What's new

Attempting to try a Dovo Shavette tomorrow.

Background: I have been DE shaving for 2+ years now and I have a PIF Kropp 4/8 that I have been experimenting with this past week. It was "shave ready" when it arrived to me, but I'm sure two years of sitting in a box and my lack of stropping technique have led it's edge astray. So before I commit to straights, and hones I want to give the shavette a try and see if I'll ever be comfortable shaving my lip and chin area with something I know is sharp enough to cut hair there.

I'm hoping this will be sufficient for gaining experience and confidence needed to move forward.

Forethought's: From reading up on the subject I'm under the impression that a wedge might have enough "heft" to help me cut through some of my tougher hairs, and I'm intrigued with the idea that kamisori might be able to fill that ticket as well. While experimenting with grip, angles and technique at least now I can say that I'm more comfortable with the single-sided approach to straight shaving.

If you guys have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to leave a comment or more. I'll make sure and update this tomorrow and regularly after.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Shavettes are lighter that a regular straight, which is why I think many people don't like them. I personally love them, even going as far as to rescale my Parker. I think they are a good starter razor for those who want to test the waters per se. At the same time, whippeddog offers vintage starter razors for not much more money than a Dovo shavette.
Don't get me started on Kamisori, but if you can learn to shave and upkeep them, I believe they will shave as well as anything else out there. Also, the asymmetrical grind and shorter blade length seems to make it VERY easy to put a super sharp edge on them as well.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your journey.

I woke up this morning and tried to shave my lower cheeks and chin straight out of bed. It was a big mistake, I didn't follow any of my normal pre-shave routine and it resulted in a couple of really good cuts.

Here is what happened: I went for my jar of SCS Lime and worked it into my beard, trying to keep it wet and sloppy. Broke a Lord DE blade in half and loaded up the Shavette taking care and inspecting it to make sure the blade was showing uniformly. I WAS satisfied with the setup and decided to give it a whirl. My first cut was on my right cheek, very deep and felt as if the grain of my hairs instead of being cut, guided the blade to perpendicular and cutting me.

I persisted and moved onto the left side of my face. Quickly into it I cut myself along my jaw line on the left side. I took and hint, rinsed off, dabbed and rolled with the styptic pencil (first time in months) and cleaned up the "operating room" of blood.

After making breakfast and cleaning up the house a little it was time for a shower and another go, this time decidedly concentrating on stretching the skin. Overall it went much better, Surprisingly I had very little trouble in the traditional trouble spots like the neck and upper lip. I was extra careful on my chin and it it wasn't for an over zealous "buffing" I wouldn't have put a gash in my chin as well.

Today (Sunday) is an off day, and I was only concerned with a WTG pass overall, and was quite satisfied with it, but I'm going to probably wait until next weekend to try it again, so that I can ensure I let my trouble spots heal properly without causing more damage.

I'm still optomistic, are all of you? Please provide suggestions if you have any.

Thanks for listening, Marty

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Good start, as you are still breathing, right? :)

I would suspect your slow tentative strokes, the lack of weight in the head of the razor, and your prep did you in. Keep at it. Remarkably the hesistation and tentativeness fades quickly.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've been looking at a Shavette lately. For those times when life can get hectic and I go up to 10 days between shaving, it looks like a good option without all the fuss and maintenance of a "real" straight. Can't decide between a Dovo and a Parker, though. My friend has a Parker and the blade loading mechanism looks more complicated than the simple plastic sleeve design of the Shavette. For those that use a Dovo, is the blade held rigidly? Is the all-steel model any better than the steel/aluminum one?

I've read a few people on here suggest that the Dovo won't last as long as Parker because of the plastic blade holder. I can't say for sure, but I had a Parker and thought it was very well made, and although it may look complicated on the Parker, it really isn't. It opens and closes very easily, yet locks in securely.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Parker (I had an SR1), but i'm sure someone will come and say the same about Dovo very soon!

Well the thing is that I wouldn't be using it too often so I don't know about longevity issues. What concerns me most is closing that second piece of metal over the blade-holder pins and then sticking a fingernail in there (like I've seen on Youtube videos) to get it open again. I know my friend's SR1 was a little tight and difficult to open when when dry. It just seems like a finger-cutting hazard.

