What's new

Been shaving regularly now, thinking it is a little rough

Okay I think I am on my 8 or 9th shave with my sightunseen razor. Been shaving every morning for about 5 days now. My technique is definitely improved but I do have some concern about the razor. I wonder if a heavier grind might work better, but there is also the possibility that the razor just needs sharpened. I did not have any irritation today but my shave was not as close as yesterday or the day before and they both gave me some irritation on the left side. I have also noticed that if I hold up the razor and angle the light down the blade there seems to be a rough patch (on the side I use more on the left side of my face), this has been apparent since after the first shave (after stropping for the second, it seemed to disappear but only that once). I tried stropping on the pasted balsa, but that had no effect. I notice no snagging and it seems to shave okay though not completely smoothly. Being my first straight I don't really have anything to compare to. I did pick up a cheap razor to see if I was capable of honing (can get it knife sharp but not razor sharp) but, before I dulled that, it seemed to shave a bit smoother. Any suggestions or comments?

Usually us newbies dull the edge quicker. Have you done the hanging hair test? If not I would recommend properly learning the HHT.

If there is more to it than plucking a hair out of my chin and 'tapping' it on the blade, it fails that test (also fails with head hair).

Last edited:
Top Bottom