What's new

Audio Karma - Vintage Audio Discussion

That's better....

Unboxed the COP-2A I had customized by a gentleman in Washington state.....

WHAT a difference good source makes.....

The Kyocera is a nice unit but everything sounded dead (like it was deep in a hole).

The Nak just blows the sound into the room.

The JRs are now gone... They have been replaced by nothing but music. Fantastic sound stage.

The 149's are just as fantastic as I remember them from 40 years ago.

A completely transparent sound stage

proxy.php
Nice nak.

Nice nak.

We picked up 3 of them.

2 have had total cap replacement. Each one with different caps so they have a subtle sound difference.

The 3rd was suppose to go off this year for a stock re-cap but things got in the way. There's always next year.

I was surprised at all the customization options this model has available to it.

I guess it has a large cult following.

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a turntable for of my old vinyl. This is for a modest setup in a spare room:

Most of the newer entry level stuff looks stupid cheap. So, I started looking around and found this for about $500 shipped - it comes with a power converter for 100 to 110 volts:

This guy apparently does a lot with Denon's and this looks like a nice table. I'd have to get a cartridge for it; since I like nice hi end detail in the treble region, I was thinking about going with something like the Ortofon blue. All in, I'd be at around $750 - $800 shipped to me.

The other option is a uturn orbit with ortofon blue, that would be about $200 cheaper than the denon, but it would be new. Only problem I have is the uturn looks like crap compared to the old Denon. There's also this: VPI Cliffwood Turntable, or maybe a Rega. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a turntable for of my old vinyl. This is for a modest setup in a spare room:

Most of the newer entry level stuff looks stupid cheap. So, I started looking around and found this for about $500 shipped - it comes with a power converter for 100 to 110 volts:

This guy apparently does a lot with Denon's and this looks like a nice table. I'd have to get a cartridge for it; since I like nice hi end detail in the treble region, I was thinking about going with something like the Ortofon blue. All in, I'd be at around $750 - $800 shipped to me.

The other option is a uturn orbit with ortofon blue, that would be about $200 cheaper than the denon, but it would be new. Only problem I have is the uturn looks like crap compared to the old Denon. There's also this: VPI Cliffwood Turntable, or maybe a Rega. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I have both a DP-2500 and DP-3500 platters. One with a Grace 707, the other with a Mayware arms.

Can't say enough good things about them. Reliable. Quiet. Consistent speed. Mine are getting on 45 years old and still working like new.

Have an old, calibrated Sonus blue but I am sure that the surround is not like it was ages ago. It still sounds acceptable but I would recommend that you get a new cart, not vintage, unless you are willing to spend some $$$ on restoration.

Excellent- thanks for the reply. I’m still kicking it around but that Denon sounds like a good option. Do you think ~$750 with a new Ortofon Blue is a good price for that table?

Thanks again,

Steve

Those Denon Decks sure are beautifull. Having to use a step down tranformer puts me off.

Anyways, here are some pics of my vintage iron.

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

DSC_0128.JPG

First rig (main), consists of a Yamaha CR-1020 which I restored myself - new caps, led conversion and a few service mods recommended by Yamaha.
CD spinner is not vintage, a Yamaha CD-S1000 SACD.
TT is Technics SL-1210 Mk2 with a custom silver faceplate - matches all the other silver fronted stuff.
TT has a Denon DL-103r MC cart with a AT LH-15 technihard headshell. Running through a Pro-ject Tube Box DS phono amp.
Headphones are Denon AH-D5000 with custom pads.
No speakers attached, this is purely a headphone system.
The whole thing sounds rather wonderfull to me :001_smile

Second rig is mainly used for PC duties and has an early NAD, New Acoustic Dimension, model 160. I bought this already restored.
I've inspected the work done and it's all good.
This powers a smallish pair of bookshelf speakers, Monitor Audio Bronze 2's.
Headphones are Hifiman HE-500, again with custom pads.
The level of bass, and detail, you can get out of these headphones with this amp is amazing.

