What's new

Badger brushes

Legion

Staff member
I just noticed this thread in the shaving brush section, and thought I should get some eyes on it here.

Do we know if the government has issued some sort of import ban on badger brushes, or is it just the retailers choosing to go down that path?

I mean, I probably have enough brushes to last me until the end of my days, but might be a concern for the newbies.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am not 100% sure. I did notice that a shaving supply store out here in Australia that I purchased my Simpson Brushes from now only sells Simpson synthetic fibre brushes. I will have a look and see if they only sell synthetic fibre brushes. Their name is similar to our forum name and they are based in Melbourne.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just had a look at their website. It only shows one Badger Brush available and it’s in a gift set and one boar brush. I searched for Badger brush and then Boar brush. There might be something in this. I know Rudy Vey cannot send certain types of brushes out of the states or maybe he cannot get them into the states.

Legion

Staff member
I am not 100% sure. I did notice that a shaving supply store out here in Australia that I purchased my Simpson Brushes from now only sells Simpson synthetic fibre brushes. I will have a look and see if they only sell synthetic fibre brushes. Their name is similar to our forum name and they are based in Melbourne.
I've bought mainly from Menzbiz in Melbourne in the past when wanting a B+M store, and their website now says they only sell synthetic for ethical reasons. I just checked Simpsons website, and they are still selling freshly thwacked badger fur there, so...

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Just had another look and they have 34 brushes for sale and 32 are synthetic brushes. I couldn’t see any sign of a disclaimer saying if they were going out of Badger brushes for any reason.

Legion

Staff member
I bought my brushes from Beard and Blade. Good to deal with.
Maybe if you get time shoot them and email and see what they have to say. If there are import problems the retailers will know, I guess.

I can't find any info using Google, other than some articles by PETA saying some manufactures have stopped making badger products. P&G is one, I think.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Maybe if you get time shoot them and email and see what they have to say. If there are import problems the retailers will know, I guess.

I can't find any info using Google, other than some articles by PETA saying some manufactures have stopped making badger products. P&G is one, I think.
Done. Hopefully have a response tomorrow sometime.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I received a reply already. It is not a Government thing. They have moved away from Badger brushes due to the lack of transparency re harvesting the hair. They have no issue with Horse hair or Boar hair they are just not in their current range. He did mention that Edwin Jagger and even Simpsons are moving away from Badger brushes.

Legion

Staff member
Hmmm. I see a day coming where people will be coveting and hoarding vintage badger brushes the way some of us do antique ivory straight razors now.

Top Bottom