What's new

Baseball Playoffs

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think it started with those Yankees/Dodgers World Series in '77 and '79. Keyword Reggie Jackson/3 home runs in one game/hot dog/Mr. October. But like they say, it ain't bragging if you can do it.

I've got nothing against New Yorkers, I just hate the damn Yankees. I'm perfectly fine with the Mets, so it's a Yankee thing, not a New York thing.

A lot of people claim to be fans of a particular team, but I'll put this up there with any story you have.

My father, who was on the older side when I was born, saw a lot of good baseball in his day. Between spending his formative years in WWII and smoking uncountable cartons of cigarettes, he got pretty sick when I was young. He was a tough old bird, and I think it bothered him more for me to have to see him decline than did his numerous lung diseases, which ravaged him unmercifully. Nothing, however, bothered him more than the decline of the Yankees.
You can't blame him for getting used to the Yanks winning. From the time he was a kid until 1964, he had seen them win 29 pennants and 20 World Series. I have different childhood recollection of the Yankees. By the time I first began to really understand baseball, they were in pretty sad shape. The once mighty Yanks couldn't win a thing, and this tortured my old man to no end. In October, 1977, he suffered a few strokes and heart problems, and lapsed into a coma. He hung on until the Reggie and the gang knocked off the Dodgers, and died the next day. He simply wasn't going out without another title under his belt.
Talk about commitment.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Now that is a touching story. Sorry to hear about your loss...but glad he saw them win :)

A lot of people claim to be fans of a particular team, but I'll put this up there with any story you have.

My father, who was on the older side when I was born, saw a lot of good baseball in his day. Between spending his formative years in WWII and smoking uncountable cartons of cigarettes, he got pretty sick when I was young. He was a tough old bird, and I think it bothered him more for me to have to see him decline than did his numerous lung diseases, which ravaged him unmercifully. Nothing, however, bothered him more than the decline of the Yankees.
You can't blame him for getting used to the Yanks winning. From the time he was a kid until 1964, he had seen them win 29 pennants and 20 World Series. I have different childhood recollection of the Yankees. By the time I first began to really understand baseball, they were in pretty sad shape. The once mighty Yanks couldn't win a thing, and this tortured my old man to no end. In October, 1977, he suffered a few strokes and heart problems, and lapsed into a coma. He hung on until the Reggie and the gang knocked off the Dodgers, and died the next day. He simply wasn't going out without another title under his belt.
Talk about commitment.

As a lifelong Dodger fan, I'm glad your Dad got to see his team win one more, even it was my team they beat. There is a silver lining...

Today is such a sad day for me........
Ya know I was struggling with this one. Would I want the Sox playing the Indians or the Yankees? Regradless, I was hoping the series would stretch out another game to wear the winning team down a little more.

Cleveland has been hot but the Yankees can explode and that New York/Boston rivalry is always unsettling. Concern about Sox/Yankees outcomes is woven into the fabric of Boston Fans' DNA as deeply as the Fight/Flight reflex.

I just hope Torre doesn't get fired as he is a classy guy but I think the drums have been beating on this one back when they got so deep in the hole back in May.

I was going to gloat about the Yankmees early exit but it was no surprise. Yet another solid playoff run from A-Rod........Boy that guy can deliver championships, can't he?

My only hope is that Torre stays because he is a 1st class person and a great baseball Manager.

-Scott

Torre was already having bad thoughts in game 2. Bases loaded, tied ball game, he didn't know if he could take it anymore...

I took this picture of my TV to get this one. Me and my GF got good a laugh out of it so I thought I'd share.

M

modern man

Talk about commitment.

I was born when the Phillies won the Series, hope I don't have to wait to be seriously ill to see them again.

I don't know if it was supposed to be a sad story or not but it made me smile. :thumbup1:

Edit: Not the mans death, the fact he got to see the Spankies win one last time.

I've always have cheered for my home teams. even if the have been bad for years but, it's nice to have some wining teams around here. the
caves indians and hopeful some day soon my browns were coming for you next Boston better be ready we are

As a Yankees fan, I want the AL to win the World Series but I don't want the Red Sox to win. Therefore, GO INDIANS! Not to have a Series winner since 1948 is long enough. Now, the Cubs I don't ever want to see win. I'm very happy they had a quiet postseason run.. er.. appearance.

Top Bottom