I use a variety of Dacs, Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 on the main rig and a custom USB Dac on the PC rig. with a Chord Mojo that gets moved between systems when required.

Both the recievers do a great job for what I use them for. Much cheaper than modern dedicated headphone amps and so much better to look at. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_0125.JPG
    DSC_0125.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0126.JPG
    DSC_0126.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0127.JPG
    DSC_0127.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Nice - I would love an sl-1200 but they are highly coveted and it shows in current pricing. New ones are available for ~$1600.

That Denon dp-1600 is a Japanese market model so it does have a transformer which I’m not too keen on.

I inquired about a VPI Cliffwood which is their entry level model. It can be had with an Ortofon Blue cart for a hair over $1k. Stuff is soooo expensive.

Steve

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Those Denon Decks sure are beautifull. Having to use a step down tranformer puts me off.

Anyways, here are some pics of my vintage iron.

View attachment 899763
View attachment 899764
View attachment 899766
View attachment 899768
View attachment 899770

First rig (main), consists of a Yamaha CR-1020 which I restored myself - new caps, led conversion and a few service mods recommended by Yamaha.
CD spinner is not vintage, a Yamaha CD-S1000 SACD.
TT is Technics SL-1210 Mk2 with a custom silver faceplate - matches all the other silver fronted stuff.
TT has a Denon DL-103r MC cart with a AT LH-15 technihard headshell. Running through a Pro-ject Tube Box DS phono amp.
Headphones are Denon AH-D5000 with custom pads.
No speakers attached, this is purely a headphone system.
The whole thing sounds rather wonderfull to me :001_smile

Second rig is mainly used for PC duties and has an early NAD, New Acoustic Dimension, model 160. I bought this already restored.
I've inspected the work done and it's all good.
This powers a smallish pair of bookshelf speakers, Monitor Audio Bronze 2's.
Headphones are Hifiman HE-500, again with custom pads.
The level of bass, and detail, you can get out of these headphones with this amp is amazing.

I use a variety of Dacs, Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 on the main rig and a custom USB Dac on the PC rig. with a Chord Mojo that gets moved between systems when required.

Both the recievers do a great job for what I use them for. Much cheaper than modern dedicated headphone amps and so much better to look at. :cool:

Man I love vintage receivers and you've got a couple beauties there!

Dug the Luxman separates out from the guest cabin for a while before packing up.

I like the sound of the McIntosh a bit more but these old Luxman separates are no slouch. I guess anything would sound nice though the B&W speakers.

proxy.php

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Out of curiosity, which ones Mick? Growing up in the northeast, Mcintosh and ADS (speakers) were the dynamic duo back then! I've had several components from both along the way...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Oops, never mind I see your pic above. Looks like a MC2155 amp? And maybe a MX115 pre/tuner? Nice stuff!

Vintage Luxman too? Very nice! I use a Luxman integrated in my main system

Picked these up today for the second drop of RSD 2022.

They were the only titles I wanted and my shop had plenty of copies.
16555720069695097432165405646150.jpg

A friend gave me a pair of Vandersteen 1C's to replace my KG4's. The amp is a Kenwood KA-75 that my son found at his college-era house. Wow! Those speakers are amazing. I have a Luxman R-113 that I sometimes use but it needs constant cleaning.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Steve
I might be too late to party, but I just love my Rega Planar 3... the new ones are nicer looking. I bought mine back in the late 1980s.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A friend gave me a pair of Vandersteen 1C's to replace my KG4's. The amp is a Kenwood KA-75 that my son found at his college-era house. Wow! Those speakers are amazing. I have a Luxman R-113 that I sometimes use but it needs constant cleaning.
I have a set of Vandersteen 2Ci's.... they are sweet, esp for the music to which I listen. They are forgiving... great on the midrange vocals and instruments.

Top Bottom