What's new

Audio Karma - Vintage Audio Discussion

I was excited to see 3 LP's show up today....

LZ - House of the Holy
LZ - Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix - Cry of Love

House of the Holy is an absolutely terrible pressing, tested on two turntables and different set ups. Amazon and online confirm, all the pressings are bad. Luckily Amazon is super easy to deal with, they are sending another (even though I told her it would be bad) and sent a prepaid shipping label to return this one or both, when the time comes.

After reading this I went back, in fact I'm listening to Houses of the Holy right now, to make sure my exuberance for this album is not unfounded. Honestly, mine is flawless. This re-issue that Page re-mastered is so multilayered, with all kinds of things going on in the background that I don't remember ever hearing. I assume that what you are hearing on your album is not subtle but very obvious. What is it that you are hearing, or not hearing?
I purchased this album from Amoeba Records in Hollywood. I tell you it was more than $20 or so that you mentioned Amazon.ca was selling it for. To sweeten the deal the cashier gave me a Houses of the Holy TT mat, stickers, buttons, postcard. I gave it all to my son except the mat. The mat is sitting on top of the deerskin mat that resides on my Technics TT.

@DudeAbides Major distortion in both speakers. Many are saying it's on the original and only on Side 2, Last Track, The Ocean...but mine is layered with muffling and sounds like when you have crappy speakers or dust all over the needle.

Another copy on it's way and hoping for the best. Apparently some are OK, but very few. Others are saying it's on the originals and high quality digital masters too, so may just be more pronounced on the Vinyl.

If my next one comes the same, I can probably live with it. The first three were flawless and when I listened to IV (Zoso or whatever you want to call it), it was flawless as well.

For $18.88, I can probably live with it, but will continue to try for a good one as Amazon has no issues with me trying.

Lots of discussion on here, but I hadn't read any when I made my discovery. I was on the lookout for it based on a couple Amazon reviews:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...rs-zoso-houses-of-the-holy-etc.364096/page-10

Yah, that's not good, good luck with the next one. You're not talking about the Deluxe re-issue are you? I would assume you're not at that price. I have the single album classic version. There are good ones out there, mine is definitely not muffled.

All of mine are just the remastered albums, non deluxe.

As much as the outtakes and demos used to interest me, its the orignal albums I listen to.

I have a 12 CD bootleg outtake set of LZ stuff and can't honestly say I have ever listened to it. Same as some of the Jimi bootlegs I have, there are only so many demo versions of Purole Haze I can listen to in a row.

The live concerts are another story, now those I'd find interesting.

omg! I'm so happy I found this thread! My poor SL-Q2 and my records have been collecting dust at my mother's house because I didn't have a place for them in my apartment. Buuuuuut that's finally changed, so I'm gonna get that over here around Thanksgiving. I've had a brand new Grado Gold cartridge sitting around waiting to be installed for almost a year now -- I need to hear that thang!

My reference album for whenever I tweak or move my setup: All Things Must Pass​

omg! I'm so happy I found this thread! My poor SL-Q2 and my records have been collecting dust at my mother's house because I didn't have a place for them in my apartment. Buuuuuut that's finally changed, so I'm gonna get that over here around Thanksgiving. I've had a brand new Grado Gold cartridge sitting around waiting to be installed for almost a year now -- I need to hear that thang!

My reference album for whenever I tweak or move my setup: All Things Must Pass​

Woot Woot....It's nice when you can revisit an old system and get it working again. Nothing wrong with that table and a nice Grado Gold Cartridge should do it wonders.

I'm still waiting for the CCR, Springsteen and Beatles Mono (currently $299) to come down a bit in price.

In the meantime, the Song/Band thread was on a Dire Straits kick today, so when I saw the complete LP Box set on Amazon for $99 shipped....I hit pay now. [emoji106]1: It still shows $200 on the .com site and even the .ca, shows it as $170+ in the price tracktor. My fear is it won't ship as it shows shipping in 3-5 weeks, but I've had had luck some of that stuff in the past but also had stuff not come through.

I figured for $99, it's a good deal and a good way to get in to a band I never really listened to but know I should...plus I'm a sucker for complete collections on Vinyl.

$dire-straits-the-studio-albums-1978---1991-set.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome be sure to post pics!

Will do, I got a few yesterday but before I played them I noticed my stylus had gotten dusty and dirty from playing some others. I tried cleaning it following directions from the internet and now I have nothing but distortion and skipping around on the record. Ordered a new stylus and learned a $26 lesson.

Will do, I got a few yesterday but before I played them I noticed my stylus had gotten dusty and dirty from playing some others. I tried cleaning it following directions from the internet and now I have nothing but distortion and skipping around on the record. Ordered a new stylus and learned a $26 lesson.

There are a ton of DIY record cleaning solutions and methods. I don't know which work best or which people are using these days.

For cleaning my stylus, I still just use the needle drop on a cut out square of Original Magic Eraser.

I tried the magic eraser thing, they said just lightly run it from front to back and back to front 1 time. Now I get distortion from both channels and skipping.

I tried the magic eraser thing, they said just lightly run it from front to back and back to front 1 time. Now I get distortion from both channels and skipping.

I blow off all the dust, then I just place it under the attached headshell, still on Turntable and drop it in eraser 2-3 times...no movement or front to back etc.

Before & After macro shot:
proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll do that next time. A dry magic eraser right? I'm pretty sure my stylus broke somehow but I haven't had one long enough to know what they are supposed to look like so I just ordered a new one to troubleshoot it.

Thanks, I'll do that next time. A dry magic eraser right? I'm pretty sure my stylus broke somehow but I haven't had one long enough to know what they are supposed to look like so I just ordered a new one to troubleshoot it.

Dry, Original (no bleach or scents). One full eraser will last you years or decades, so I just use the rest for cleaning the bathroom.

I cut off a square then leave the rest in my TT Accessory box that has extra screws, brushes etc.

proxy.php

This is my favorite B&B thread - let's not let it die!

So since the last thing talked about was stylus cleaning; has anyone use the Onzow Zerodust cleaner? I swear by mine.

This is my favorite B&B thread - let's not let it die!

So since the last thing talked about was stylus cleaning; has anyone use the Onzow Zerodust cleaner? I swear by mine.
I own a ZeroStat gun, actually had two for a while. One was the Blue one and then I got gifted a vintage Blue one in boz from my wife's uncle.

It gets used regularly and I've done the tests with the styroforam peanuts and they jump right off the Vinyl. I should probably clean my stylus with dome actual cleaner and the little brush more often but I always forget.

When I do the whole ritual I clean the stylus with MagicEraser drop, brush the vinyl, with the anti-static brush, hit it with the Zerostat, jump on the couch and pull out the giant artwork or linear notes.

No new equipment added to my house, but still brining in plenty of vinyl.

Oh, you mean that crazy blue anti-static gun thing? I don't have one of those, but I'd like one. I'm talking about this:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Onzow-Zerodust

It's basically a sticky glob of something or other that you lower your stylus onto. It doesn't leave anything on the stylus, and you can actually see the crud that it leaves behind. They can be had for MUCH cheaper on ebay. I won't be without one ever again.

Top Bottom