What's new

Atelier Durdan Vestige

I have used +, ++, and +++. For my beard profile, all can be used comfortably on a daily basis. I prefer the +++ and haven't returned to the ++ since receiving the +++. The +++ still struggles a bit on the first pass of a rare multi day growth session. So if Augustin ever offered a ++++ I would probably order it just for that situation. Otherwise the +++ is very effective, although shaving angle is important to retain smoothness.

I have used +, ++, and +++. For my beard profile, all can be used comfortably on a daily basis. I prefer the +++ and haven't returned to the ++ since receiving the +++. The +++ still struggles a bit on the first pass of a rare multi day growth session. So if Augustin ever offered a ++++ I would probably order it just for that situation. Otherwise the +++ is very effective, although shaving angle is important to retain smoothness.
When did you order it and how did you receive it so quickly?

Ok I forgot which one was released first with the +++ Ultra. I only recently discovered this brand and at the time of my order the La Faulx was just offered in +++ as well as the Le Maurice in 2.0 gap, which is right when I ordered.

Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige ++
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE
Soap: Zingari Man - Watchman
Brush: RazoRock 400
Aftershave: Alpa 378

IMG_20240329_150701_863.jpg

By chance is there anyone monitoring this thread that has the Vestige +++ and a WR3?

Seeking thoughts on a WR3 gap that would be comparable to the Vestige +++ (or possibly a small bump in efficiency over the +++)

Look forward to reading your comparisons between them.
Well curiosity got the best of me. I didn't shave this morning so I did an early evening shave with the Vestige using a new coated GEM blade.

The head is deceptively small since I expected a much larger razor head. I didn't order a handle with it so my first choice was a Razorock Bulldog and it screwed on fine.

Since this was the +++ Ultra I was overly cautious as I didn't know what to expect. Very little blade exposure to the eye anyway. The initial WTG pass it seemed almost like it was too light and I was expecting disappointment as even with one of the heavier Razorock handles, this kind of felt too dependent on using pressure instead of letting the weight of the head do the work, which is what I'm normally used to.

Since there was very little blade exposure, I kind of tried being less careful after the first couple of strokes, since this seems like a tame but efficient razor. I think you'd have a hard time even intentionally trying to cut yourself with this one. The XTG pass was just touch ups but the end result was a no-effort BBS shave. Definitely impressed.

I do think I'll probably prefer the extra bulk and weight of the WR3 and likely the extra blade exposure and blade gap, but for the first shave the Vestige impressed me.

Last edited:
Also wondering what the best technique to get the GEM blade out after using the razor. The top cap is pretty tight especially with that square thread that fits super tight in the blade, then the 2 nubs on the baseplate keep it wedged together. Once wet it seems like the suction held them together. I was sure I was going to slice my fingers just trying to separate. Luck happened and it separated but I don't know what I actually did to get them separate. I tried tapping on the top cap post but that didn't do anything.

It was like that in the prototype I tested -- was rather hoping that it would be modified for an easier fit in the new razors. Agree that the head is very light. Especially compared to my WR3.

Also wondering what the best technique to get the GEM blade out after using the razor. The top cap is pretty tight especially with that square thread that fits super tight in the blade, then the 2 nubs on the baseplate keep it wedged together. Once wet it seems like the suction held them together. I was sure I was going to slice my fingers just trying to separate. Luck happened and it separated but I don't know what I actually did to get them separate. I tried tapping on the top cap post but that didn't do anything.
Interesting. The only issue I encounter with removal of the blade is that it sometimes catches the threading of the center post, if not lifted perpendicular from the cap. I assume you are loading and unloading with the cap upside down, top side of cap resting on your finger pads (or palm)? I have found if you do that and press down on the center post with the thumb of the hand holding the cap and blade, you can use your finger and thumb of the other hand to pull the blade up, or wiggle it out if binding on threads of center post.

Interesting. The only issue I encounter with removal of the blade is that it sometimes catches the threading of the center post, if not lifted perpendicular from the cap. I assume you are loading and unloading with the cap upside down, top side of cap resting on your finger pads (or palm)? I have found if you do that and press down on the center post with the thumb of the hand holding the cap and blade, you can use your finger and thumb of the other hand to pull the blade up, or wiggle it out if binding on threads of center post.
I'll have to try that thanks.

Problem did seem like the baseplate was stuck on the blade and top cap and there was nowhere to grab to loosen.

Problem did seem like the baseplate was stuck on the blade and top cap and there was nowhere to grab to loosen.
I have definitely never had the baseplate stuck or suctioned on. I unload the baseplate with the same technique from above, with the whole head assembly upside down. Not sure if you have used the Blackland Vector before but I essentially adapted the recommended assembly and disassembly technique from it (and that is a razor I have definitely had some challenges getting disassembled from suction force). I essentially just lift off the baseplate with no real resistance that I can recall. I'm sure you will have it all dialed in with a few more sessions.

I have definitely never had the baseplate stuck or suctioned on. I unload the baseplate with the same technique from above, with the whole head assembly upside down. Not sure if you have used the Blackland Vector before but I essentially adapted the recommended assembly and disassembly technique from it (and that is a razor I have definitely had some challenges getting disassembled from suction force). I essentially just lift off the baseplate with no real resistance that I can recall. I'm sure you will have it all dialed in with a few more sessions.
yeah, I was initially thinking when loading the blade onto the top cap it was super tight and I had to use force. It didn't fit as easy as my Sabre L2, Shield (Avenger?). Maybe that's just the way it is?

yeah, I was initially thinking when loading the blade onto the top cap it was super tight and I had to use force. It didn't fit as easy as my Sabre L2, Shield (Avenger?). Maybe that's just the way it is?
If it was super tight and required force to load the blade, I do wonder if there is something else to consider. The only thing I could think of is if it got hung up on the last thread or two of the center post. But I think you would have noticed that as the blade would have been resting at an angle. Occasionally I have had to "walk" the blade down the center post threads if it was dropped on, off-centered, or just start over. But it has never required any meaningful force to load a blade on any of the Vestiges I have either tried or own.

Top Bottom