What's new

Best baseball player name, EVER!

"The Iron Horse"

Lou Gehrig

Very cool!

the young Willie Mays was "The Say Hey Kid" which may or not have been cool but Willie Mays made it like everything else he did cool.

Henry "Hank" Aaron had some reat ones too -- "Bad Henry" "Hammerin' Hank" for two.

Pete Rose was "Charlie Hustle" because he ran out walks and gave 100%. Unfortunately he later became a true hustler in the negative sense as well.

Hey Dan, I thought your intention for this thread was not to name who a person considered the best baseball player of all time, but the best baseball player names, hence Razor Shines. If that is the case I would also like to add to the list the Houston Astros' Mark Lemongello.

Ah, this thread got a bit sideways anyway. I was thinking it was great that there was a ballplayer with a shaving related name and commented on that, and things just kind of took on a life of their own. But whatever...it's all good! :biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Buddy Biancalana.

The announcers must have hated this guy. :biggrin:

Coming to the plate, the shortstop, Buddy Biancalana.

Biancalana takes the first pitch, ball one.

Biancalana leans in for the second pitch, strike one.

Biancalana steps back and takes a look at the third base coach.

Biancalana swings and misses, strike two.

Biancalana a .205 lifetime hitter, takes strike three.

Hopefully, Biancalana will not come to the plate for 2 or 3 innings.

Footnote - In 1985, during the countdown to Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's hits record, David Letterman instituted a Buddy Biancalana countdown calendar. Biancalana later appeared as a guest on Late Night with David Letterman, quipping "I'm closer to Cobb than you are to Carson." Buddy finished his big-league career with 113 base hits, over four thousand short of Cobb or Rose.

Ah, this thread got a bit sideways anyway. I was thinking it was great that there was a ballplayer with a shaving related name and commented on that, and things just kind of took on a life of their own. But whatever...it's all good! :biggrin:

I hope we can keep this going....this is fun.:001_smile There are a tun of names still out there.

Bill "Spaceman" Lee

What's even better than Coco Crisp is what's on his driver's license: Covelli Loyce Crisp - now THAT is a name!

Some love should go Nomar's way, too. His is just weird.

Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Ah yes, Bill Lee. I saw him pitch at Fenway in 1977.

I remember some interesting quotes of his.

Explaining the hemispheres of the brain, the noted southpaw once observed: "You have a left and a right. The left side controls the right half of your body, and the right side controls the left half. Therefore, left-handers are the only people in their right mind."

Lee was also asked why southpaws are always stereotyped as flakes, and he replied, "What do you expect from a northpaw world?"

“Tibetan priests can sit naked in the snow at 18,000 feet and they have such powers of mental discipline, that if they put their minds to it, they can generate enough heat to melt snow for 20 feet around. Now you put that Tibetan priest on the mound, naked or not, with the baseball in his palm, and he’ll take that power of concentration and make the ball disappear and then materialize down the line in the catcher’s mitt. There’s my idea of a relief pitcher.
- Bill Lee, on the perfect pitcher

My googling must be slipping. I can't seem to find the May 1978 Sports Illustrated cover with him in a space suit.

Leroy "Satchel" Paige

He earned his nickname, "Satchel," as a young boy, when he took a job carrying bags (and satchels) at railroad stations for passengers.

proxy.php

Lawrence "Yogi" Berra

"It ain't over 'til it's over "

"Never answer an anonymous letter"

"It's deja vu all over again"

" When you come to a fork in the road....Take it "

" I didn't really say everything I said "

When asked what time is was......" you mean now?"

On why NY lost the 1960 series to Pittsburgh " We made too many wrong mistakes"

" You can observe a lot by watching "

" The future ain't what it used to be "

" It gets late early out here"

" If the people don't want to come out to the ballpark, nobody's going to stop them "

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

Top Bottom