What's new

Audio Karma - Vintage Audio Discussion

Hi, seems like it's been a while since this thread has seen some action! Here's my listening area: $IMG_20130422_183319[1].jpg

I just got a SL Q2 from my M-I-L's estate. I had been using my wifes SL 1300. Both are good turntables. She also has a Kenwood KX-720 cassette deck, Is it worth trying to pick up?

Attachments

• $q2.jpg
    $q2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 147
  • $sl1300.jpg
    $sl1300.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 148
  • $tape.jpg
    $tape.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 147
Any vintage equipement that works and may get used, is worth picking up if you ask me...especially if you get the "family discount"... Aka Free.

I don't have any tapes and no desire to get back in to them, so for me it would be more or a showpiece next to the useable stuff.

That 1300 is a good looking table.

Last edited:
Just a fellow audiophile checking in. Mainly vinyl as a format.

System 1- yamaha ca-2010/ct-1010/ ar xa tt/ ns-690ii
system 2- epicure m1/m4/ vpi classic tt/bozak concert grands
system 3sansui au999/tu999/ kef 105.2

I found my Zune 120 a few days ago after being lost for 2 years.

I hate little things that can disappear especially when they have everything on them....

Whew.....

Hey... no snide remarks on my taste in music :nono: I said it had "everything" on it.

proxy.php

Man... I've missed Al Green... Oh yea.... Back in the groove now.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been searching locally for a quality turntable, bought one on ebay once and it arrived with the dust cover crushed so I am trying to find one and avoid this issue in the future. So far no luck but I am not in a hurry.

I have been searching locally for a quality turntable, bought one on ebay once and it arrived with the dust cover crushed so I am trying to find one and avoid this issue in the future. So far no luck but I am not in a hurry.

The sky's the limit with turntables. If you're looking for a quality TT with good sound, Audio-Technica is a reliable name, and you can pick up a new unit for surprisingly little money.

$AT.jpg

Attachments

• $AT.jpg
    $AT.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 116
  • $2014-09-07 15.28.06.jpg
    $2014-09-07 15.28.06.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
What's your budget?

Patience and word of mouth are the keys to scoring a table locally. See if you have a local "record" store and be sure to tell any and all family and friends you are looking.

I got my Dual 510 in near mint shape, from a coworker for $20 and then later a schwack of free 70s and 80s vinyl.

Last edited:
It's cool to see a thread about this. I've all but stopped collecting vintage razors and I've sold all but my absolute favorites. I'm WAY into vinyl now though and currently in the process of building my second setup (for listening in the basement).

It's cool to see a thread about this. I've all but stopped collecting vintage razors and I've sold all but my absolute favorites. I'm WAY into vinyl now though and currently in the process of building my second setup (for listening in the basement).

[emoji106]1: Like you, I don't go searching too much online or instore for Vintage Razors, but I still look if I'm around. Vinyl on the other hand, I'll go through bins of it, stop at garage sales and see what they have. Picked up a minty Cat Stevens LP I was missing for $2 the other day.

Two setups in my house too. One upstairs in the living room and one downstairs in the rec room. Both seem to be getting heavy use lately.

My 2 LP copy of Jimi Hendrix Blues should be here this week, followed by Cry Of Love when it's released (pre-order) and the next two installments of the 180g LZ Remastered Series in October.

Last edited:
[emoji106]1: Like you, I don't go searching too much online or instore for Vintage Razors, but I still look if I'm around. Vinyl on the other hand, I'll go through bins of it, stop at garage sales and see what they have. Picked up a minty Cat Stevens LP I was missing for $2 the other day.

Two setups in my house too. One upstairs in the living room and one downstairs in the rec room. Both seem to be getting heavy use lately.

My 2 LP copy of Jimi Hendrix Blues should be here this week, followed by Cry Of Love when it's released (pre-order) and the next two installments of the 180g LZ Remastered Series in October.

I really want that Hendrix Blues record. I'm waiting on the Beatles in Mono box set to ship tomorrow from amazon. I already have the MFSL pressing of Abbey Road, so all I'll need is Let it Be and Yellow Submarine to have the full discography.

I really want that Hendrix Blues record. I'm waiting on the Beatles in Mono box set to ship tomorrow from amazon. I already have the MFSL pressing of Abbey Road, so all I'll need is Let it Be and Yellow Submarine to have the full discography.

I totally missed the initial vinyl release or even knew it was out but I've owned the CD since it was released. When I was on Amazon.ca the other night, I saw it for $50 and then checked the "buy from others" and realized the one they were promoting on the main page was not from Amazon but a third party and the Amazon one was only $25 with free shipping.

How could I pass it up?

I decided to cancel my pre-order of Beatles Mono box for $350cdn, as my EU pressed Stereo Box sounds amazing and it would be overkill to have both in my collection.

Last edited:
I'm spinning the new Ryan Adams LP, got my Beatles Monos tracking number, about to burn some steaks for a sunset beach picnic, to be followed by a nice long shower and W&B shave. Life is good this Friday!

My replacment Cake LP's showed up today, so my box set is now complete and flawless.

After a few emails and a picture of the defects, new ones were delivered no charge and no need to return old ones. They had some pressing issues but my set was flat and defect free except the two...others had more issues, or so they said.

You are in for a treat @Reckoner and I hope your set is issue free. I believe the Cake store shows sets going out later this month.

Last edited:
Just noticed this Box Set coming out on vinyl later this month...Tempting, but a bit high for 7 LP's but may be worth a pre-order to see if the price drops :001_rolle The US box set has dropped $70 since it was announced, and if the CAD ones does, it may be worth it.

This is the best era for Bruce, just like the Dylan Mono Box, it may be all I need for my Springsteen collection.

The Album Collection, Vol. 1 1973-1984 [8LP Vinyl]

$71bUozdVV5L._SL1500_.jpg

Edit....preordered in case price drops.

Last edited:
Looks like the Canadian Costco stores, at least mine, are stocking the Beatles Mono Vinyl UK Pressings for $329.

A smoking hot deal if you are in the market for a set. As much as I'd like to pick one up, I resisted.

The Springsteen set has dropped too, but still $25 an LP. I have all the original pressings and they still sound great to my ears.

I was excited to see 3 LP's show up today....

LZ - House of the Holy
LZ - Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix - Cry of Love

House of the Holy is an absolutely terrible pressing, tested on two turntables and different set ups. Amazon and online confirm, all the pressings are bad. Luckily Amazon is super easy to deal with, they are sending another (even though I told her it would be bad) and sent a prepaid shipping label to return this one or both, when the time comes.

Top Bottom