What's new

Audio Karma - Vintage Audio Discussion

Wow, just found this thread, and it already feels like home. My stuff is pretty modest: Vandersteen 2c speakers, B&K ST-140 amp, B&K Pro-5 preamp, NEC T-710 tuner, Denon CD player, Philips 312 Electronic turntable, Aura Symphonics interconnects, and Distech 312SC speaker cables (the last two were my nerdy acquisitions... a dealer friend who was way more into it than me convinced me that interconnects and cables were the "real thing" and sold me the stuff below dealer cost).

Still have a box of LPs in my closet... including some nice direct to discs like Earl Fatha Hines, Bill James, and Tower of Power.

Unfortunately, a few moves and a recent downsize and everything sits in boxes while a denon receiver, sony dvd, and Mirage AVS-500 sub/satellite system system gets used. Hope to someday pull them out and just listen for an hour. And perhaps live viariously through this thread...

btw, for anyone still interested in a very good turntable, a new company called U-Turn looks like its taken on the challenge with a very good, inexpensive deck. A dealer friend compares it favorably to the old Regas.

http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/

proxy.php

Vandersteens are a great speaker. I bought my folks a pair of 1's for $100 and they love them for what they listen to and the volume they listen at.

I only have a couple of pieces of gear since I got divorced and moved to Texas. I have my Infinity Infinitesimal 01's and this rare Infinity preamp. Being a vintage Infinity fan, I was really happy to come across this relatively rare piece of gear.
The picture sucks, but here it is...lol.

Attachments

• $20141105_204127.jpg
    $20141105_204127.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 76
Very, very nice! Do you have other vintage Klipsch models?

Thank you! No I don't. I'm all done buying speakers for now. This was a gamble and glad it payed off. Been listening to it on my newly recapped Sony str 7055 and just out classes the Realistic 2100D. You'd think a 125 wpc reciever would out perform a simple 35 wpc one. Not when it's been restored.:biggrin1:
Sorry it took so long to reply.

I only have a couple of pieces of gear since I got divorced and moved to Texas. I have my Infinity Infinitesimal 01's and this rare Infinity preamp. Being a vintage Infinity fan, I was really happy to come across this relatively rare piece of gear.
The picture sucks, but here it is...lol.

Niiiice! Never seen one before. Very cool looking.

Wasn't sure where to post this, so here is as good as any.

I wanted a frame for my Signed Cake LP and my youngest delivered.

Ready to hang in my recroom.

proxy.php

Last edited:
SWMBO was a busy girl while I was gone.

Sitting here listening to Leon Russell on this chunk of 1980's iron through the LS 3/5A set up.

Brings back memories as I used to sell this marque back in the late 70's when I was in the fi biz...

proxy.php

Trying to decide what speakers to take back to Florida. I have it narrowed down to B&W DM303 and KEF Chorale III bookshelf speakers. SWMBO sez the Klipsch are too big to move :sad:

Unfortunately the little room dominators below are in the room I am previewing speakers in and everything sounds like I have my head in a trash can compared to them.

No, they are not leaving the system 1 that they have been hooked up to since 1981 so moving then to FL is out of the question

proxy.php

Dug the Mission 700's up from their shelf in the darkroom.

Looks like the KEF and B&W are going back in their boxes and the Missions are going on a road trip

proxy.php

Mission on top, KEF in the middle and B&W lower. Talk about a total difference in sound. Missions are the closest to the LS 3/5A set up but still just also rans :sad:

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sounds as if your Florida place is coming together.

Talk about ear worms. You start showing some of your stuff and I start looking at more equipment. I'm still quite pleased with my Axiom/NAD main setup and find myself listening to more music than I have in decades and even new music I had no idea existed.

I'll have to try and get a decent picture to post, but here's my system...

Yamaha C65 Pre-Amp
Yamaha M65 Amp
ADS L1090 Speakers
Sony NS3100ES SACD / DVD Player (Not vintage, but it's what I'm currently using)
Denon DCD-1520 (Used to be my primary, but now a backup to the Sony)

I had bought the ADS L1090 speakers as a HS graduation gift to myself back in the mid 80's. I ran them for a bit with a Hitachi receiver that I had got from by brother, then with a Nakamichi SR-4 receiver. The Nakamichi was a great receiver, but didn't have enough juice to really make the speakers shine, so it was replaced with the Yamaha separates about a year after buying them. Every time I've thought about changing systems, I can't bring myself to do it given how great it still sounds, everything still looks almost like new, and now I have all this history with it.

At some point I'd like to put together a second system based around a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers, which I had seriously looked at when I got the ADS', and I still like them today. If I were to do it today, I'd probably match them to a PrimaLuna tube amp, but I don't have a good spot for a second system right now, but maybe some day.

Sounds as if your Florida place is coming together.

Talk about ear worms. You start showing some of your stuff and I start looking at more equipment. I'm still quite pleased with my Axiom/NAD main setup and find myself listening to more music than I have in decades and even new music I had no idea existed.

It is still a month away from finished. Taking a week off to come back and "collect" SWMBO....

I came across a very old (brought back from the dead) thread on another forum about Audionics, a name I had not heard in almost half a century. I have a BT-2 preamp sitting on a shelf in the box from the mid 70's.... Flash from the past that is going to get me to drag out a stool to get it down to run it through its paces once again.

Been a while since I "played fi"... 'bout time I'd say $fi-smiley.gif

Took a while to find this older thread....

SWMBO located a pair of JR-149's and got them for my B'day... Red label - MK I - 4 digit SN.... (1977-78)

They should be here today (sez out for delivery)... so no pics.... yet....

To say I am STOKED would be a gross understatement.

They need grills and a previous owner did a Mylar recap on the x-over.

We bought a pair of LS-3/5a directly from the swisstone factory when we visited London back in the early 80's. I have sort of jonesed over the 149's since then as we did not have the time to chase down a pair of them also.....

For those that do not know the Jim Rogers...... this is a video (Italian) of some MK I. This is what they look like...

Now to locate some stands and a JR subwoofer LOL.....

That's better....

Unboxed the COP-2A I had customized by a gentleman in Washington state.....

WHAT a difference good source makes.....

The Kyocera is a nice unit but everything sounded dead (like it was deep in a hole).

The Nak just blows the sound into the room.

The JRs are now gone... They have been replaced by nothing but music. Fantastic sound stage.

The 149's are just as fantastic as I remember them from 40 years ago.

A completely transparent sound stage

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nice find. I read up on the Jim Rogers speakers the last time you mentioned them. (at least I think it was you) They get a ton of respect.

Top Bottom