What's new

Beginner Scotch

I just started drinking a little scotch and then have not bought another bottle for like a year. I am going to pick up a GLENVIELT 12 year old and I also need a glass. I saw the bottle online for 34 dollars plus shipping. Where can I get a good scotch glass and what kind should I get. Up until now I just poured it into a small water glass and drank it that way.

By the way the scotch that I tried was Macallan 12 year old, and Macallan cask strength. I liked them both. Not sure what to look for in taste but they were pleasing scotches to me.

Blends are where its at !

Teachers Highland Cream
JW Black Label
Dewars 12 year old
and, for my $50, the best Ive had...........Chivas Regal 18 year old.

Save your money and buy some really good Bourbon.

I just started drinking a little scotch and then have not bought another bottle for like a year. I am going to pick up a GLENVIELT 12 year old and I also need a glass. I saw the bottle online for 34 dollars plus shipping. Where can I get a good scotch glass and what kind should I get. Up until now I just poured it into a small water glass and drank it that way.

By the way the scotch that I tried was Macallan 12 year old, and Macallan cask strength. I liked them both. Not sure what to look for in taste but they were pleasing scotches to me.

Keep checking. I got one for $22.95 + shipping.

missionliquors.com

I just started drinking a little scotch and then have not bought another bottle for like a year. I am going to pick up a GLENVIELT 12 year old and I also need a glass. I saw the bottle online for 34 dollars plus shipping.

It's available at nearly any liquor store around the country, no reason to buy it online, just pick it up around the block.

Missionliqours does not ship to Oregon. I ended up paying 45 bucks for a liter at shoppersvineyard. I also but some beer.

Not a bad price for a litre. It took me awhile to get used to this Scotch but now I thoroughly enjoy it.

Cheers

I'm a huge bourbon fan (I actually found B&B though a bourbon forum), I've got about 30 different bottles of superpremium stuff, including some really rare and remarkable bottlings. But guys as wonderful as bourbon is, in terms of depth, power, variety of flavor and overall impact there is nothing and I mean nothing on Earth that can compete with Single Malt Scotch. There are amazing bourbons, there are amazing blends but neither can compete with a top notch Single Malt.

If you liked the Macallan then you are obviously a fan of Sherry. Balvenie Doublewood, Glenfiddich 15 yr Solera and Aberlour's offerings should be good picks for you. The Aberlour A'bunadh is their Cask Strength offering and better than Macallan's CS IMHO.

But guys as wonderful as bourbon is, in terms of depth, power, variety of flavor and overall impact there is nothing and I mean nothing on Earth that can compete with Single Malt Scotch. There are amazing bourbons, there are amazing blends but neither can compete with a top notch Single Malt.

Clearly a YMMV statement if I ever did see one.........

I like bourbon as well and granted I'm a newbie to good hooch, but scotch and bourbon seem to share only six things, the letters WHISKY. They are so far apart in taste and power that one would not substitute for the other acceptably IMO.

Better yet get a few decent bottles of both!

If you're beginning: Single Malt Macellan 12 year is great...don't forget to drink it neat (no ice, no mixing) in a double-barrel old fashioned wide glass. :biggrin:

I consider myself a "serious" scotch drinker but when I first started in college I didn't know a single malt from a blend or what whisky vs. whiskey was.

Back then all I could afford on my budget was Scorsby or Inverhouse. Then I found Clan McGreggor which of the three was the best. Having started out with the bottom shelf blends by the time I graduated to middle shelf labels my palet was welcomming the likes of Johnny Walker. Then I bought my fist bottle of Glenfiddich and discovered singlemalts. That was a life changing experience. Of all the ones I've tried, Glenmorajie Sherry Oak finish is one of my personal favorites. I tend to steer clear of the blends these days but Johnny Walker Blue Label would be the one notable exception.

But for a beginner in the under $50.00 range I would recommend the Glenmoranjie Sherry Oak Finish or Glenlivit 12.

Nope not when nearly all major whisk(e)y experts throughout the world agree. :wink:

I'm sorry I guess it's just the fact that myself and some friends vastly prefer bourbon and do find it to be more complex than scotch. Sometimes I just simply wonder if your fine single malts would stack up under blind tastings.

I am however looking into single malts more and more as I figure I should know more about them regardless of my personal tastes.

But I digress, sounds like you have an impressive bourbon collection, THAT I can drink to.

Well, whisky vs whiskey is just two different spellings of the same word.

Tim

Ahh but there is a difference, to speed up my posting, I'll just quote from wikipedia:

"The spelling whisky (plural whiskies) is generally used for whiskies distilled in Scotland, Wales, Canada, and Japan, while whiskey is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and America. Even though a 1968 directive of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms specifies "whisky" as the official U.S. spelling, it allows labeling as "whiskey" in deference to tradition and most U.S. producers still use the historical spelling."

Also lets keep in mind that Scotch is ONLY made in Scotland, anywhere else it is just whisky (or whiskey).

-80s

Top Bottom