What's new

Badger hair tips breaking, normal?

I've seen similar with my Best grade badgers but not to that extreme. Especially with the black hairs as they are like needles- sharp and hollow and break easily. I've had an occasion tip of good hair break off as well. This is why i would steer clear of the Best grade- i know they are popular and you'll probably hear more praise about this grade than anything- if you ask me, if you need to buy a Simpson the only grade that is worth getting is Manchurian.

I found some posts on the forum of people noticing some hairs breaking when messing with a dry brush, either palm lathering or just messing around with it.

One of them I’ve attached below. I guess I’m not alone.

I guess people don’t usually stay for 5 minutes of more painting and swirling a dry brush on their hands and luckily (or not) just above a black surface to be able to see anything.

Since I put my boars to the same test and they also shed a few pieces I’m not going to freak out.

The chubby is packed with thousands of bristles, even if 200 broke I’d say the brush would be the same.

IMG_5909.jpeg

As a mostly boar guy I have only had this happen with boars that have been bleached and then dyed to make fake badger stripes. They tend to snap at the junction between the dyed and un-dyed sections of hair. Usually, they settle down after some use. To me, this tends to corroborate what others are suggesting that the hairs may have been over-processed.

I have also owned four badgers in my time. The only one that ever gave me any trouble was the Simpsons (the most expensive), which was a chronic shedder but never behaved like yours is behaving.

If yours continues to be problematic, contact Simpsons sooner rather than later. Mine was problematic from day one and I put it away after a couple of weeks of shaves and went back to using boars because I wasn't getting on with it. I got it out again almost exactly year later and used it hard for a month. It continued to shed heavily (10-20 hairs every shave) and I wrote to Simpsons and explained everything including the usage pattern. They agreed there was a problem but refused to replace the knot under warranty because it had been purchased just over 12 months before.

Dry brushes. It does not take long. But you have to do it vigorously.

Simpson Super Badger (I spent more time with this one)

IMG_6319.jpeg

Simpson Best Badger

IMG_6325.jpeg

Maggard SHD Silvertip (gel tips)

IMG_6321.jpeg

Maggard Silvertip Three Bands

IMG_6327.jpeg

Omega Boar 48

IMG_6322.jpeg

Omega Badger (Silvertip)

IMG_6326.jpeg

Last edited:
Dry brushes. It does not take long. But you have to do it vigorously.

Simpson Super Badger (I spent more time with this one)

View attachment 1706234

Simpson Best Badger

View attachment 1706236

Maggard SHD Silvertip (gel tips)

View attachment 1706237

Maggard Silvertip Three Bands

View attachment 1706240

Omega Boar 48

View attachment 1706241

Omega Badger (Silvertip)

View attachment 1706242
Case closed!

I had a feeling dry brushes would do that no matter what. And I stayed a long time at it, not just a few strokes.

Your photos look very similar to what I found, particularly with the boars.

Thank you for putting the time to do that, it sure helped.

It was dry?! That explains it!

You said it was "after today's shave" so I assumed the brush was wet from having been used. That would have been a cause for concern.

Yes, unfortunately natural hair brushes will do this if you do more than gently stroke the tips whilst they are dy. If you want to "pet" your brushes whilst they are dry, synthetics are the way to go.

Glad it is resolved though and you have nothing to worry about with your new brush!

It was dry?! That explains it!

You said it was "after today's shave" so I assumed the brush was wet from having been used. That would have been a cause for concern.

Yes, unfortunately natural hair brushes will do this if you do more than gently stroke the tips whilst they are dy. If you want to "pet" your brushes whilst they are dry, synthetics are the way to go.

Glad it is resolved though and you have nothing to worry about with your new brush!
Yes only the knot was moist but the tips were already dry. I’m sorry I should’ve made that a little more clear on the initial post. I think I mentioned on the following ones but not on the first.

Nonetheless, I didn’t think a brush would break hairs so easily, either boar or badger. We learn something everyday.

Thank you again sir.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Interesting thread - I have never experienced tips breaking in such a way although I guess it is possible in a brand new brush until after the first few shaves. I might also expect it with a vintage brush that has not been used for years and is exceptionally dry and brittle. As a test I have just taken a sample of my completely dry brushes, including two Semogue Finest, two Simpson Manchurian, two Simpson Best, and a Simpson Pure, and vigorously fanned them against my palm and fingers above a clean dark surface where it would be impossible to miss any broken tips. The newest brush is from 2016 and the oldest from the 1940s. I was unable to break a single hair, not one, there was zero visible hair or dust of any kind that came from any brush. I do not understand what you are experiencing but to me it does not seem normal; perhaps the climate in which the brushes are stored is a factor.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Interesting thread - I have never experienced tips breaking in such a way although I guess it is possible in a brand new brush until after the first few shaves. I might also expect it with a vintage brush that has not been used for years and is exceptionally dry and brittle. As a test I have just taken a sample of my completely dry brushes, including two Semogue Finest, two Simpson Manchurian, two Simpson Best, and a Simpson Pure, and vigorously fanned them against my palm and fingers above a clean dark surface where it would be impossible to miss any broken tips. The newest brush is from 2016 and the oldest from the 1940s. I was unable to break a single hair, not one, there was zero visible hair or dust of any kind that came from any brush. I do not understand what you are experiencing but to me it does not seem normal; perhaps the climate in which the brushes are stored is a factor.
I also did this to a few of mine, nothing.....

I don’t know, maybe I have sandpaper hands. Maybe my brushes were drier somehow. Maybe the hairs are from a weak batch. Mystery…

The photos above replicated exactly what happened here. Go figure… 🤷‍♂️

The brushes in the top four pictures I posted yesterday are frequently used. The Maggard Silvertip Three Bands had been use the same morning.
However, as I said, I had to do it with intent, vigorously. Normal brushing, like when you test the softness of the tips does not do anything.

Definitely you do not want to do it on a seasoned boar brush. All those tiny pieces are probably from the split ends and you don't want to lose them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I had a boar brush from China and Yaqi put it on sale stating that the bleached knot would have damaged tip ends but I still bought it and it shed a lot of hairs with some broken tips also, then it just stopped(it is one of my favorite softest boar brushes now). I would say it is how the manufacture has treated the hairs when chemically cleaning them is my guess because I have bought regular 24mm unbleached boar bristle brushes from Yaqi and they are excellent brushes with hardly any hairs lost other then initially new brush cleaning at first which is common(10 to 20 hairs lost seemed about normal for my 10 badger brushes) I do soak in warm water(2-4 minutes) any natural hair brush before use to make the hairs more pliable both badger & boar bristles is my thinking and really have not had any issues doing this simple task using a coffee mug kept under the sink when soaking is needed for about last 2 years. Brushes that have been sitting on the shelf brand new for years before being sold would be extremely bone dry I would think.

I've seen similar with my Best grade badgers but not to that extreme. Especially with the black hairs as they are like needles- sharp and hollow and break easily. I've had an occasion tip of good hair break off as well. This is why i would steer clear of the Best grade- i know they are popular and you'll probably hear more praise about this grade than anything- if you ask me, if you need to buy a Simpson the only grade that is worth getting is Manchurian.
Not true. Simpsons knots are still solid.

I didn't mention they weren't. I think the manchuriana are nice. I have issues with the other grades. Of course YMMV.
Your statement that the only Simpsons knot worth buying is Manchurian says that by exclusion. I have every grade of Simpsons hair and none shed or have tips that break. Now, if you say Manchurian is the best knot in your opinion that’s fine, but this is a discussion about a potential defect.

Top Bottom