What's new

Astra "Do Not Wipe"--??

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is what you guys answer? It's there because you can dull the blade if you brush the edge with the cloth. People used to wipe carbon blades dry or they would rust and oxidize, dulling the blade faster. With stainless, it's not necessary, hence the warning. Have you ever seen "Do not wipe blade" on a carbon blade? I haven't.

It is categorically untrue that wiping a blade dulls it.
Though wiping a blade incorrectly may dull it.

Carbon blades were all the rage 60 years ago. If someone 60 years ago brought a lawsuit because they cut themselves by wiping a razor blade, they would have been laughed out of the county.

We have become so litigious that stupid warnings abound everywhere. Razor Blades are certainly not the exception!! :lol:

I don't believe it's there because of a lawsuit. I'm pretty sure it's there to warn against dulling the blade by wiping it off with a towel like you would a straight razor because I'm also pretty sure that would dull it. If you think about it, wiping it could possibly shave part of the towel or cloth thereby dulling the blade. At least that's what I've always read when this came up - until this thread :lol: I never even considered it warning against wiping with your fingers...

I think we're turning into a society that believes every warning is on something because of a lawsuit because they're so prevalent.

S

siouxsie

I don't believe it's there because of a lawsuit. I'm pretty sure it's there to warn against dulling the blade by wiping it off with a towel like you would a straight razor because I'm also pretty sure that would dull it. If you think about it, wiping it could possibly shave part of the towel or cloth thereby dulling the blade. At least that's what I've always read when this came up - until this thread :lol: I never even considered it warning against wiping with your fingers...

I think we're turning into a society that believes every warning is on something because of a lawsuit because they're so prevalent.

Thank you! At last someone else chimes in with some sense. Also, take it from Best Grooming Tools also. They warn against wiping blades for the same reason.

Remember never to wipe a blade after use, only rinse it with hot water. Wiping a blade will always dull it. http://bestgroomingtools.com/artist-club-razor-blades-pack-feather-p-197.html and http://bestgroomingtools.com/monsieur-charles-injector-razor-blades-pack-p-71.html

another site with blade wrappers and text states " 7 O’clock Super Platinum
Do not wipe the blade as it can cause damage to the edges
Use 7 O’ clock razors and 7 o’clock shaving cream for smooth comfortable shave. " The 7 o'clock platinums among others: http://razorbladecollection.com/indian_razor_blade_covers.htm

Think about it: There are many things people could do with a razor blade. Why only a warning about wiping it if they are worried about a lawsuit brought by a moron?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The reason I say it is categorically untrue is because I ALWAYS wipe the blade. Have always done so.
The only exception was a brief period to see if not wiping it made the blade last longer. It doesn't.
I get a week of shaves out of a blade, and could go longer, but change once a week even though I don't need to.
Your first examples are from Injector packs and are two out of hundreds of blade types with nothing of the kind written.
2 out of hundreds is not convincing evidence.
Your 7 O'clock example above comes from a page that has 54 separate occurences of "do not wipe the blade" The Gillettes are the only brand on that page that says anything about edge damage.
Gillette, the very company that originated the disposable society.
Blades are disposable products. A company that sells them, makes more money if more are sold.
So let's think about it.
The company that makes money by selling more products, and could lose money in a liability suit recommends you don't wipe the blade. Why?
Oh, of course, to help the customer keep his blade from dulling so it lasts longer.
Here is a page where Shark blades are listed, and you are cautioned not to wipe because it might remove the blades protective coating. http://www.shopwiki.com/100+SHARK+SUPER+CHROME+DOUBLE+EDGE+SAFETY+RAZOR+BLADES
Sure, I can see how wiping the blade against your face as you shave wouldn't remove the coating, but terry cloth or tissue would. Right?
One website reference doesn't make something true.

And I simply must stop wiping my straight on the strop. Don't want to dull the edge.

Last edited:
And I simply must stop wiping my straight on the strop. Don't want to dull the edge.

That's a lot different than using a towel to remove lather from a double edge blade. Your straight razor isn't getting caught in the fibers of a cloth... I still find it funny that this thread is the first time I've ever seen it suggested all of this in three years of reading forums...

That's a lot different than using a towel to remove lather from a double edge blade. Your straight razor isn't getting caught in the fibers of a cloth... I still find it funny that this thread is the first time I've ever seen it suggested all of this in three years of reading forums...
Generally, you would be gently wiping down on the blade (not against the edge) which does not dull the blade. Here is another thread that discusses wiping a DE blade from recently as February.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132252&highlight=wipe+blade

Just because you don't see a thread doesn't mean it doesn't get discussed. This one always crops up because the warnings are very ambiguous and deliberately so. It's very easy to put a clearer warning like "Wiping will dull blade" but this not put on the packaging. Why?

People that launch lawsuits are injured parties and whether you believe them to be moronic or calculating is irrelevant because for whatever the reason, litigation can cost a company a great deal if they do not take simple steps to protect themselves.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I'm not sure that anyone thinks it's a good idea to wipe the soap and whiskers off of the razor, that is what the sink and running water is for.

The wiping that I'm referring to is after the shave, when all is done, to wipe down the closed razor from top toward blade edge to remove excess water.

That is exactly the same direction and motion used on a strop with a straight.

In fact, I use a towel and then the strop on my straight when I am done to make sure there is no residual water left behind.

As mentioned by DE Shaver above, this topic has come up nearly as frequently as the "I hate Williams" threads. :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom