What's new

Baseball Cards

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Anybody here collect them? I used to in the heyday of card collecting in the mid 80s to mid 90s. One of my sons is starting to play baseball and has really caught the bug. His little league team is the Angels so they’re currently his favorite team, much to the dismay of this life long Rangers fan. He’s started a modest collection of cards and soooo much has changed. It seems that Topps is the only name in the game now and they produce about a gajillion parallel sets for their regular set. It’s all very confusing to me. I need to get out my old cards, I still have them, and see if any of them are worth anything now days.

Questions: If you’ve used a grading service in the past who did you use? Is Beckett still the goto for card valuations?

I Used to, and still occasionally buy some for investment/childhood memory means. Mostly graded higher end cards. Latest was a PSA 7 Julius Erving/Dr. J rookie. I live near Philly. BTW, never used a grading service but have lots of graded cards. Sports cards have taken off big time the last few years.

My son was into sports cards for a while and he used multiple companies for grading. He said it literally took months and was expensive. At one point in time he had a couple rare cards on eBay and found out that investment groups are buying sports cards. I would say your best bet is to go to a local card shop and see what they would recommend. They are a very dedicated group of collectors.

I collected hundreds of cards in 70's-80's-90's. Heck I even have Bass fishing and golf cards, along with racing cards. I'm a sports fan and gobbled them up . Here lately I've been thinking cards have fallen out of favor. If you remember in the 80's there were card shows about every 2 weeks with some hall of famers signing balls. I have a small collection of those. I believe Beckett still puts out a magazine with fictional prices listed. I'm holding on to my collection until next time the card business gets hot. Then I will unload all I can. If I live long enough. HaHAA I'm 70.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I collected hundreds of cards in 70's-80's-90's. Heck I even have Bass fishing and golf cards, along with racing cards. I'm a sports fan and gobbled them up . Here lately I've been thinking cards have fallen out of favor. If you remember in the 80's there were card shows about every 2 weeks with some hall of famers signing balls. I have a small collection of those. I believe Beckett still puts out a magazine with fictional prices listed. I'm holding on to my collection until next time the card business gets hot. Then I will unload all I can. If I live long enough. HaHAA I'm 70.
I’m really enjoying collecting with my son. I don’t know if Beckett still published a magazine, but their online site is good for card values. From what I understand the values are now influenced by sales through their site. Card shops can register with Beckett and when you look up a card you can purchase or sell the card through Beckett’s site.

I’m really enjoying collecting with my son. I don’t know if Beckett still published a magazine, but their online site is good for card values. From what I understand the values are now influenced by sales through their site. Card shops can register with Beckett and when you look up a card you can purchase or sell the card through Beckett’s site.
Sounds to me that Beckett wants to a broker in cards.

Yeah you can find Beckets magazine at any good book store.
I have Beckett #1 with Gretzky as well as a #2 - Brett Hull signed after a game here in town.

Like you, I have a whack from the 90s. Baseball and Hockey mostly with some NFL and NBA and even PGA. This was an era they were over produced so aren't ultra valuable. But I have some from the 80s as well and some earlier NHL. Upper Deck, Score and Bowman were just coming on the scene as well.

I have a Gretzky Rookie I need get graded before I sell it in the future. It's not a million dollar version but worth a few grand I'm sure.

I have Beckett #1 with Gretzky as well as a #2 - Brett Hull signed after a game here in town.

Like you, I have a whack from the 90s. Baseball and Hockey mostly with some NFL and NBA and even PGA. This was an era they were over produced so aren't ultra valuable. But I have some from the 80s as well and some earlier NHL. Upper Deck, Score and Bowman were just coming on the scene as well.

I have a Gretzky Rookie I need get graded before I sell it in the future. It's not a million dollar version but worth a few grand I'm sure.
Bruce- man thats a solid collection both magazines signed.Wow,plus all the the different sports cards.

Anybody here collect them? I used to in the heyday of card collecting in the mid 80s to mid 90s. One of my sons is starting to play baseball and has really caught the bug. His little league team is the Angels so they’re currently his favorite team, much to the dismay of this life long Rangers fan. He’s started a modest collection of cards and soooo much has changed. It seems that Topps is the only name in the game now and they produce about a gajillion parallel sets for their regular set. It’s all very confusing to me. I need to get out my old cards, I still have them, and see if any of them are worth anything now days.

Questions: If you’ve used a grading service in the past who did you use? Is Beckett still the goto for card valuations?

PSA

Top Bottom