What's new

B&B group buy for Japanese kitchen knives**Update post 307**

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Yes it is my first wa handled knife, to be honest I wasn't sure how I would like it and thought it may be too big but in fact it feels really comfortable and natural, I have tried a couple ways of holding it so far and I am sure my methods need improvement but it is comfortable and works, so far I prefer a grip with my forefinger resting on top of the knife when doing precision cutting like onions or tomatoes and a full grip when cutting meat like a brisket :tongue_sm the one thing I did notice so far that I have a habit of doing on regular or western style handles is actually gripping the handle too tight which is not desirable and this wa style prevents that actaully seems more comfortable, again I think it helps that the entire knife and handle seem balanced together and not one or the other being overly heavy.

I agree- wa handled knives should be held with a looser grip. They're a bit blade heavy, so that may take some getting used to. Enjoy!

Here are the 120 Petty and 240 Gyuto Kanemasa knives I received a couple of days ago from Jon directly. It would have been awfully inconvenient sending them over the pond each time they needed to be sharpened, that's why I opted to buy the 500 Beston and 1200 Bester from Dave and have a go at sharpening them myself. Hopefully the Naniwas I use to sharpen my straights will do a nice job of doing the final polish and won't dish and wear out too much.

I must thank both Dave and Jon for their incredible customer service. Jon has really gone out of his way to get these knives, tsubaki oil and sharpening guide I ordered to me. Keeping in mind he was busy the last few months visiting all those knife/hone makers/family and still be able to provide incredibly fast and helpful replies to my silly questions is above top notch. Kudos!

Kudos to Dave as well. He's been generous with information to all my questions as well.

And finally a big thank you to Jim and B&B for introducing me to a whole new world of Japanese knives :thumbup:

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Here are the 120 Petty and 240 Gyuto Kanemasa knives I received a couple of days ago from Jon directly. It would have been awfully inconvenient sending them over the pond each time they needed to be sharpened, that's why I opted to buy the 500 Beston and 1200 Bester from Dave and have a go at sharpening them myself. Hopefully the Naniwas I use to sharpen my straights will do a nice job of doing the final polish and won't dish and wear out too much.

I must thank both Dave and Jon for their incredible customer service. Jon has really gone out of his way to get these knives, tsubaki oil and sharpening guide I ordered to me. Keeping in mind he was busy the last few months visiting all those knife/hone makers/family and still be able to provide incredibly fast and helpful replies to my silly questions is above top notch. Kudos!

Kudos to Dave as well. He's been generous with information to all my questions as well.

And finally a big thank you to Jim and B&B for introducing me to a whole new world of Japanese knives :thumbup:

You're pretty well set for stones. It will be a long time before you need to take thoses knives to the Beston 500. Just stick with your polishing stones until they no longer do the trick, then hit the 1200.

Came home to find my order delivered today. I decided these knives need a block worthy of their special status, so made one each for the married daughters, will give each one a butcher block and a SKD Nakiri (on the ends in the picture) and Santa will give the middle one with a Nakiri and 240mm Wa-Gyuto to yours truly. A quick pic:

proxy.php

Dave, I hope I can keep them sharp. Looks like one of your videos is next! :thumbup:

Came home to find my order delivered today. I decided these knives need a block worthy of their special status, so made one each for the married daughters, will give each one a butcher block and a SKD Nakiri (on the ends in the picture) and Santa will give the middle one with a Nakiri and 240mm Wa-Gyuto to yours truly. A quick pic:

proxy.php

Dave, I hope I can keep them sharp. Looks like one of your videos is next! :thumbup:

Wow, beautiful gift!:thumbup1: You made the blocks yourself? Impressive. Walnut and Maple maybe?

The middle board is walnut and maple, the two on the ends are purpleheart and maple. The purpleheart is really unique - the color is not well rendered in t he picture, but imagine royal purple. Yes, I made them, but the plans are from a member on another forum who was kind enough to share.

The middle board is walnut and maple, the two on the ends are purpleheart and maple. The purpleheart is really unique - the color is not well rendered in t he picture, but imagine royal purple. Yes, I made them, but the plans are from a member on another forum who was kind enough to share.

It must look fantastic, purpleheart is a wonderful looking wood.

I agree- wa handled knives should be held with a looser grip. They're a bit blade heavy, so that may take some getting used to. Enjoy!

I think the cutting motion is a bit different also. A think the Wa handle helps me have a bit more finesse with less chopping action and more slicing motion (whether chopping or slicing). Of course I am a crack smoker (j/k).

Michael

My gf is buying me a Sani-Tuff Cutting Board for Christmas and I need a new keyboard since my drooling has shorted this one out..........lol.......Everyone's knives look amazing....Truly pieces of Culinary Art.......Can't wait to get mine.....In other thoughts.....I have way too many soaps and creams that I will never use......thinking about doing a Mystery Box or just telling everyone whats in it and selling it as a lot.....not quite sure......Thoughts/comments ?

proxy.php

That cutting board is sick...........No really, it doesn't look so well.....you should send it to me so I can nurse it back to health........:lol:

My knife came today but I don't have any pictures and I didn't want to disappoint. I'm thinking that tomorrow I might make a big pot of French onion soup.:tongue_sm

This is my first Wa handled knife. I primarily use a pinch grip. Should I stick with the pinch grip or use more of a fishing pole grip?

Top Bottom