What's new

Best drugstore aftershave?

I use Anthony's for razor burn and redness. Works great but it's $20 for 2.5oz so I only use it when it's really needed for burn. Need a go to drugstore aftershave that soothes more than smells but needs to have a nice scent. Using Every Man Jack and it's not bad but looking for a replacement. Suggestions?
What I've used:
1) Every Man Jack
2) Nivea revitalizing aftershave
3) Aveeno aftershave lotion

Aqua Velva. Very refreshing. Very cheap at any Walmart or Walgreens ($4-5). Smell is nice, and doesn't last too long. Best bang for the buck.

Pinaud Clubman. $6 or $7. Strong but great smell, feels good with a bit of burn.

Thayers Witch Hazel-- alcohol free if you don't want burn, with alcohol if you do. A variety of scents, and about $8 a bottle. Very calming.

Sea Breeze. -- Clean and refreshing.

I follow one of the four with a light balm or lotion and I'm set. Nivea Sensitive Shave Balm works best.

I hate these threads because I always see something else I need to buy.
AV Musk, AV Sport and AV Ice and all great performers and nice scents. I have been through 40 odd AS's now (the majority the cheapers ones) and AV is hard to beat. Yes Proraso is very nice too. Gone off the clubmans a bit too thick and sticky.

There are really enough drugstore aftershaves available that it's easy to mix and match them for particular soaps or creams.

I like Pinaud Citrus Musk or Lime Sec with the new XXX-T. Regular Clubman goes great with Arko soap, Clubman VI Bay Rum with Tabac or D.R. Harris Marlboro and Skin Bracer with Proraso Green.

Pinaud Clubman

Thayers Witch Hazel

CVS "spice scent" (generic Old Spice) smells exactly like the real thing

If you are having skin irritation, just use Witch Hazel and some good quality skin moisturizer. Nivea is one.

It seems to me that you're looking for a balm or lotion more than a splash.

I've tried about all of the drug store aftershaves, and quite a few of the more expensive ones. I find I prefer the balms and really like the following:

Neutrogena Post Shave Razor Defense - Great stuff and one of my favorites. It's almost scentless and feels great, not greasy at all. There's a version with sunblock in it as well which feels and smells the same. About $5. I really like this one.

Gillette Fusion Intense Cooling Lotion - This is really nice as well with a slight menthol chill that lasts a couple minutes. Excellent stuff, I use it at least three times a week. About $5

Both of these aren't overpowering in the scent department so they won't clash with any cologne you're wearing. I've tried many of the splashes but just don't care for the scents so much and don't get the recovery aspects of a balm from them. I have some of the nicer balms as well, and like them quite a bit but find myself reaching for these most days as they work just as well and are much less expensive.

I've tried the Anthony Logistics one and really liked it. The ones I've suggested above are closer in performance to that than the others you've tried. I haven't tried the Every Man Jack one as I read some poor reviews about it and passed on purchasing it. The Nivea post shave balm in the white bottle is recommended a lot, but is too watered down in my opinion. I tried the Aveeno one as well, but it was a bit too thick for my liking so I passed it along.

Last edited:
Top Bottom