What's new

Beer

Bohemia is a fine swill. Another fine Mexibrew that goes extremely well with yardwork or just a typical Texas afternoon is Modelo. A 12-pack (cans. Yah, I know but we are referring to cheap beer) will only set you back about $10.

If I never see, taste or smell anything Old Milwaukee related in my life, it would be too soon. Too many nights in small town taverns drinking OM and eating pickled foods. :eek:

Whats wrong with pickled foods???:biggrin: My buddy's dad owns a small neighborhood bar in the inner city and some Sunday evenings we stop down. Im talking a real old joint. 1 long bar that seats about 25 and just booths on the other side along the wall. Ive heard stories of some of the pickled foods they used to serve. Now its only eggs and pigs feet. I think they used to have some sort of tongue but cant remember. What bar types of pickled foods have eaten?

Believe it or not, there was a time when Schlitz was a very good seller. My grandfather owned several liquor stores, and in the 70's, Schlitz was his second best seller next to Bud. I wonder if one can still buy Schlitz and whether it is the same as 30/40 years ago.

A company is now producing and selling a Schlitz branded beer. I have my doubts that it has any similarity to the original.

Tim

There is a time and a place for American lagers... for most of my garage/yard time that beer is Yuengling.

But I've got a bad joke for all you old timers that remember some of the old ads.

One day a man was walking down along the beach, and decided to stroll down the fishing pier. Being slightly buzzed from all the cheap American lager he had been drinking, he became fascinated with watching the waves through the spaces in between the planks of the pier. Step after step he watched the waves below the pier at his feet. Being consumed by the waves and not looking where he was going, the man walked straight off of the end of the pier and died..... The moral of the story? "When you're out of Slits, you're out of Pier.":rolleyes: Yeah, I'm sorry, I know its bad too, but I' couldn't resist.

My grandfathers (both parents' dads) opened a tavern together in the '50s. My dad still has a lot of the can openers (church keys) the distributors gave their clients. We were looking at them the other day, and he showed me one from Griesedieck, which was also known as "Slippery Richard." He was trying to remember how long ago he'd had one. Anybody heard of it?

I'm sure I've ever seen a day that wasn't custom made for a stout, but that may just be me. When I want something that transmits light, I usually keep Yuengling and Sam Adams boston lager on hand.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats these sage words, "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew."

I have a 12 pack of Schaefers on hand right now...in cans, no less.:rolleyes:

Also, the local pizza shop carries Carling Black Label....$4.99 a 12 pack.

And on occasion, I'll have Schlitz.

PBR seems to be a regular for our post mountain bike rides.

FYI..I think the same company that markets PBR, Miller, etc, also markets Schlits and Strohs...the recipe is the same, according to the information out there.
Sometimes a stout is a bit too much on a hot summer day...but these times are usually filled with a nice IPA such as Redhook or Bell's or Stone.

My grandfathers (both parents' dads) opened a tavern together in the '50s. My dad still has a lot of the can openers (church keys) the distributors gave their clients. We were looking at them the other day, and he showed me one from Griesedieck, which was also known as "Slippery Richard." He was trying to remember how long ago he'd had one. Anybody heard of it?

I do recall some other brand that used to mention "Papa Joe Griesedieck" in their ads. That was back in the 60's or early 70's. I feel like it may have been Falstaff, but that was a long time ago. I need to go try to look that up.

Tim

I do recall some other brand that used to mention "Papa Joe Griesedieck" in their ads. That was back in the 60's or early 70's. I feel like it may have been Falstaff, but that was a long time ago. I need to go try to look that up.

Tim

Well, I'll be damned - it was Falstaff. There are several references on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griesedieck_Brothers_beer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBC_Root_Beer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falstaff_Brewing_Corporation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemp_Mansion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GB

There are even more than that.

Tim

Rolling Rock, ice cold, on a hot day, when there are no other micros or homebrew availble.

I concur. Rolling Rock is under-appreciated. It's not great stuff. It doesn't pretend to be. It's just what it is. A good tasting thirst quencher best enjoyed ice cold to wash down some Bar-B-Q on a hot day.

I concur. Rolling Rock is under-appreciated. It's not great stuff. It doesn't pretend to be. It's just what it is. A good tasting thirst quencher best enjoyed ice cold to wash down some Bar-B-Q on a hot day.

I agree. Rolling Rock, ice cold and out of bottle is superb on a hot day while bbq'n. Canned RR is horrible. Looks like it will be close to 80 on Memorial Day. Might have to pick some "33" up. BTW...........Whats your take on exactly what the "33" stands for?

When I can't drink at my favorite local prewery and pub, here are some beers I enjoy:

Xingu (Brazilian Black Beer)
Guiness (need I say more)
Red Stripe
Full Sail
Bass
Censored (copper tasting beer- better than Killian's Irish Red)
Most New Belgium Beers (Fat Tire, etc....)
Bottington's British Pub Ale (picture a light version of Guiness)

Of course the only other requirment is a really cold glass fresh out of the freezer.

:biggrin:

I have a 12 pack of Schaefers on hand right now...in cans, no less.:rolleyes:

Also, the local pizza shop carries Carling Black Label....$4.99 a 12 pack.

And on occasion, I'll have Schlitz.

PBR seems to be a regular for our post mountain bike rides.

FYI..I think the same company that markets PBR, Miller, etc, also markets Schlits and Strohs...the recipe is the same, according to the information out there.

Take a look-see over here, for starters. GW Pabst owns 25 formerly-regional and some national beer brands, which are now all brewed -- to separate and distinct recipes, I might add -- at Miller production facilities under contract.

Miller brews these to make extra money from their brewing capacity, but that's the end of the relationship, since they compete in the marketplace with High Life, etc.

As to Schlitz bearing any similarity to the "original," well Chicago-area folks may now seek out pre-1976-recipe-change Schlitz, which is out and about. Schlitz, in a form slightly modified from the much-ballyhooed recipe shift of 1976, has been around, well, since then. Ownership has changed, as well as market position, since Schlitz was #1 back then.

Friends of mine who drank it back in the day tend to remember it as not being all that, favoring "smaller" breweries that were more local -- those being Berghoff and the like, in Wisconsin.

I agree. Rolling Rock, ice cold and out of bottle is superb on a hot day while bbq'n. Canned RR is horrible. Looks like it will be close to 80 on Memorial Day. Might have to pick some "33" up. BTW...........Whats your take on exactly what the "33" stands for?

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/rolling.asp

apparently, there is no straight answer... I always thought it was the 33 word pledge or the repeal in 19"33", but who knows for sure?

To hell with all of those "designer" micro-breweries. When I was stationed in West Germany, every little burg had one or two of its own breweries... sh*t, we used Michelob "dark" to marinate chicken for the grill!

Today, more than 30 years later, it's Steel Reserve "211" (in the 16-oz cans). The only thing that comes close is a Miller High-Life tallboy with a slug 'o Golden Grain poured into it.

'scuse me, while I kiss the sky

Good to see some support for micro/craftbreweries and homebrewing! I don't usually buy my beer commercially, but do enjoy a case from time to time. I like Hollandia, Becks, Stella, Carlsberg, Kronenburg...most of the high volume Euro stuff. I gotta admit to liking the good old Australian lagers and ales from time to time and when I'm out on the town, but would much rather a nice James Squire Golden Ale - amarillo hops, anyone? Or a VB original recipe...God that stuff is nice.

Anyway, rumour time: I heard there isn't such a thing as a 'case' in America? 4 x 6 packs in a box, had here for anywhere from $30 up for full-strength beer. Most runs the mid 30's to 40's.

Cheers - boingk

Top Bottom