What's new

Battle of the Blue's!

Battle of the Blue's!

Mmmmmmmmmmm…………106 degrees is in the forecast this week in the valley of the sun so it made me think about how I’m going to get the kids and myself cooled off. So during my morning shave a few days back it made me think about what how comforting my shave was. I’m not a big mentholated cream and soap fan since it feels like the face freezes and I can’t feel the whiskers melting away. But I do like a nice mentholated splash and in my time nothing comes close to the 3 Blue’s; Floid’s Blue, Aqua Velva and Saint Charles Shave Blue Line.

My review system is simple, 0-2 scale with 5 topics. Either it sucks, it’s OK, or it rocks.
Packaging:
Quality:
Scent:
Cooling:
Efficiency:

All three favorites of mine but in a head to head challenge who comes out on top?

Floid's Blue

Sexy Curvy Italian!

Rating: 2

This old world favorite has always been a tough one to find and up until recently it was still available. You guessed it, as with most good things in our twisted world of traditional shaving favorites it is discontinued.
Floid’s doesn’t skimp on anything, including the packaging. It comes in a lovely 400ml glass bottle and it lasts a long time. Almost an apothecary looking bottle with a black screw on cap it is the nicest of the 3 blues and one of the nicest all around.

Sure it looks pretty but does it work?

You bet it does. As with most Italian shaving products, I like the concept of keeping it simple. Just make it work. Floid’s doesn’t leave a tacky feeling; it dry’s quickly once applied. It doesn’t give much of a sting either (I love the sting) but it closes your pours and braces your skin without drying it out. My face feels fantastic after I apply it; soft, supple but most importantly healed.

Not Your Ordinary Barbershop Smell

Rating: 1

Most traditional wetshavers love the “old school” scent to a point. Let’s face it most of us were drawn to double edge razors and straight razors because of the nostalgia then followed the quality of the shave. Sticking with the nostalgic side; the scent of Floid’s Blue doesn’t ring old school like the Floid’s Amber but we’ll save that for someone else to review. Nothing bad but I had to point it out from my point of my review. The menthol smell is nice.

“Powdery” and “citrus” is what most reviews come attached to Floid’s Blue and I agree on both. More powdery than citrus but when I mean citrus I mean a hint of it. The scent doesn’t linger at all. Though the scent doesn’t attract me it certainly isn’t bad.

The Cool Factor

It definitely doesn’t disappoint in this category. It gives a nice cooling effect which lingers for a few minutes. It doesn’t rock the menthol world though, in 110 degree summers this stands out.

Worth the Expense

$46+ for 400ml what do you expect, It’s a big honkin chunk of glass.

Saint Charles Shave Blue Line​

proxy.php

“He’s a Square Benny!! The Kid’s a Square!!!

Alright not to overly dramatic but it’s a great line. It isn’t sexy, curvy, of cool looking but I wouldn’t kick it out of bed. The bottle is made out of clear glass, it has four corners with a cap. It keeps the goods inside and it isn’t plastic so that’s a plus. The label isn’t etched as it appears on the Floid bottles, it is a sticker but I don’t care for the hockey guy but it goes with the Blue Line in hockey.

Don’t Knock It Until You Try It

It isn’t from Italy or made by Italian’s (at least not that I know of. Wendy?) but comes from the heartland of America and made by one of the best traditional shaving artisans.
The results from Blue Line have been excellent. My face feels nourished, conditioned and healed but not much skin tightening as with some other aftershaves. It has a decent sting to it so I wouldn’t recommend this for sensitive skin shavers. It doesn’t dry as fast but doesn’t cross over to a tacky feeling. It leaves a very moisturized face.

Mmmmmmmmmmm……………Candy Canes!

I’m not sure what to gather from the scent but I smell peppermint or candy canes. The menthol smell isn’t too obvious but it is nothing that will clash with your scent at all. It is short lived and nothing lingering.

The scent from Blue Line and Floid Blue are very different IMO but Blue Line has a better scent.

