially picked it out from among the straight razor ads simply because it looked to be in such good condition, it looked good and you don't usually find 6/8 blades with bolsters (usually smaller blades).

It honed up well and is a great shaver. I've gotten 6/8 Ebay razors that were even cheaper ($10) but never anything in this kind of condition and that looked this good. I've seen Crown&Sword razors in not so good condition selling for much more on Ebay.

I'm just posting the Ebay picture as it's easier but it looks even newer in person.

Attachments

• $s-l1600.jpg
    $s-l1600.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Hubba hubba!

I've never really walked into many deals myself on the bay. I guess I don't have the patience to dig around, but I love going to Antique shops and digging. All my best deals come from the wild, but I'm sure some guys have amazing stories from the bay!

About a half dozen under-the-radar tortoiseshell-scaled in the $10-$25 range. Or maybe it was the Dubl Duck 'Reaper' for $100.

'The one that got away' was a MK31 in tortoise IIRC for around $35. It disappeared from my basket as I was paying on PayPal. Level of frustration was exceedingly high at that moment, to say the least.

I was very pleased with this Frederick Reynolds at £23 - say $30. I cannot resist fancy scales:
$Frederick Reynolds.jpg

And I have just bought this Allen Non-XLL for £20 - liked the shape.

$Non XLL Dec 16.jpg

Nearly all my razors have come from ebay. I know I bought two good ones - the Slater bros and a Mappin & Webb for less than £20, but I keep no records and my memory isn't what it was!

C.

Another great bargain was this Joseph Rodgers Imperial 13/16. This appeared to be new old stock, with perfect original box - cost me £18! Shaves like a dream too - and sings!

$Joseph Rodgers Imperial.jpg

C.

A J.A. Henckles #14 Graef & Schmidt 5/8s stamped boxed 7 day ivory set for $204.95. One of the blades had edge pitting too bad to be functional according to Alfredo. I dumped more than the purchase price into the restore, but it became the centerpiece of my collection. Alfredo did a fantastic job cleaning up the set and putting Jnat edges on them. Eight months later I tracked down another replacement razor in great shape. Alfredo restored that one too and now the set is complete. The set popped up with that BIN price, I almost sent my finger through the ipad screen hitting the button.

Attachments

• $IMG_5923.jpg
    $IMG_5923.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 159
  • $IMG_5995.jpg
    $IMG_5995.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 160
  • $IMG_5523.jpg
    $IMG_5523.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 163
A J.A. Henckles #14 Graef & Schmidt 5/8s stamped boxed 7 day ivory set for $204.95. One of the blades had edge pitting too bad to be functional according to Alfredo. I dumped more than the purchase price into the restore, but it became the centerpiece of my collection. Alfredo did a fantastic job cleaning up the set and putting Jnat edges on them. Eight months later I tracked down another replacement razor in great shape. Alfredo restored that one too and now the set is complete. The set popped up with that BIN price, I almost sent my finger through the ipad screen hitting the button.

Now that's fantastic! :)

In my book we have a winner. [emoji106]

Thanks I agree! I am 'keen' on Joseph Rodgers and George Butler razors, they certainly understood how to hollow grind a razor! Of course I realise that there are hundreds of others, and I have far too many already. Some are simply going to have to be sold off - when I have got them shaving - and I think my antique coticule can go too - I cannot make head nor tail of it. Much better results with Naniwa 8k and an Imperia La Rocca finisher.

Rgds

C.

This is a story you will not believe. Back around April I ran across this auction lot on the bay. It included everything you see in the picture below. All razors in new condition. Dovo Carpe Diem, TI Evide Sonnant, AOS brandedTI , Vintage Genco, Weller and Puma Straits and Two Merkur open combs and a new Futur and a no-name with wood handle. Five to seven hundred $ worth of razors even at used prices.
I took the Buy it now for $50 thinking that the gut made a mistake and contacted him to make a reasonable offer on the lot. He said he was done with wetshaving and the price was good. I didn't argue. BEST DEAL EVER!

This is a story you will not believe. Back around April I ran across this auction lot on the bay. It included everything you see in the picture below. All razors in new condition. Dovo Carpe Diem, TI Evide Sonnant, AOS brandedTI , Vintage Genco, Weller and Puma Straits and Two Merkur open combs and a new Futur and a no-name with wood handle. Five to seven hundred $ worth of razors even at used prices.
I took the Buy it now for $50 thinking that the gut made a mistake and contacted him to make a reasonable offer on the lot. He said he was done with wetshaving and the price was good. I didn't argue. BEST DEAL EVER!

Wowsers!!! Thats the score of the year i think!!

Winner! Great score!

Hubba hubba!

I've never really walked into many deals myself on the bay. I guess I don't have the patience to dig around, but I love going to Antique shops and digging. All my best deals come from the wild, but I'm sure some guys have amazing stories from the bay!
That requires real patience! :) Around here anyway.

Well I do believe it but it's a big struggle I can tell you!

C.

You may have won this thread!

By the powers invested in me as the thread starter I hereby declare alpster the thread winner with all the status that goes with that!

I really like my Red Imp. Use this in my rotation. Was restored with beautiful red pearl celluloid scaleS. The seller did a great job with the restoration. I just finished adding the red paint to the lettering.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 74
Top Bottom