That said, the Parker does appeal to me since I know that barbers all over India and the Middle East use it every day, and I can see the plastic sleeve on the Dovo wearing out. But the Dovo sure is a "set it and forget it" design. And I like the padded tang.

I never had to stick a fingernail in there, it closed firmly and opened smoothly with no problems. Maybe someone on here would be willing to loan theirs out to you so you could test drive one before buying. I don't have mine any more, replaced it with a Feather and a Kai!

I have just started shaving with Dovo shavette which I have loaded with half a DE blade. I can not tell you anything about longevity apart from the fact that you can get replacement sleeves for next to nothing. The blade is held in place securely and does not budge even when I shave my chin ATG. I have the stainless steel scales but I do not think it matters what you buy because the whole assembly is so ridiculously light compared to a regular straight that the added weight of the stainless vs the plastic scales is negligeable.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've been looking at a Shavette lately. For those times when life can get hectic and I go up to 10 days between shaving, it looks like a good option without all the fuss and maintenance of a "real" straight. Can't decide between a Dovo and a Parker, though. My friend has a Parker and the blade loading mechanism looks more complicated than the simple plastic sleeve design of the Shavette. For those that use a Dovo, is the blade held rigidly? Is the all-steel model any better than the steel/aluminum one?

I have a Dovo. I have the red plastic sleeve that allows for the long blade instead of the green that takes 1/2 of a DE. It was so tight, I had to use some pliers to help get the sleeve in. So no, there is no way the blade will move around on you. I've not had the thing long enough to change out the first blade, so I can't comment if it will loosen over time. The sleeve does not hamper opening and closing the razor.

Ok so instead of following my own recomendation I decidedto shave with it again this morning. The results were mixed. Two more cuts on my chin, but the rest went pretty well otherwise. I'm dine with it for the week. Will safely use the de89l until i manage a "clean slate" to work with.

I can see the plastic sleeve on the Dovo wearing out. But the Dovo sure is a "set it and forget it" design. And I like the padded tang.

I've used a Dovo shavette for over a year and a half now. Its my daily shaver, I only use my real straights on the weekend. Despite the perception of the blade holder being flimsy, its held up perfectly fine during this time, and holds a half-DE blade securely (I use the red holder, which is designed for the half-DE blade). Unless you hold the two sides and rip it apart, it should have no issues under normal use.

For those that use a Dovo, is the blade held rigidly? Is the all-steel model any better than the steel/aluminum one?
Yes, its rigid. I would not take a DE blade to my face via an instrument held anything less than securely. A plus point for the holder is the little protruding nib in the front which makes it impossible to cause a gash with the square tip of the blade. In contrast, I've managed to cut myself nicely with a square point straight.

While I do not have experience with the plastic handled shavette, I believe the steel version is slightly heavier, and I'd recommend it for that reason. I prefer the heft of a real straight, so if Dovo were ever to produce a more hefty version of the shavette, I'd probably go for that. Having said that, even the steel version is extremely light, but if you persist with it, you will get used to its handling.

Ok so instead of following my own recomendation I decidedto shave with it again this morning. The results were mixed. Two more cuts on my chin, but the rest went pretty well otherwise. I'm dine with it for the week. Will safely use the de89l until i manage a "clean slate" to work with.

How is your technique going? Are you stretching the skin at all times? What is your angle like? The chin can be a bit difficult to stretch and has all those odd angles. Maybe we can find out and suggest a few tweaks that will help out.

I started out with the Dovo with the stainless handles.
I've never had the blade move around on me.
I also found that a straight is easier to manoeuvre round the curves than a shavette. Maybe because of the weight.

How is your technique going? Are you stretching the skin at all times? What is your angle like? The chin can be a bit difficult to stretch and has all those odd angles. Maybe we can find out and suggest a few tweaks that will help out.

I was thinking... The same as with my golf game this can benefit from video to critique technique. This weekend I'll make a video for self, and group evaluation.

Top Bottom