Well it isn't Fonzy cool
Rating:1

I have a fine line of too much menthol and just off the mark. Blue Line has a fantastic fresh feel as opposed to a more mentholated blast but still enough to drop the skin a few degrees. One good thing is that fresh feeling seems to really last but it feels like it comes from whatever is giving it the pepperminty smell. It tingles which is nice.

Value-able!

$10! That's it! I have 11 SCS splashes and balms and there are extremely few products that come close to the quality for the price.

The SCS products last an absurdly long time. I have an Avocado Oil Balm that I've been using everyday after my splash and it is barely reaching the halfway mark. So you could just imagine just how little product is used.

Aqua Velva Ice Blue

If Floid Blue is a staple of Italy then there is no other better representative for the U.S. than Aqua Velva. There hasn't been much reformulation of this product from what I can tell but I've heard the alcohol content has been reduced over the years. I can't remember seeing the blue bottles in barbershops but I cant remember ever being in someones home growing up and not seeing the beautiful blue beacon calling out to young men. I couldn't wait to start to use this stuff when I began shaving and now I can't ever see my kids not trying this stuff out.

If looks could kill

I really dig the way the Aqua Velva glass bottles look. They have a heart shape to it and very well made shaker that is better than Floid's and SCS's shaker. Not to stray off the subject but their new plastic bottles are horrific.

The glass has a great look to it with the juices dark blue look, it almost look neon. Very cool.

Oooooh, Ahhhhhh!

Everything a growing boy needs; Glycerine and alcohol, what a magnificent product. I don't feel any dryness afterwards only refreshed and smooth skin. My face feels clean and braced.

Aqua Vela has probably the most brace feeling of the 3 reviewed.

What the........

Reminds me old moonshine smell straight out of the bottle. The only reason why it didn't get a 0 is because the scent is only bad from the bottle but one in my hands and on your face it subsides immediately. The scent lingers the most from the 3 but nothing obtrusive.

Right on the money!
Rating:2

The better of the 3 in menthol; very cool, brisk, icy but not mind numbing. It has a very nice blast of menthol that lasts the longest. It is very comforting to use this time of the year. My 6 year old likes it but says it is "spicy" and I guess hasn't grasped the concept of what menthol is.

Drug store brands are worth it!

Walgreens, CVS and your other neighborhood drug store likely carries it. At around $6 it is hard to top the value for what you get from it. From the 3 I feel you use the most per use and it doesn't go last as long as SCS or Floid but the price balances it out.

Final Tally

Floid Blue = 8

SCS Blue Line = 8

Aqua Velva = 9

There you have it folks. Let's here what you think :001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write-up! Blue Line has always been on my "maybe one day I'll try it" list. At the price you can't really go wrong. Aqua Velva is a face-freezing classic, but I'm not huge on the smell. For some reason I've never really though of Floïd as a menthol splash, but it's clear that it is. Not sure why I've never made the connection! Floïd is definitely my favorite as far as "image" goes--bottle, label, history...all very cool.

The only one I've tried is Aqua Velva and it's a favorite. I need to hurry up and try the other two.

Add Vito's Ice to the mix

also, I love Floid Blue, but I wouldn't pay $46 for it.

It smells good, but it's not "so spectacular that I get weak in the knees" or anything.

It's like a 7.5 out of 10 for me, scent-wise.:tongue_sm

Add Vito's Ice to the mix

also, I love Floid Blue, but I wouldn't pay $46 for it.

It smells good, but it's not "so spectacular that I get weak in the knees" or anything.

It's like a 7.5 out of 10 for me, scent-wise.:tongue_sm

I've been eying the Vito's line. How do you compare to Floid Blue?

Floid doesn't do much for me. It is good but not good enough to justify the cost, IMO. Blue Line is frosty but the scent is a bit medicinal. I prefer the Blue Line Balm to the splash. It may sacrifice a bit of the menthol but the scent is nicer. AV is simply awesome. On a hot TX morning I would prefer a bit more methol in my AV but, on the whole, AV is tough to beat.

Nicely done.

Floid doesn't do much for me. It is good but not good enough to justify the cost, IMO. Blue Line is frosty but the scent is a bit medicinal. I prefer the Blue Line Balm to the splash. It may sacrifice a bit of the menthol but the scent is nicer. AV is simply awesome. On a hot TX morning I would prefer a bit more methol in my AV but, on the whole, AV is tough to beat.

Nicely done.

I've been thinking of picking up the balm when I have to replace the Avocado Oil.

I LOVE the 400ml Vito's Amber Classic.

Vito's Ice? not so much.

It smells closer to Osage Rub than anything. Pure menthol.

not my idea of a fun scent.

It's cold though.

Nice, I'm adding the Vito's classic. Is it fair to compare it to Floid Amber?

I like the generic Vijon Blue that can be found at drugstores such as Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc. I like it better than AV and dare I say Floid Blue? If the Vijon doesn't have enough menthol for your taste, just add a bit of a menthol crystal to it and it will fix it.

Floid Blue is not expensive, about $11 per 100ml is reasonable. Unfortunately you have to commit to 400ml at a time, but I guess they solved this problem by discontinuing it :sad:

I have a sample of SCS Blue Line Menthol and it's just pure menthol, no scent. Yes, very cooling. But so is Osage Rub or adding a menthol crystal to any other splash, which I like to do.

Careful with the menthol crystals, potent stuff, it can freeze your hands and face off!

Great comparison! I've not tried Blue Line but AV is a big favorite with Floid Blue seeing occasional use. These see more use in the summer form me.

I like the generic Vijon Blue that can be found at drugstores such as Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc. I like it better than AV and dare I say Floid Blue? If the Vijon doesn't have enough menthol for your taste, just add a bit of a menthol crystal to it and it will fix it.

Floid Blue is not expensive, about $11 per 100ml is reasonable. Unfortunately you have to commit to 400ml at a time, but I guess they solved this problem by discontinuing it :sad:

I have a sample of SCS Blue Line Menthol and it's just pure menthol, no scent. Yes, very cooling. But so is Osage Rub or adding a menthol crystal to any other splash, which I like to do.

Careful with the menthol crystals, potent stuff, it can freeze your hands and face off!

Blue Floid is a pretty good value but yeah that is a lot of product which reminds of P160 which seems like they are for professional use and makes sense for barbers.

No joke on the crystals. I added some to some Clubman years ago and had no idea how much to add and threw a pinch in a decanter and you could feel the cold coming out of it and didn't even try it. About one to two crystals makes a difference.

Great comparison! I've not tried Blue Line but AV is a big favorite with Floid Blue seeing occasional use. These see more use in the summer form me.

Thanks Kevin. AV blue is seeing a lot of use and I'm pretty use to the scent now. You should try the SCS blue, you won't be disappointed.

I really like Floid Blue and AV. I think Floid is the better performer of the two, but not by much. I find them both to be very similar in scent, with the Floid having more powder (which I love). I got a 237 mL bottle of AV at Walmart for $6, whereas the Floid is $45 for 400 mL and thus roughly 4 x's the cost. Considering Floid Blue has been discontinued, the AV is a very good substitute at a fraction of the price. Thanks for doing this comparison, I enjoyed it very much

I love my AV Ice Blue. It was already 90 degrees and humid when I mowed the lawn this morning. A cool shower, followed by hot just to get the beard and head ready. Cool C.O. Bigelow cream lathered up on my face and skull, and shave. All this knowing I'm about to hit it with the AV. Once I splashed on the AV: Heaven on earth! I love that cool feeling after doing something in the heat.

Cheers!

I love my AV Ice Blue. It was already 90 degrees and humid when I mowed the lawn this morning. A cool shower, followed by hot just to get the beard and head ready. Cool C.O. Bigelow cream lathered up on my face and skull, and shave. All this knowing I'm about to hit it with the AV. Once I splashed on the AV: Heaven on earth! I love that cool feeling after doing something in the heat.

Cheers!

Nice! That is a whole lot of cooling.

BTW, Vito's Ice is CRAZY cold.

It reminded my of when I put WAY too many menthol chrystals into a bottle of AV.

scary stuff. I would say it's colder than Osage Rub.

Top Bottom